PDA

View Full Version : Collector's Edition Guides and Artbooks

foreverflash
08-23-2011, 03:16 AM
I'm very surprised no one has created a thread about guides and artbooks yet. For me as a video game collector, guides (or artbooks) are just as important to me as the games. I obtain a collectible, limited or unique guide/artbook for ALL collectible games I buy (if they exist).

I would like to see a seperate database created at some point for CE.o that tracks announcement of collectible guides and artbooks releasing alongside their game counterpart.

Can any Australian or European member please tell me which retailers (online or in store) in your respective countries/regions sell and allow preorder of collectible guides and artbooks? I tried 5 major retailers (GAME, Zavvi, EBGames.au, Gamestation and Shopto.net) none of which had "guides" that I could find for upcoming games. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

Mike1888
08-23-2011, 03:33 AM
I usually go with Amazon (.de and .uk) and Zavvi (Always ridiculously good prices) for european guides. Often guides don't show up for pre-order too early so that may be why.

mosavon
08-23-2011, 03:34 AM
They do exist, maybe just not as extensive or easy to find as you would like, but i know Game, Zavvi, amazon etc... Do stock guides....Old, New and Future

Game.co.uk
http://www.game.co.uk/Accessories/PlayStation-3-Xbox-360/Strategy-Guides-and-Books/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Collectors-Strategy-Guide/~r355448/?s=collectors

Zavvi.co.uk
http://www.zavvi.com/books/gears-of-war-3-collectors-guide-hardback/10532240.html

Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlefield-3-Collectors-Game-Guide/dp/0307891518/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314066825&sr=8-1

foreverflash
08-23-2011, 04:09 AM
I'm looking for Australian retailers (or any retailer that ships international - I forget which ones guys I'm sorry...) specifically for an AU member asking for someone from US to preorder a collector's guide.

Mike1888
08-23-2011, 04:13 AM
I'm looking for Australian retailers (or any retailer that ships international - I forget which ones guys I'm sorry...) specifically for an AU member asking for someone from US to preorder a collector's guide.

:scratch:Confused. You want to know which australian retailers ship internationally, because an australian member is looking for U.S. help to pre-order a guide?

RyT
08-23-2011, 04:33 AM
Bookdepository.com I think ships internationally and they usually have CE/ LE guides.. shipping to Australia is free btw (though can't find the Batman AC limited edition Gamestop)

tallkid123
08-23-2011, 04:36 AM
Amazon and bookdepository are the places to buy your guides from. As a matter of fact, I ordered the Deus Ex: HR and Uncharted 3 guides from them today.

For rare, out of print guides though, eBay is as always your best bet.

foreverflash
08-23-2011, 05:08 AM
:scratch:Confused. You want to know which australian retailers ship internationally, because an australian member is looking for U.S. help to pre-order a guide?No silly! You got it twisted. I wanted to know of any "australian" retailers (be it online or in store) that stocked Limited Edition game guides, so I could refer them to the member in question who lives in Australia. I was also asking about European retailers at the same time just to keep my ideas all in one place. Basically I was interested in creating this thread for a while, so we had one related to guides. The member was asking in this thread: Quick Help from U.S. (http://collectorsedition.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5331) if a US member could preorder a guide for him. So I figured I'd check to see if that guide is available in his country first.

tallkid123
08-23-2011, 07:33 AM
EBGames, GAME and JB Hifi all stock LE game guides but for the most part, you can only really buy them instore.

Locally, the selection of game guides you'd find here is mediocre as only the most popular games get their respective guides stocked here and its usually the normal versions over any collector editions.

They're a pretty niche item to be honest although I have found good price guides here and there when I get lucky. For the most part though (And for the more obscure games I play), online is my only bet.

foreverflash
08-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Can anyone please tell me if they have found any information about a Rage Collector's Edition GUIDE or ARTBOOK being released in EU, AU or another country OUTSIDE the US? I'm desperate to find this if it will exist...

