PDA

View Full Version : What Games did you break your "RULES" for?

twistedsymphony
08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Every collector has "rules" that the use to define the bounds of their collecting habbits.

For me I collect only NTSC Xbox 360 CEs, and PS3 exclusive US CE releases.

But we all also have a few titles that fall out side the bounds of our "rules".

-------------
For me these are my rule breakers:

Dead Rising (SteelBook Edition) (Xbox 360) [PAL] - I'm a fan of the series, and a sucker for SteelBooks. I kind of always wanted this release since the US never got a CE for the first Dead Rising... when I saw a member had one up for sale at a reasonable price so I couldn't help myself!

Bayonetta Climax Edition (Xbox 360) [PAL] (Aus) - I really liked the Scarborough Fair replica that came with Australian Pre-Orders for the Climax edition so I went out of my way to buy one... After the fact it seemed silly that I didn't have the Climax Edition to go with it so I decided to pick up a matching Australian variation of the Climax Edition too.
Fun fact: I've never played Bayonetta :lol:

Metal Gear Solid Ultimate HD Collection (Zavvi World Exclusive) - Despite my not collecting European releases I couldn't help myself with this one... the Allure of a SteelBook and a numbered release to boot, of such a wildly popular franchise, I'd be a fool not to pick one up!
Fun fact: I HATE the Metal Gear Series :lol: (it mostly has to do with the fact that I find the camera controls infuriating)

So what releases did you buy that broke your rules, and why?...

Gemini-Phoenix
08-16-2011, 03:02 AM
I broke my rules for the recently released Sniper: Ghost Warrior and Call Of Juarez: The Cartel CE's which were exclusive to Austrian retailer Game4game.at - Usually I don't touch Euro imports, but these were so stupidly rare I simply had to have them, even though the game cases are entirely in German. I may obtain the UK variations at a later date once they have gone down in price

I have also broken my rules twice recently in regards to the Vanquish, Star Wars: Force Unleashed II, and Yakuza 4 SteelBooks, which did not come sealed in the usual manner. Usually I only accept games which come fully sealed with cellophane or shrinkwrap, but I did make an exception for these few as the manufacturer apparenty didn't bother to seal them.

Likewise, I made the same exception for the last Harry Potter film which was released as a Blu-Ray SteelBook, which also did not come sealed. To date, this is the first SteelBook I have come across which has not come sealed upon release, and all retailers confirmed this was the case. I was not very happy about it, but what're ya gonna do? I'm not going to forfeit a complete set just because of one minor manufacturing issue

bbki
08-16-2011, 03:43 AM
My one and only rule is simple - "Don't buy what I cannot read"

Biohazard 5 E-capcom limited edition - Just want an art book and that antivirus usb look so awesome...somehow left pretty underwhelming feeling after I got it.

DJ Max limited / Collector / Etc. whatever edition - this series always have awesome packaging design, can't understand a word they sing but those korean song is so damn catchy.

twistedsymphony
08-16-2011, 03:37 PM
...can't understand a word they sing but those korean song is so damn catchy.

it's funny, I'm really not into pop music at all (mostly a techno/industrial guy personally) but one day I saw some K-pop in the most viewed list on youtube... I spent the next hour watching korean pop videos... that stuff is damn catchy :lol:

Matrix6
08-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Not sure about "rules", but there was a technical "law" broken when I got my Killzone 2 Press Kit prior to the game's official release!

Coincidentally, I paid for it! :D :S

Ryaku
08-17-2011, 07:07 AM
I've any rules (maybe my wallet size ^^ ), i collect all plateform, all regions , press kit, normal games, collectors games, oldies, artbook etc.. (not blu-ray and not steelbook)

the most important for me is : Great game, great collector

just one game can break my rules is shenmue 3 i will collect all steelbook if has it. (Mouah ah ah ah !!)

:)

bbki
08-17-2011, 07:54 AM
I've any rules (maybe my wallet size ^^ ), i collect all plateform, all regions , press kit, normal games, collectors games, oldies, artbook etc.. (not blu-ray and not steelbook)

the most important for me is : Great game, great collector

just one game can break my rules is shenmue 3 i will collect all steelbook if has it. (Mouah ah ah ah !!)

:)

Hmm...Press kit, always my top priority.
what kind of press kit you got?
France is the best place for press kit
Too bad I can only understand a bit.

Mike1888
08-17-2011, 08:41 AM
This may seem like a really dumb question but I'm wondering why press kits always come from weird countries? Like I never see them being sold from the U.S., but Spain and France all the time and even Bulgaria? Whats up with that.

bbki
08-17-2011, 09:30 AM
This may seem like a really dumb question but I'm wondering why press kits always come from weird countries? Like I never see them being sold from the U.S., but Spain and France all the time and even Bulgaria? Whats up with that.

Different country have different way to kissing ass :D

But really I think, in our region, there is only a few of media outlet so it pretty easy to get to.
Compare to european that have a lot of country and different language so they have a lot of media outlet to cover so they may try to make it look interesting enough for media to pick it up and save them time/money to go please them one at a time.

That's what I think I don't know if it is right or not.

Robert_84
08-17-2011, 01:50 PM
I dont collect games than I will never have will to play or I em not interested ..... so very simple rule....

500+ games in collection (300+ wanted list) but no Final Fantasy games.... and other games that I acuared during years but have no interest.....

very simple.......

sorry on bad english.....

