PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of becoming a collector!

Icibus
08-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

I love the idea of buying the collector's editions of the games i'm really interested in, I probably only buy around 6-10 games per year, as I don't have the time to play every game released and only buy those i'm particularly interested in. I'll be honest and say that i'm a bit mad when it comes to thing being perfect, when I buy something I find it really really annoying if it isn't in 100% perfect conditions.

I'm afraid that collecting is going to be more hassle then its worth (hopefully not), as royal mail apparently aren't that good at delivering anything fragile. I'm wondering if everyone gets their collectors editions via mail ordered from online or go pick them up?

If the collectors edition you've been sent is damaged, what is the likelyhood of getting another, as stores are sometimes completely sold out before the games release? I'm interested in the figures within these collectors editions, the first being from Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the second being The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I would probably only go for collector's editions with decent figures and leave those that don't have decent content, such as Warhammer 40k: Space Marine.

I currently only have one collector's edition game, Fable III. Bought it because I loved the previous Fable games, although the series appears to be going downhill. I want becoming a collector to be a enjoyable experience, I would hate to buy Deus Ex: Human Revolution, then have to return it because of a damaged figure and not be able to play the game!

Lots of questions I know, last one. Collector's edition games seem to be packed with more and more exclusive (or so it seems in some cases) DLC, my view on these are that the extra DLC doesn't justify the extra cost unless i'm getting something physical like a nice coin, figure, art book. Is it ever worth getting a collector's edition for this extra content or are they usually just a cash grab?

Thanks everyone, you've all got some crazy collections!

twistedsymphony
08-12-2011, 09:13 PM
I try to avoid mail ordering my CE releases... typically I only order them online if they're only available online (though it seems that those releases generally end up being more valuable).

-------------

Collecting is not a cheap hobby... especially if you're particular about the condition and perfection of the items in your collection.

The best piece of advice I can give is that you should setup "rules" for your collection and then only buy release that fit within those rules.

For instance I personally only collect US CE releases for the Xbox 360, and I only buy PS3 and Wii CE releases for exclusive titles.

Some people limit their collecting by Genre (ie: RPG only) or by platform (ie: Playstation only) or by region (ie Europe only) or by package type (ie: SteelBooks only)... or some combination of the group.

I still buy some titles outside of my "rules" if it's something that really interests me... I have a few European or Japanese releases for games I really love... but I try not to make a habit out of it as importing is extremely expensive.

vhal_x
08-12-2011, 09:23 PM
I find that collecting is the most expensive habit I have. I literally cannot afford anything other than my preorders at the moment, and I must say, it is depressing me ever so slightly.

I have preordered pretty much every game that is due to come out in the upcoming months, as I am looking forward to most of those releases, as is my boyfriend, so we have both preordered between us.

Having an addiction to CE's is hard, especially with so many good games coming soon, I've had to cancel some preorders in favour of others, and cancel some because I simply cannot afford it.

It's a great addiction, and extrememly fun, but it's up to you to decide if you want to do it or not :)

And I agree completely with Twisted about having rules, I only buy for Xbox360, unless it's a PS3 exclusive/variant.

But then again, I also collect movie CE's, so it certainly is an expensive habit xx

mosavon
08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Icibus you sound like me so much, except i buy alot more than 6 games per year hehe. The condition aspect of collecting is indeed quite stressful, in my case EXTREMELY!!!. I have actually got to a point where on the odd occassion ive been known to open a package look at the state of the item and bounce it off a few walls in disgust!!!, i have even put a few in the bin lol, maybe i have a problem??????

The Royal Mail gets blamed quite alot for items that arrive in un-satisfactory condition but when a retailer sends out a fragile CE literally just rolled in parcel paper (im looking at you graingergames:ninja:)you realise that alot of the time it is them who are to blame. Dont get me started with Ebay in my eyes its just not worth the bother.

On the upside, its a great buzz waiting for that "special" one to arrive...joining collectors forums and mingling with like minded people is great i think you'll enjoy it here :)

EDIT : I used to limited my region of choice etc...but then i realised i would miss so much cool stuff and for what? as i said im ultra fussy where condition is concerned i normally interrogate sellers about condition before buying i must drive people NUTS, sealed is important but i do sometimes get used if its cheap and looks Mint, joining this forum gets into your head abit like im here all the time ive learnt about so many things its fantastic

tallkid123
08-13-2011, 01:40 AM
These are my collecting limits;

- PAL games (No NTSC/JAP games)

- Console (Xbox 360/PS3/PS2/Wii) + PSP games

- Only 1 CE variant of a particular game (ie. I own the Auditore edition of AC:B over the Codex edition or any other regional variant)

- I only buy steelbooks when there is no PAL version superior to them (Fist of the North Star Italian steelbook as there is no CE version. Or I dont own Duke Nukem steelbook as I own the King edition instead)

- Decent condition (I'm not a 'sealed/100% perfect condition' person so I can live if my outer boxes are slightly worn/damaged/steelbook rusted etc - If I find it annoys me long enough though, then I'll just replace/upgrade when I get the chance)

- MUST BE COMPLETE (I'm really OCD about this. Even if included DLC has been used, I still need the slips to be there. Simply put, everything must be there)

- Smaller the better (I live in an apartment so I have a natural aversion to oversized CEs - I will go after smaller variants if the higher versions are too big)

We all have our own limits but those are mine and I'm happy with what I own.

The only time I've broken my rules are when I bought a Grandmaster edition of Shogun 2: Total War(PC game) and the Australian 3DS Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Ocarina Edition