Maybe can this thread be stickied? That way people can use it to post about guides and artbooks? I mean, not much demand it seems for guides/artbooks so 1 easy to find thread might be good.

twistedsymphony
08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Can anyone please tell me if they have found any information about a Rage Collector's Edition GUIDE or ARTBOOK being released in EU, AU or another country OUTSIDE the US? I'm desperate to find this if it will exist...

Maybe can this thread be stickied? That way people can use it to post about guides and artbooks? I mean, not much demand it seems for guides/artbooks so 1 easy to find thread might be good.

I think this thread is already about where to buy guides and doesn't seem to have any actual information about the guides themselves.

If you want to create a new topic about guides and start it off by posting up information and pictures that you have, so that the thread is useful to other members THEN I'll consider sticking it...

content comes first, sticky comes later. ;)

foreverflash
08-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I think this thread is already about where to buy guides and doesn't seem to have any actual information about the guides themselves.

If you want to create a new topic about guides and start it off by posting up information and pictures that you have, so that the thread is useful to other members THEN I'll consider sticking it...

content comes first, sticky comes later. ;)Your right. I was jumpin' the gun. It will take a good bit of effort snappin' pics of all my guides, as I have a lot. So I should create a mini database for guides (in this thread) so people searching for a particular guide can use? I can do that. It will take time though. Thanks!

tossin
08-23-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm also a big fan of collector's edition guides and artbooks. But way too many come out these days and are of variable quality, so it's best to focus on the best, which are produced by Future Press and Piggyback:

http://www.future-press.com/
http://www.piggyback.com/en/

Future Press Collector's Edition Guides
Bayonetta (Europe only)
Dark Souls
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Madworld (not a Collector's Edition, but it's in Hardcover; Europe only)
Killzone 2 (Europe only)
Killzone 3 (CE is Europe only)
Portal 2 (CE is Europe only)
Resident Evil Archives (Europe only)
Tekken 5 (Europe only)

Piggyback Collector's Edition Guides
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Final Fantasy XII (UK)
Final Fantasy XIII
Metal Gear Solid 4
Resident Evil 5
Uncharted 3

tossin
08-23-2011, 06:46 PM
For artbooks, the most professional (and therefore most expensive) are made by Ballistic Publishing, who specialize in high-end compilations of digital paintings and tutorials. All of their books are probably worth obtaining, but they are based in Australia, which makes it extremely expensive to get their more limited edition books (paperbacks are available at Amazon for more reasonable prices):

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/

Game-related Ballistic Artbooks (Art of the Game Series)
The Art of God of War 3 (Softcover, Hardcover, Special Edition Leatherbound, and Folio Edition*)
The Art of Gran Turismo 5 (Softcover available for preorder on Amazon, other editions unknown)
The Art of Oddworld Inhabitants (Softcover, Hardcover, Limited Edition Leatherbound, Folio Edition)
The Art of Twisted Metal (Softcover available for preorder on Amazon, other editions unknown)
The Art of Uncharted 2 (Softcover, Limited Edition Leatherbound, and Folio Edition)

*Note: Folio Editions are their most exclusive and collectible versions, limited to ~100-300 copies and priced at about $200-400.

AJLareneg
08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Does anyone here know for sure if the inFamous 2 art book by ballistic was canceled? I've been hearing mixed reports and I don't know what to think anymore. -_-

Ayiu
08-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Does anyone here know for sure if the inFamous 2 art book by ballistic was canceled? I've been hearing mixed reports and I don't know what to think anymore. -_-

It's still listed on a German guide site, release is set to December, 6th. But see yourself ;)

http://www.gamesandguides.de/artbooks/the-art-of-infamous-2-artbook/a-2967/

with steep 44 euros price tag.

They are also listing the Resident Evil Archives Volume 2.

AJLareneg
08-23-2011, 10:28 PM
It's still listed on a German guide site, release is set to December, 12th. But see yourself ;)

http://www.gamesandguides.de/artbooks/the-art-of-infamous-2-artbook/a-2967/

with steep 44 euros price tag.

