PDA

View Full Version : VGA grading

gurpswoo1
05-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi all

Just wanted to get an opinion and your though on some VGA grading questions

1) Do any of dis trust the grade they give?

2) Would any of buy a game that has been graded 80 or below?

3) Have any of you though about grading one of your games?

I only say because I have been planning to grade a fairly large batch of Super Mario Galaxy 2 Tin Editions. They are all sealed but no one as far as I know has a sealed version. At first I though they could be fakes. but they came in a factory official box.

See here: http://collectorsedition.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2174&highlight=super+mario+galaxy

I guess the real question is, If I got 10 graded (brings unit costs quite abit down at this quantity), would this devalue the item because:

1) It's a PAL game as opposed the the 95% + being NTSC and VGA is relatively unknown in the PAL regions.

2) They may a get a low grade because if the stickers turn out to not be factory applied then they will consider them defects + grade it as opened.

3) Would any of you be interested, even with the above and huge cost. looking at £130+.

I also run the risk of VGA simply rejecting to grade to return back to me with a huge return bill. Has happen to others in the past.

Thanks for any feedback.

twistedsymphony
05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
honestly I never heard of VGA Grading until someone mentioned it here a few months ago.

looking at their pricing I would personally consider it a waste of money for a vast majority of games.

really it comes down to cost/benefit

1. how much did you pay for the games?
2. how much does it cost to ship to VGA back and forth?
3. how much are their fees?
4. how much will the VGA rating actually effect the value?

Finally after all that is the VGA service actually worth the money you spent to get it rated and sealed?

gurpswoo1
05-18-2011, 04:55 PM
For anyone outside of the USA is incredibly expensive, I just wanted to know if anyone though a VGA game was worth paying that much over the odds for. If the game was ultra liimited then yes I can understand. But for something like this, over 30,000 copies out there.

The trouble is I have these sealed tin but have no idea if they are real or not.

twistedsymphony
05-18-2011, 07:37 PM
If that's all you're trying to discern I would just send them one of the tins.

I have a serious question though... how would VGA know if they're real? I mean what qualifications do they have that we as collector's don't? What knowledge do they have that we as collectors don't?

mosavon
05-18-2011, 11:44 PM
It depends on the game, i saw this one guy on another forum had graded practically everything in his collection from CE to just regular games and i did think to myself why? would someone pay over the odds for a bog standard game just because its been to VGA, i dont think so...although it doesn't answer your question it was totally worth it on your DS Ultra, i definitely believe that it's worth more than others because of this.

Maybe other people can give you the answer you want?

gurpswoo1
05-19-2011, 10:46 AM
^ Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will hold of the VGA grading for now. I can't see how games of this low value being worth grading.

Mike1888
05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
For anyone outside of the USA is incredibly expensive

How much exactly? I'm in Canada and have a ton of sealed perfect condition old PS2 games that I'm thinking of getting graded. Are the prices really that ridiculous?

mosavon
05-22-2011, 08:19 PM
its not worth it unless you have something special in that collection?

Mike1888
05-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Well, I recently watched an MGS2 Substance graded 90 go for like $600. I have one in immaculate condition so that for example seems like it would be worth grading?

Just getting it graded seems to raise the value quite a bit and they look pretty nice in that case. But if the prices are really that high, then I'd pass, so just wondering if anyone's ever done it? It seems really complicated and troublesome as well.

mosavon
05-22-2011, 08:38 PM
you mean MGS2 substance?

The Russian Bear
05-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Could someone explain wtf all this VGA grading is please? I can't even get a definitive answer from google.

Mike1888
05-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Could someone explain wtf all this VGA grading is please? I can't even get a definitive answer from google.

http://www.vggrader.com/

You basically send your sealed games in and they are ranked on the condition and put in a case for preservation and display, then sent back to you.

mosavon
05-22-2011, 09:02 PM
i think you have to pay extra for the case mike

The Russian Bear
05-22-2011, 10:59 PM

gurpswoo1
05-23-2011, 09:00 AM
The grading itself is not too expensive, depending on the size and value of the game, it's the shipping to VGA and back to you that really cost.

Shipping can be quite expensive, mine was $110 with insurance back to me in the UK. The difference was the game I got graded was already in the USA and that part was cheap.

I would say anything under the value of $150 is not worth grading unless you do a whole load of games at the same time or you live the USA.

