PDA

View Full Version : Publishing a Collectors Edition book

MrBubbles
01-22-2011, 09:45 AM
I have been walking around with this idea for some time now. I would love to publish a book with all the known Limited/Collectors Editions which have been released on the Xbox 360. Reason for the 360 is that most of my CE games are for the 360. (Pal-NTSC-NTSC-J)

I know it's gonna ben a huge job that has to be done, but I think the results will be great. Are there people around here that wanna help? I can't give any money, but I can put your name of website at the first pages of the book.

Also wonder if this is a realistic idea or not. :)

I used to collect Gi Joe, it also had a book where all versions of the figures and vehicles were displayed, including a value index. I loved to read it, and think that alot of collectors from games also love to see those kinds of thinks in an book.

gurpswoo1
01-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Love this idea, however with the constant release of edition you would have to restrict it to a particular year, i.e 2008 to 2009 or maybe a upto 2010.

You could make the book digital first, I would like to help, let me and others know what we can do.

Gemini-Phoenix
01-22-2011, 01:58 PM
It's a fantastic idea, although from the point of view from a X360 CE collector, I think it's an epic task! I wouldn't even consider doing this myself even just for the PAL region, as there are well over 200 known LE's and CE's for the X360 now, with dozens more added every year!

We have created a monster, as we demanded CE's, so now we have too many to choose from! And as collector's, we feel compelled to collect each one even if it's a game we perhaps wouldn't have previously bothered about

Mandingo
01-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Great idea!

Ayiu
01-23-2011, 02:14 AM
Great idea....maybe a list got to do with your idea :think:

I would be really interested in the value and how rare some Edition's are. But I can't imagine that such a rating is possible.

MrBubbles
01-23-2011, 02:20 AM
Great idea....maybe a list got to do with your idea :think:

I would be really interested in the value and how rare some Edition's are. But I can't imagine that such a rating is possible and if, you have to specialize on one system.

Got the idea last year, when I was thinking of my Gi Joe collection and the book I had. I have seen a book which contains released consoles, but never saw this for games. Your list will help definately since it contains ALOT of info!

Would love to start with 2005-2010 and add every year after that (so add 2011 in jan. or feb 2012)

I also like the value index, but I guess it won'tbe easy to find the right price since it changes every month :D

Ayiu
01-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Got the idea last year, when I was thinking of my Gi Joe collection and the book I had. I have seen a book which contains released consoles, but never saw this for games. Your list will help definately since it contains ALOT of info!

Would love to start with 2005-2010 and add every year after that (so add 2011 in jan. or feb 2012)

I also like the value index, but I guess it won'tbe easy to find the right price since it changes every month :D

hehe alright. It's a really great idea. But it's very difficult and time consuming.

I like such books. As a little girl I collected the figures from the "Ü-Eier" ( I don't know how they are called in other countries)
But I have a lot of books about the value from this figures with pictures <3

Mandingo
01-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I would love to publish a book with all the known Limited/Collectors Editions which have been released on the Xbox 360.

It's great that this forum is replete with 360-centric collectors. I'm quite sure getting help for your book won't be diffcult at all.

MrBubbles
01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
hehe alright. It's a really great idea. But it's very difficult and time consuming.

I like such books. As a little girl I collected the figures from the "Ü-Eier" ( I don't know how they are called in other countries)
But I have a lot of books about the value from this figures with pictures <3
Yeah, I also love books like that.
It's great that this forum is replete with 360-centric collectors. I'm quite sure getting help for your book won't be diffcult at all.

Ik hope so! I would like to start with the first year the Collectors editions were released and work our way up. After all the years have been completed, we could release a new version every year. :)

gurpswoo1
01-23-2011, 03:17 PM
I agree it's best to restrict it to a per year style rather than a collection up to now.

twistedsymphony
01-23-2011, 04:47 PM
I think starting with 2005-2010 is a great idea... I would make it an every 5-years thing as opposed to every year after that...

Anjelaoni
01-24-2011, 07:30 AM
That you be a great idea!! I would love to help you with that! :D
What if you publish at wikipedia? I think there is a method to print the articles on paper from wikipedia, I have read about it somewhere.