They are also listing the Resident Evil Archives Volume 2.

Yea I've had a copy on preorder from Amazon for a few months now, but they recently pulled down the listing...but they haven't cancelled my order. Now this plus hearing reports that the book was canned....but then not canned...... I'm just confused.

Amazon also had moved the release date to "Dec 6th" before pulling the listing altogether.

also I'd be pretty upset if they seriously cancel the inFamous 2 book but release Twisted Metal.....seriously!? :pooryou:

tossin
08-24-2011, 07:06 PM
It's unfortunate that Ballistic's Art of the Game series seems to focus mainly on popular Western games. It would be AMAZING to see an Art of the Game equivalent to FFXIII (or any Final Fantasy). Divisive as it was, there is no debate that it's one of the most beautiful games ever made. On the western side, I'd like to see one for Enslaved. As far as I know (haven't delved too deeply on the Japanese side), the next best thing are flimsy artbooks in the rather minimalistic FFXIII and Enslaved CEs.

Matrix6
08-24-2011, 07:25 PM
I'd agree with FFXIII being a beautiful looking game, but perhaps they might've made some sort of Japanese high quality art book to which we may not really have noticed or known about?? It's hard to see what all those books they're released are about as they don't show many pics or it's a mix of art and interviews....that's basically what we get for "our" art books.

At least we did get a CE guide for FFXIII which was done very well imo. I had three of those, but I gave one away to a friend.

Although I haven't played Deus Ex yet, judging from the HD trailers, I'd be happy to get a full sized Art book on that.

I believe they're releasing a massive 700+ pages art book for the FF series, not sure if XIII is included though, but I'm definitely getting it.

jugolicious
08-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Ballistic is releasing a 700+ page art book on the FF serise? :o

Matrix6
08-24-2011, 07:39 PM
No, no, sorry.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Art-Final-Fantasy/dp/159307817X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314210352&sr=1-2
Product Description -UK Amazon
http://www.amazon.ca/Sky-Art-Final-Fantasy/dp/159307817X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314211436&sr=1-1 -Canada Amazon
Yoshitaka Amano is one of the world's foremost fantasy artists, and this tremendous boxed set of five books gathers his ethereal illustrations for Final Fantasy games I-X. The Sky is divided into three softcover volumes, each printed on high-quality stock. Volume 1 (144-pages) contains Amano's work for Final Fantasy I-III, Volume 2 (276-pages) contains his contributions for Final Fantasy IV-VI, and Volume 3 (156-pages) features art for Final Fantasy VII-X. The fourth book in the boxed set, All About Yoshitaka Amano, is a smaller softcover. Its 128 pages include an interview with Amano, information about his work, a bibliography, and a visual index of each illustration that appears in the three Sky art books. Completing the set are an acetate print, two postcards, and a 96-page The Sky Premium Flipbook that lets you see two examples of Amano's art in motion, all fit snugly inside a hinged, decorated box.

Pretty expensive art book, but probably well worth it....I hope ;)
Yoshitaka Amano is....I'm not familiar with that author.
EDIT: That last sentence just made it soooo epic! <3

tossin
08-24-2011, 08:05 PM
No, no, sorry.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Art-Final-Fantasy/dp/159307817X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314210352&sr=1-2

Pretty expensive art book, but probably well worth it....I hope ;)
Yoshitaka Amano is....I'm not familiar with that author.
EDIT: That last sentence just made it soooo epic! <3

That does sound pretty awesome, though I'd still like one that focuses on digital paintings of the more recent FF entries.

By the way, Amano is the guy who did most of the concept artwork for the FF series (as I suppose can be inferred from the description). It usually goes through quite a transformation when translated to the game itself, but some of it still makes it in the form of character profiles (FFIV-VI) and the logos for each Final Fantasy entry.

