PDA

View Full Version : We should do something ignorant eBay sellers

gurpswoo1
07-17-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't know about anybody else but I am getting sick and tired of eBay sellers lying, cheating, being ignorant or plain stupid about the following:

1) Item condition
2) What Sealed actually means
3) What Pack well means
4) What pack in a box means
5) The value of an item to a Collector
6) How to comply with insurance terms and conditions.

The amount of items that have not lived up to the seller description is getting ridiculous.

Item Description, What Sealed actually means, The value of an item to a Collector
When an item is described as mint is should have the absolute minimal of marks. no damage, dents, rips, etc. Sellers are really becoming liberal with the terms mint and sealed.

To Fix this I propose that we create a grading scale of our own and simple refer them to the thread here so they can correctly give their item a score. We simple create the scale from 1 to 10 with each number given a detailed description with example of what it should be via a photo.

This will speed up the asking question process and better accurately describe a product. Seller refusing to give an item a score will almost certainly be lying about their condition.

The hope I guess is that more and more seller use the grading standard for collector's edition helping the industry as a whole.

What Pack well means, What pack in a box means
This is biggest problem associated with the type of items we collect, many of the Collector's Edition are delicate and require a certain level of protection. It still amazes me that couriers give all this information about how to package collectible items yet no one uses the information or flat out ignore it.

There is even an international set standard for packaging standards, yet these stupid sellers seem to think that "pack well" means a jiffy bag and "pack in a box" means a cardboard wrap then a jiffy bag.

It really infuriates me that I think I'm the only person who thinks "pack well" means using an actual box. Sometimes if you ask to pack in a box they will ask for extra money, citing the huge cost of purchasing a box. something like £5-£10. £5 is pushing it but £10, come on it's not like they are chopping the tree down and making the box from scratch.

To fix this, again this is purely education. Linking them to a page on the forum showing how to correctly package certain items. A sort of Do's and Don't. If they get the hint they will pack well knowing how will react should the item not arrive as described.

How to comply with insurance terms and conditions and who is responsible.
Both Ebay seller and buyers simply fail to read or understand the terms and conditions of using eBay.

It doesn't matter what the item is or which region you are from, The seller is 100% responsible for the item arriving and arriving in the condition described. There is no way around this and is why ebay favours buyers 90% of the time. The sellers simple don't understand the rules and it gets them no where.

A seller can not hind behind the fact that you did not pay extra for insurance, the insurance should already be included in the shipping price.

If an eBay seller gives you the option of insurance or not, this is actually against the terms and condition. They are effectively charging you something that has no value to you. You can be nice and accept the cost but be aware eBay won't take that into consideration when deciding your case or attempt to refund the charge you sent separably for it.

The second point about courier insurance (i.e Royalmail, DHL, USPS, TNT, etc) is what items are eligible, almost all collectable, cash, gold and jewellery is not covered. You require a different level of shipping (Royalmail Special delivery cover certain jewellery) or special collectable insurance.

Let's take Dead Space Ultra Edition, if you paid $1000 for one and it was lost or damaged in the post. Even if you paid for $2000 worth of cover, the actual insurance value of the item is $150, which is the original price of the edition. As you paid several times more for the game it is considered a collectable, in fact in this case the courier insurance will likely give you nothing as it's not eligible for cover under their insurance. You can get mad as much as you like, it's been like this for years. Also take into account that an eBay receipt is not a valid form of proof of value. It must be a retail listing so they can get a true value of the item.

Another point about the cover, if you are sending an item that is delicate you must follow certain packaging standards.

If we take God of War Ultimate Trilogy for example, if it was sent in a box with no space around it and was a tight fit. They will say the person sending this needs to go back to school or get some common sense. The couriers are somewhat aware of how an item travels through it's network and have given guild lines to ensure it arrives undamaged.
If you don't follow the guild lines then you have no cover, simple as that.

:nosleep: phew rant over.

vhal_x
07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Totally agree with this Gurps! :notworthy: xx

Littlefeet1
07-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Agreed. Even though i have Never sold anything on ebay nor thinking about anytime soon. I can definitely understand.

I picked up Splinter Cell Conviction with the Sam Fisher figure collector's edition. It should be arriving this week or early next week. It listed as brand new. So do i have a case if the box is dented, lopsided, or in any condition other than that was stated? I bought it because for the sole purpose of owning it as a novelty item and nothing more.

vhal_x
07-18-2011, 10:46 AM
If they mentioned any damage in the listing then no, theres nothing you can do, but if they stated that it was not damaged, then yes, you can go through ebay xx

mosavon
07-18-2011, 01:03 PM
I dont think ebay is worth the trouble most of the time, i've had lots of items arrive in a disappointing condition.

Sellers just laugh it off mostly and do nothing about it. :banghead:

gurpswoo1
07-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Agreed. Even though i have Never sold anything on ebay nor thinking about anytime soon. I can definitely understand.

I picked up Splinter Cell Conviction with the Sam Fisher figure collector's edition. It should be arriving this week or early next week. It listed as brand new. So do i have a case if the box is dented, lopsided, or in any condition other than that was stated? I bought it because for the sole purpose of owning it as a novelty item and nothing more.

If the item is question is listed under the "brand New" section, then the item must not be unsealed, resealed, removed from packaging or replaced.

In terms damage, if the seller as detailed the damage in the listing then you have no case, but I guessing he hasn't said anything detailed about the condition. You have acase with the following:

1) Damaged cause during transit to you
2) If the item has crush, dents, rips, rubbing or deep scratches.
3) If the item has is not as originally packaged ( i.e the figurine has come loose inside box)
4) Missing items
5) Resealed (common on shrink wrap seals such as the one you ordered)
5) Wrong Format, type or region.

If the item is damaged, let us know.

I dont think ebay is worth the trouble most of the time, i've had lots of items arrive in a disappointing condition.

Sellers just laugh it off mostly and do nothing about it.

I know what you mean, it's also the inflated prices that really annoy me.

I think pretty much every member on this forum can tell us about a horror story about eBay.

I will start making the grading thread soon and update when a draft is made.

Is anyone willing to make the guide for packaging and the right and wrongs about it?