I'm not sure what the costs are shipping to and from Canada, but considerably cheaper than outside North America.

The case in included in the VGA process, you can pay extra for a UV protected premium case version though.

thefunk007
05-23-2011, 10:10 AM
I like the idea very much, but living in the UK makes this process diffcult - perhaps we can locate a resource in the UK that could at least make the cases?

Mike1888
05-23-2011, 04:34 PM
The grading itself is not too expensive, depending on the size and value of the game, it's the shipping to VGA and back to you that really cost.

Shipping can be quite expensive, mine was $110 with insurance back to me in the UK. The difference was the game I got graded was already in the USA and that part was cheap.

I would say anything under the value of $150 is not worth grading unless you do a whole load of games at the same time or you live the USA.

I'm not sure what the costs are shipping to and from Canada, but considerably cheaper than outside North America.

The case in included in the VGA process, you can pay extra for a UV protected premium case version though.

Thanks! I think I'm going to try it out :) And the UV protected case, do you know what the difference is?

thefunk007
05-23-2011, 06:15 PM
It stops the UV light penetrating the case to prevent sun fading :drool:

gurpswoo1
05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Thefunk is correct, some collector have noted that the UV case has a very small yellow tint to it, other have not noticed an difference. For absolute peace of mind the UV case maybe a good option if your items are on display and in direct sunlight.

Although the normal case does stop a certain amount of UV anyway, the UV blocking plastic is the same used for placing in front of rare prints and sketches on picture frames.

Mike1888
05-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Thefunk is correct, some collector have noted that the UV case has a very small yellow tint to it, other have not noticed an difference. For absolute peace of mind the UV case maybe a good option if your items are on display and in direct sunlight.

Although the normal case does stop a certain amount of UV anyway, the UV blocking plastic is the same used for placing in front of rare prints and sketches on picture frames.

It stops the UV light penetrating the case to prevent sun fading :drool:

Great thanks guys :) My games are all in my basement, with no sunlight at all coming in, so I'll pass on that option.

gurpswoo1
05-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Remember if you pay for the Archival option which gives a 2-5 days turnaround you are automatically upgraded to the UV case free of charge.

Otherwise the UV case upgrade is a $15 premium.

mosavon
05-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, I recently watched an MGS2 Substance graded 90 go for like $600. I have one in immaculate condition so that for example seems like it would be worth grading?

Just getting it graded seems to raise the value quite a bit and they look pretty nice in that case. But if the prices are really that high, then I'd pass, so just wondering if anyone's ever done it? It seems really complicated and troublesome as well.

so it was MGS2 Substance, that can still be brought new for very cheap...however paid $600 for that is stupid then?

Mike1888
05-23-2011, 11:42 PM
so it was MGS2 Substance, that can still be brought new for very cheap...however paid $600 for that is stupid then?

I don't know about the PAL version but the NTSC sealed is extremely rare and expensive. I'd say about $250 to $300.

mosavon
05-23-2011, 11:48 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00007KUU8/ref=sr_1_3_olp?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1306190757&sr=1-3&condition=new
is this what you have mike?

Mike1888
05-23-2011, 11:50 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00007KUU8/ref=sr_1_3_olp?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1306190757&sr=1-3&condition=new
is this what you have mike?

Yes I've seen that listing too and its not actually new. If you read the description it says in all lowercase "missing wrapper" lol. MGS2 itself is about $100 new these days.

mosavon
05-23-2011, 11:57 PM
heres a UK one,as far as i know theres no difference between the PAL/NTSC
this is sealed
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Gear-Solid-Substance-PS2/dp/B00006958G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1306191067&sr=8-1

Mike1888
05-24-2011, 12:04 AM
heres a UK one,as far as i know theres no difference between the PAL/NTSC
this is sealed
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Gear-Solid-Substance-PS2/dp/B00006958G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1306191067&sr=8-1

Wow, thats a very good price for the PAL one, I've seen them go for much higher. But there is a difference, here is the diesnake listing

http://diesnake.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=423

During the month of July in 2008, after the release of Metal Gear Solid 4, a sealed copy of this game hit a record price of $412.50 on ebay.

And thats not even graded! And 2 years ago! :whew:

twistedsymphony
05-24-2011, 01:04 AM
yeah sealed MGS stuff tends to fetch a pretty penny.