PDA

View Full Version : What's to come of collecting?

Futbol 04
08-17-2011, 12:20 AM
It's astounding how much video games have evolved in the past 60 years. From Tic-Tac-Toe developed in 1952 to the extraordinary games we have today such as Halo, Call of Duty, God of War, etc. With video game technology expanding and becoming more and more virtual, allowing us to be in the game itself, what's to come of the video game industry? What's to come of the collector's edition in the future? Sony leaked a "PS4" trailer showing the virtual gaming, the Wii allowed motion sense technology, and last but certainly not least, Microsoft introduced us to the revolutionizing Kinect. I can't even imagine what's to come for us collectors, we just have to wait and see. What do yall think of the future of game collecting?

The Russian Bear
08-17-2011, 01:09 AM
More expensive CEs with less content..... sorry, i'm still sore about skyrim .ill edit when i'm in a better mood.

Futbol 04
08-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Maybe a digital hologram :O HAHA

I'm not getting Skyrim collector's edition due to a PVC statue. PVC is one of the cheapest material you can make something out of. It is simply a waste of money in my opinion. I just like the steelbook, map, and the art book.

evilvort3x
08-17-2011, 01:39 AM
futbol pm mate

scourdx
08-17-2011, 04:39 PM
I can see Digital content taking over. More and more developers are pushing for preorder DLC.

twistedsymphony
08-17-2011, 08:13 PM
yeah, I see game collecting as being on it's death bead within the next 10-20 years... The industry will most likely move to a download-only market leaving us with nothing to physically collect.

If you look at the PC market it's pretty much already there, and developers of console games are pushing the market in that direction already with the heavy reliance on "online pass" codes that lock out a bunch of features unless you bought the game new.

Really I see the CE game boom over the last couple of years as an attempt by the developers to generate extra revenue and encourage people to buy new.

-----------

If I had to guess, I would suspect that Next generation or the generation after, we'll see something like if you want the game on "release day" you have to download it and then the physical release would come weeks or months after... The generation after that will likely be 100% download only.

While movies, music and PC games are much further along in this shift, I think consoles will have a much much SHORTER transition period, since they're essentially closed platforms. All it will take is one of the major consoles (Xbox 4/PS5) to go download only, and the others will follow within a generation.

evilvort3x
08-17-2011, 08:21 PM
i dont think so as such. Look at recent ce's people collect and willpay alot for them... i just for some reason cannot see them ending :)

Futbol 04
08-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Ya I'm a big controller player. As cool as the Kinect, Wii, and Playstation Eye are, I prefer the classic controller any day. Just gives it that "game" feeling. Unfortunately I feel controllers are going to be an ancient accessory of the past the second the next generation of games come out, leaving me to play my classic game consoles and admire the good old days. What truly scares me of gaming and collecting is this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyFmxNLH0YA

For now I'll work on find my mint sega dreamcast and the rare limited editions aswell as sealed games:)