Matrix6
08-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Would be great to see a massive art book beginning from XI to XIV. I guess there's still time as FFXIII-2 approaches and an art book can once again be compiled...perhaps even wait for Type-0 and Versus?? Doesn't that just make you squeeze juice? :beach:

I guess if The Sky art book includes the 'artist' involved with the game, it just makes it even more valuable as an artbook and a collector's possession. I'm sure once these get low in quantity, you'd be paying up to the sky for a brand new copy ;)
[I'm waiting on the US amazon to open up their pre-order as they'll probably cheaper than UK or Canada]

foreverflash
08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Does anyone here know for sure if the inFamous 2 art book by ballistic was canceled? I've been hearing mixed reports and I don't know what to think anymore. -_-I have that infamous 2 artbook in preorder from amazon.com (US) too and I didn't know it was canceled (or possibly canceled). Can you confirm this yet AJ?

Also, quick question: Seems that a bunch of you know more about these European Guides and releases than I do...I just preordered Deus Ex: HRCE guide (futurepress) from Zavvi because the listing that showed up on amazon.com (US) now says "OOP" and people are saying it won't be stocked here in US, so I want to know if you guys think I will definitely get one from Zavvi (considering I preordered it 2 days before release)?

AJLareneg
08-24-2011, 10:01 PM
I have that infamous 2 artbook in preorder from amazon.com (US) too and I didn't know it was canceled (or possibly canceled). Can you confirm this yet AJ?

Also, quick question: Seems that a bunch of you know more about these European Guides and releases than I do...I just preordered Deus Ex: HRCE guide (futurepress) from Zavvi because the listing that showed up on amazon.com (US) now says "OOP" and people are saying it won't be stocked here in US, so I want to know if you guys think I will definitely get one from Zavvi (considering I preordered it 2 days before release)?
No ideas still. I am just going to wait it out at this point. Though I might try contacting Ballistic again. I am not sure if they can discuss projects that aren't announced yet, but surely they can confirm if something has been dropped from their roster? I saw a statement from someone that worked at Ballistic saying it was canceled, but then someone else (who is also a valid source) said it wasn't...and they both said this around the same period of time (early August).

So I'm still just as lost on the existence of this book as well. :| I think with the amazon listing all but coming down is more proof leaning towards it not coming out... but I am hopeful so we will see.

You think a game like inFAMOUS would be a sure go for something like an art book. who knows. maybe i am just bias.

tossin
08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
No ideas still. I am just going to wait it out at this point. Though I might try contacting Ballistic again. I am not sure if they can discuss projects that aren't announced yet, but surely they can confirm if something has been dropped from their roster? I saw a statement from someone that worked at Ballistic saying it was canceled, but then someone else (who is also a valid source) said it wasn't...and they both said this around the same period of time (early August).

So I'm still just as lost on the existence of this book as well. :| I think with the amazon listing all but coming down is more proof leaning towards it not coming out... but I am hopeful so we will see.

You think a game like inFAMOUS would be a sure go for something like an art book. who knows. maybe i am just bias.

Actually, looking at the listing for Infamous 2, it's possible that instead of being canceled, it's simply sold out (for now).

tossin
08-25-2011, 12:18 AM
I have that infamous 2 artbook in preorder from amazon.com (US) too and I didn't know it was canceled (or possibly canceled). Can you confirm this yet AJ?

I don't know, but I also ordered one from Zavvi recently, so I would hope so. However, the ONLY guide that is hard to find right now is Bayonetta, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think you can also buy some from Book Depository.

AJLareneg
08-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Actually, looking at the listing for Infamous 2, it's possible that instead of being canceled, it's simply sold out (for now).
You think so? I find it odd that amazon pulled the release date on the listing too. I still have some hope that this is coming out (as I really want it) though, so I guess I'll wait and see. I guess I'll really worry if amazon cancels my order.

AJLareneg
08-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Alright, I just got a reply from ballistic press. The inFamous 2 art book is indeed, canceled.

