PDA

View Full Version : Day One Limited & Special Editions - Worthless after day one?

Gemini-Phoenix
05-15-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm sure you're all aware of these "Day One" Limited and Special Editions which get released by companies such as EA, THQ, and Activision with additional DLC for those who pre-order and buy within the first week or so of release before a lesser edition is issued?

Do you think these "Day One" editions lose their value after the DLC codes have been used?

Also, do you think it's right that they should be allowed to print Limited Edition or Special Edition on the cover, when after the DLC codes have been used, it's no longer a Limited or Special Edition? To anyone buying such an edition pre-owned, they're techncally just buying a standard edition with a different cover, as the DLC codes cannot be used twice (a deliberate incentive to buy new rather than pre-owned). Therefore, is it right that stores such as HMV, GAME, and Gamestation should be allowed to sell pre-owned copies of said Limited and Special Editions when they are no longer limited or special?

EA are the worst culprits, and it seems as if every single game they have released lately has had some kind of alternative Limited or Special Edition printed for "Day One" buyers.

Is the extra DLC an incentive to buy a game upon release? Or would you prefer to wait a few weeks / months for the price to fall by 50% and do without the DLC? In most cases brand new "Day One" copies are usually floating around on eBay months after release and can sometimes be grabbed for a bargain.

Would you pay full price for a second issue of a game when you know there was previously a "Day One" version available for the same price? I certainly wouldn't, especially when both are being sold side-by-side (as the two different copies of Crysis 2, Medal Of Honor, and Brink are being sold in my local Tesco store)

tallkid123
05-15-2011, 07:55 AM
They're rubbish.

Was looking for a PAL DA2 Xbox 360 Signature Edition and the only one I could find was $90AUS or so. Then I just bought a $30 standard copy off Dvd.co.uk and spent some of the difference on the strategy guide off Amazon.

DLC-only special/collector (hah) editions are just not worth it. Same thing with the Fable 2 limited edition.

gurpswoo1
05-15-2011, 12:09 PM
I think Dragon age 2 Signature Edition is an exception, only because of the foil cover.

The others though, I completely agree are a waste. The only one I got was Michael Jackson first edition. The others I haven't bothered. The worst thing is that the DLC also have a time limit and become invalid. Utter waste, but for those who were going to buy the game on day one anyway. get a great deal.

It's a nice way of rewarding the fans but for us collector's it's a slap in the face. They could just allow everyone who accesses the PSN or Xbox live the DLC free in the first week. No need for codes or these stupid e-mails flying about. Or better yet, they could just allow the first batch the DLC free. It can't be difficult to track a first batch serial code.

Gemini-Phoenix
05-15-2011, 01:09 PM
The worst thing is that the DLC also have a time limit and become invalid. Utter waste, but for those who were going to buy the game on day one anyway. get a great deal.

That's another thing which I forgot to mention - Why does DLC have an expiry date? Are these companies saying that we now have to play games whilst they are "vogue"?

For example, the first print of Battlefied: Bad Company 2 came with a code for bonus DLC, although this expired April 1st 2011 - However, brand new sealed copies are still for sale at my local Tesco, so anyone buying now will miss out. Why did this DLC have a nine month exiration on it?

Surely whilst the game is still available to buy brand new for a current-gen console, the codes should be valid? Is there even a reasonable explanation as to why DLC codes expire apart from the fact that these companies are just arseholes? It's one thing to expire or discontinue support for a game after the console has been superceeded, but not whilst copies are still being sold at retail for full price!

alk3civichater
05-15-2011, 01:15 PM
It's quite annoying to see "Limited Edition" on the cover (which is the same as the regular cover just with the added words) and all it is is a code.
This could be excused MAYBE if they offered some kind of different artwork, special packaging (foil, lenticular, or even better STEELBOOK!) and actually limited, numbered even, would be nice... It cant be that hard to figure out how many pre-orders there are and quickly print that on the box, or onto a slip of paper.
The real problem is that its mostly just a marketing ploy to get more people to buy day1.
There is sadly nothing "limited" except a free code.

Back on topic.. lol.. Absolutely they lose the value if the code is used. If I see an ebay item and it says "code already used" im most likely not going to buy it, because to me, it is then an incomplete "limited edition" (even worse when they dont tell you it is used, then you get it and its invalid!)

If they want to add a code for first batch/pre-order games, fine, just dont call them limited/special edition. Thats all I ask.

Gemini-Phoenix
05-16-2011, 06:57 AM
A SteelBook, fair enough, it's still a Limited Edition packaging long after the DLC code has been used, so it's still something nice to look at which is different from the standard retail copies

But when the only difference is the words on the front stating that it's a Limited Edition, and then only includes a code card inside, it makes you wonder what is so special about it aside from an alternative cover, which was probably unnecessary when the DLC codes could've simply been eMailed to thse who pre-ordered it

alk3civichater
05-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Completely agree with you Gemini-Phoenix!
Perhaps its a way for companies to try to add extra residual value to those who buy day one?:shrug: A customer loyalty kinda thing i guess for paying full price.. Either way I still dont like it lol

Gemini-Phoenix
05-16-2011, 03:26 PM
I think they're just desperate to get you to pay full price for the game by giving early adopters an incentive, rather than lose a sale to people who prefer to wait a few weeks and pick up a used copy for half the price

The publishers and developers hate people who buy pre-owned, and this is one way they can guarantee sales on day one, and also continue to make a profit from those who buy used or a standard edition as they will have to pay extra if they want the DLC

Personally, I believe they should distribute "Day One" vouchers alongside a new copy of a standard edition which entitles the buyer to free DLC. When these vouchers are gone, they're gone. Anyone else wanting the same DLC after that can still get it, albeit for a fee on XBLA / PSN, rather than miss out on edition specific DLC which has an expiry date

scourdx
05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Not to mention few of those developer re-release some of their game as GOTY and bundle all the DLC in one game. Some of those re-release are DLC code and not on the disc. Bleh.

alk3civichater
05-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Personally, I believe they should distribute "Day One" vouchers alongside a new copy of a standard edition which entitles the buyer to free DLC. When these vouchers are gone, they're gone. Anyone else wanting the same DLC after that can still get it, albeit for a fee on XBLA / PSN, rather than miss out on edition specific DLC which has an expiry date

YES!! I believe they USED to do that, like gamestop would give a voucher or download code on the receipt or amazon would send a code to your email. If only they would go back to that kinda thing.