And this is a homepage to calculate the value of your videogames

http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/

MrBubbles
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
This is great! All the people that would like to help! Fantastic. :)

What we need to do:

- Collect data and pictures of the Collectors Editions year by year. Starting with the first year.After completing a year we can start the next one.
-Write a little article for each game with the content that came with it.
-Designing the book (pages) itself with a program like Indesign or something. Also the design for a cover has to be made.
-We need a server or something where pictures and data can be uploaded

gurpswoo1
01-25-2011, 10:58 PM
I just did a quick Photoshop mockup of a logo and put in an image of a Assassin creed with a poor attempt at a reflection. As a very crude example, is this front cover layout any good.

Direct link: (http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4820/coolectorsbook.jpg) for Larger image

Mandingo
01-26-2011, 12:41 AM
That's a good start. :)

gurpswoo1
01-26-2011, 01:06 AM
LoL Im guessing this project is dead with mr bubbles leaving collecting.

Mandingo
01-26-2011, 01:12 AM
Ah, sadly that may be true.

gurpswoo1
01-26-2011, 12:11 PM
I nominate Mandingo to take over, if Mr bubbles does understandly decides to abandon the project completely.

Mandingo
01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
nominate Mandingo to take over,

Surely you jest.:lol: I'm nowhere near qualified to tackle such a project. And believe me, without calling names, there are some very hardcore 360 collectors on this forum, and I ain't one of them.

I am E.O.C. (equal opportunity collector)

But most importantly, I am lazy. :lol:

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/meh.ro5669.jpg

gurpswoo1
01-26-2011, 01:13 PM
But most importantly, I am lazy

:lmao: , I guess we can't get around this problem.

Anyone want to volunteer.

MrBubbles
01-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Surely you jest.:lol: I'm nowhere near qualified to tackle such a project. And believe me, without calling names, there are some very hardcore 360 collectors on this forum, and I ain't one of them.

I am E.O.C. (equal opportunity collector)

But most importantly, I am lazy. :lol:

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/meh.ro5669.jpg

Lol, that picca did it. You're a cool guy. :superman:

gurpswoo1
05-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Mr Bubble are to starting this project up again, now that you are back.

MrBubbles
05-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Yea, still thinking of starting again. I guess it will be a huge project since they are so many different CE's from 1 game. US has his own version, Europe has and Asia also sometimes.

So I wonder what will be best, get them all or split them up?

gurpswoo1
05-16-2011, 12:59 PM
That's cool, I'm sure that would be alot of members interested in this project.

Let us all know if you need help with anything.

Personally I would spilt to one platform and one region at a time. i.e Xbox 360 / PAL.

Gemini-Phoenix
05-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Everything I know I have so far poured into this site over the years. Since then the amount of CE's has tripled, and I wouldn't even want to begin to list all of the X360 CE's if anything ever happened to this site and the database!

I definitely think that for older consoles it would be easy to create one book for pre last generation consoles, but for the newer consoles (Ie, X360 and PS3) it would take one book per every other year I would think - So 2005 / 2006, 2007 / 2008, 2009 / 2010 etc...

It would also have to be region specific, with maybe a book printed for the UK and another for the US / Canada. Printing the book for other European countries would be a much harder challenge, and I would say the majority of collectors here are either English (Eg, American, British, or Australian), or are from Europe but prefer to collect UK PAL releases.

But as things stand at the moment, we haven't even got a complete online database, so it would be unwise to write a book until such time as we are confident we are up-to-date on the website. Every day we are learning of new obscure CE's none of us ever knew about and adding them to the database

The only realistic way to do this would be to write a book based on some of the higher profile CE's to be released, such as the Halo CE's, Gears Of War CE's, Assassin's Creed CE's, SteelBooks etc. Make it appeal to the masses of casual collectors who may have splashed out on an expensive CE of their favourite franchise, rather than the hardcore collectors who buy things like Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus purely because it was limited to 200 pieces... Obviously a book based on obscure CE's would only be of interest to the true geeks, whereas a book based on things like the Killzone 3 Helghast Edition and Black Ops Prestige Edition will attract a wider range of readers

I know it sounds harsh, but that's the truth (unfortunately)