That really really sucks. I was looking forward to that more than I'd like to say.

foreverflash
08-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Alright, I just got a reply from ballistic press. The inFamous 2 art book is indeed, canceled.

That really really sucks. I was looking forward to that more than I'd like to say.How did you contact them? facebook? twitter?

AJLareneg
08-25-2011, 02:04 AM
I sent them an email to the one posted on their website here: http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/about/#contact

Someone got back to me rather quickly just telling me it was canceled. I've tried asking them why but they may not be able to give that information to the public. I hope it's not to do with the performance of inFamous 2, because that might say something about the series itself. :( I thought it did quite well though.

Queeny
07-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Does anyone know where to buy resident evil archives Vol 1 ?
i did found some on ebay but i'm looking for another place .

thanks

asiak75
07-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Guy's,

Does anyone has pre-ordered Gears of War 3 Art book by ballistic?

Aya-Kun
07-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Guy's,

Does anyone has pre-ordered Gears of War 3 Art book by ballistic?

The bookdepository has it for pre-order £48.64 (Free delivery worldwide) http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Art-Gears-War-3-Ballistic/9781921828157

or depending on which version you want the ballistic website has all 3 though I don't know where they ship or for how much http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/theartofthegame/gearsofwar3/

asiak75
07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Cheers Aya,

Signed up for the folio edition release.

Everyone, I am looking for the below Art books:

Art of Final Fantasy 6 and 9
Art of Metal Gear Solid 2
Resident Evil Archive Vol 1

If anyone has any of those please PM me and submit your price.

Thanks,

Asiak75

Aya-Kun
07-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know where to buy resident evil archives Vol 1 ?
i did found some on ebay but i'm looking for another place .

thanks

Resident Evil Archive Vol 1 is pretty hard to find outside ebay, amazon have a few used ones that people are selling but even they start at $75

There is one on ebay at the moment as an auction with 4 days left to go, has a reserve though http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-RESIDENT-EVIL-ARCHIVES-UMBRELLAS-VIRUS-UNCOVERED-BOOK-OUT-OF-PRINT-/130726452353?pt=Fiction&hash=item1e6fe75c81#ht_500wt_1202

here is another one to but this one doesn't have a reserve http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Resident-Evil-Archives-Umbrellas-Virus-Uncover-Rare-Collectors-Book-OUT-OF-PRINT-/271013718108?pt=Fiction&hash=item3f19ad285c#ht_500wt_1202

Queeny
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Resident Evil Archive Vol 1 is pretty hard to find outside ebay, amazon have a few used ones that people are selling but even they start at $75

There is one on ebay at the moment as an auction with 4 days left to go, has a reserve though http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-RESIDENT-EVIL-ARCHIVES-UMBRELLAS-VIRUS-UNCOVERED-BOOK-OUT-OF-PRINT-/130726452353?pt=Fiction&hash=item1e6fe75c81#ht_500wt_1202

here is another one to but this one doesn't have a reserve http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Resident-Evil-Archives-Umbrellas-Virus-Uncover-Rare-Collectors-Book-OUT-OF-PRINT-/271013718108?pt=Fiction&hash=item3f19ad285c#ht_500wt_1202
yea i know ..

i do search everyday for it but ...i always find it in a high price .
thank you so much for the 2 links .. i hope i can get one of them ..

btw , if anyone willing to sell the book please pm .

Cheers Aya,

Signed up for the folio edition release.

Everyone, I am looking for the below Art books:

Art of Final Fantasy 6 and 9
Art of Metal Gear Solid 2
Resident Evil Archive Vol 1

If anyone has any of those please PM me and submit your price.

Thanks,

Asiak75

i'm also looking for them .. please if anyone have them pm me.
thank you very much .

Madigan
07-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Are you looking for the english or japanese version? (Res Archives)

asiak75
07-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I need the English version since I have the Japanese already.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Queeny
07-12-2012, 01:41 AM
Are you looking for the english or japanese version? (Res Archives)

i'm also looking for the Eng ver .
thanks