Mike1888
08-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Usually I only accept games which come fully sealed with cellophane or shrinkwrap

Why this rule? Must miss out on a lot of awesome CEs just because there's no plastic around them. :S

I've recently readjusted my rules from PC and Playstation to just playstation and sold off everything else so I currently don't really own anything breaking my rules. I did however break my rules for the Splinter Cell Conviction CE so I could get the Sam Fisher figure. :)

mosavon
08-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Everythink i own is Playstation 3 baby, thats my rule....

Of course i do own a few PS2 regular games like most people do

My only exception has been the Call of Juarez Cartel Outlaw Edition The Polish 1000 pieces version (PC) which me and my buddy bbki are getting from mikel, technically i dont own it yet but its coming real soon and ill just swap out the PC version for a PS3 version assuming theres nothing marked PC other than the game :bananayes:

tallkid123
08-21-2011, 01:53 AM
I broke the no PC games rule and bought myself the Australia/Germany exclusive Shogun 2:Total War Grandmaster Edition.

It was only $100 at the time and I couldnt resist that beautiful chess set.

nipperkipper
08-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Im finding my list of rules is fast becoming obsolete

I started off with sealed games only but found certain editions too hard to find sealed. I also started off with 360 games only but then the likes of infamous 2, uncharted and resistance persuaded me to break those.

So i have basically broken every rule in my book - my only rule now is if i like it i collect it

foreverflash
08-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Im finding my list of rules is fast becoming obsolete

I started off with sealed games only but found certain editions too hard to find sealed. I also started off with 360 games only but then the likes of infamous 2, uncharted and resistance persuaded me to break those.

So i have basically broken every rule in my book - my only rule now is if i like it i collect itlmao This is how it has been for me. Started off collecting just to have a "complete" series' for a game, then eBay and amazon stole my life! I descended into a dark dungeon of collectible madness! lol I am now the proud owner of hundreds of complete series' and rare games/collectibles, not the least of which is my "Dead Space" collection which I'm quite proud of.

My rules I try to keep firm. I have a lot of them, but I'll list the primary. They help me remain sane and allow me to nurture my addiction carefully; unfortunately I have broken my rules quite a few times. Rules are:

1) I will not collect any portable games. Portable gaming is far too rich content and quantity for me to be involved in. Sorry Gameboy.

2) I will not collect Nintendo. I know, I know, Nintendo fans go ahead and chastise me! Nintendo I am very fond of, but they, like portable gaming have a library and history far too extensive for my taste!

3) Always Sealed/brand new first. Second is Like New. Never do I collect "very good" condition or less if possible.

4) Never buy more than 1 copy of the same game. This rule is the one that I've broken a lot lately (and not by choice). If there is an exclusive collector's edition in the UK I have to get that and the US version (if it's 360) or if PS3 I still may get US version for DLC (since UK codes won't work in US).

Ha. I like to think I'm in control of my collecting "hobby" but the truth is I can't help myself a lot of the time. :haha:

mosavon
08-22-2011, 11:36 PM
i like what you have wrote there foreverflash, makes alot of sense to me...i dont think your as out of control as some people, some take this hobby abit too seriously unfortunutely :taunt:

foreverflash
08-23-2011, 01:39 AM
i like what you have wrote there foreverflash, makes alot of sense to me...i dont think your as out of control as some people, some take this hobby abit too seriously unfortunutely :taunt:lol Well I as I said I like to "think" I'm in control but when that special offer, listing or game comes along, sometimes I break ALL the rules. :B I forgot to mention, even though I don't collect "Nintendo" I own a like new gamecube w/ a wireless controller and a complete series of "Resident Evil". I know, strange...but that's the platform I found it easiest to collect RE for. I'm proud of that. My RE 1 game (black label) is sealed perfect. Worth a pretty penny...

Gwal
10-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Didn't think of any rules when i strated collecting.

I'm a PC gamer so i assumed i would collect only PC games, but then that Gears of War III Epic Edition popped up... bought it.

Dark Souls LE? Bought it. Uncharted? Preordered. Sonic is tempting me, as much as DBZ even though i never played any of those licenses ever, except for Gears I on PC.

I try to broaden my horizons. But in the end i am selling my Gears 3 Epic Edition 'cause i burnt too much money. Maybe the other non PC CE will follow, who knows.

So basically now i'm "learning" about the world of collectors and how i react to it, then i'll set up some rules.

Then i'll break them, as most of us do :D

gurpswoo1
10-11-2011, 01:04 AM
Paying anything more than twice the price of the original retail price for a collector's Edition.

For me that was Dead Space ultra. Never did it again though.

Dreamcazman
10-11-2011, 02:27 AM
These are the 'rules' that I generally follow:

- Majority of games are for 360 except for the PS3 exclusives
- All games have to be sealed even if it means paying more (within reason and depends on game) and as pristine as possible
- If a game is a sequel, it has to match the previous games regions (ie. all Aus PAL or all US NTSC) I don't like having a series from different regions
- All games have to be in english
- Never buy asian/chinese versions of games

There are contradictions and other exceptions:

- Bought Dark Souls US on PS3 as I already have Demon's Souls US on PS3 (did not get it on 360)
- Have Batman Arkham Asylum on PS3 as it came with the system when I bought it. Would've preferred the 360 version.
- Bought the Treasure Edition of Dead Island. Contents (game case/book) are in german, but game is in english.

The only really expensive games I've bought are Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition (sealed) for $200 and Mark of the Wolves on Neogeo AES Jap cart (mint) for over $600 (at the time the Aus dollar was poor)