PDA

View Full Version : How particular (anal) are you about your games?

Dreamcazman
09-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Just curious to know how much of a perfectionist everyone is about their games? Most things in life I'm not too concerned about but when it comes to my games, for some reason everything has to be perfect.

I will rarely (ie practically never) buy a game that isn't sealed and I do try to keep everything in as mint condition as possible after that. I sometimes get a little annoyed if I do notice any slight marks or creases on the outer case.

If the game came with a steelbook, I'll keep the case safe and use an old game case temporarily while I'm playing the game so as not to scratch the steelbook.

I don't know why I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to games, maybe because it is one of my passions in life, I dunno. I know nothing in life can be 'perfect' but I will do whatever I can to look after my stuff.

Opinions?

themidlandmaster
09-05-2011, 02:00 PM
I always open em to see the cool stuff inside - thats what I'm paying for!

Ryaku
09-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I hope you don't do the same with your girlfriend :D

i think , i have any interrested to keep game sealed because it's as a car, no interest to have it if you don't drive

AJLareneg
09-06-2011, 02:51 AM
I like my stuff to be in good condition but I have no problems opening some things. There is one game I've been curious about its contents but I've had it sealed so long it seems sad to open it now...

I just want to say, when I picked up my R2 CE years ago the box was kind of bent and it /always/ bugged me...but i felt like it was too "weird" to complain about the box being bent.... though earlier this year i managed to get my hands on another copy for super cheap that wasn't bent. yay!

...i also get super super worried about lending my games to friends because i always think they wont take as good of care of it as i do. D:

Ryu Kazama
09-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Kind of like you, OP. I'm a lot more relaxed these days but generally I won't buy unsealed, obviously unless it's used or I've delayed something too long that the rare sealed copies are gone (e.g. some of Konami's games).

Dings on steelbooks and cardboard packaging annoy me a lot though. It should become standard for places like Zavvi, GAME and shopto to send something that has cardboard packaging (Demon's Souls Phantom Edition, GT5) in a padded/foamed cardboard box. Hell, I'd pay £2 extra just for that peace of mind. Of course, dents still do occur with this but the chances are reduced so much further. Of course, if the item is coming from across the globe e.g. Japan, then I can be a little more forgiving simply because of the lengthy transit period. But from North of England to London? Get out...

In rare cases I'll double/triple binge. Very rare though.

Gemini-Phoenix
09-06-2011, 03:44 PM
MY standards for game collecting seem to get stricter and stricter as time goes on. I have always bought sealed copies of games ever since I started playing video games, but ever since I started collecting professionally I have upped my standards.

I now only collect sealed games, and only the mintest of sealed games. If I want to play something, I buy a second sealed copy to open, where I am perhaps a little more lenient to condition, but I always only buy black label first releases and never Platinum / Classics / Player's Choice etc. The only reasn I would ever buy these is for completionist sake for some of my sub-collections, but usually only if I already have the original release

I have also found that I am double-dipping / triple-dipping, and even quadruple-dipping on some titles. Fallout 3 and Bioshock 2 are two examples where I have bought every edition available, and Batman: Arkham City will probably be the next with four different copies ordered already!

Any slight damage is not acceptable to me. At least, not now. I have a few sealed NTSC U PS1 games from my early collecting career which have cracked cases, but these are the exception to the rule. Now my standards are much higher, and I return anything which isn't to my satisfaction, espeially if the seller has mis-described an item!

Where cardboard packaging is concerned, I won't accept any CE if it has dented corners or a squashed cardboard case. I have had to return so many PSP CE's this year due to this, but have always received replacements in good condition. I definitel agree that retailers should use a little more common sense and ship these items in boxes rather than Jiffy bags or double-sided bubblewrap

Dreamcazman
09-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Where cardboard packaging is concerned, I won't accept any CE if it has dented corners or a squashed cardboard case. I have had to return so many PSP CE's this year due to this, but have always received replacements in good condition. I definitel agree that retailers should use a little more common sense and ship these items in boxes rather than Jiffy bags or double-sided bubblewrap

That shits me no end as well. Thankfully most of the online stores here in Australia use boxes so everything arrives in pristine condition. A few times I have received games from some UK stores that have used shitty packaging and the disc has come loose and or centre spindle broke and the disc floating around inside!

I don't go as far as having to buy every edition of a particular game, I usually go for the best one only. I do have a good income but with two kids & a mortgage I'm blessed my wife even allows me to buy games at all, lol! :rotf: Plus space is always a concern.

Littlefeet1
09-07-2011, 03:12 AM
I started young. Sports cards/ comic books/ HotWheels toys cars for a brief time. Most prized sport card is the Roger Clemens rookie card but i burned the hell out of it later due to allegations against him. Most prized comic book is Swamp Thing issue #1 mint condition (the real deal).

so what? so, i tends to be anal what i bought and i don't have a problem destroying it by my hands either. Like all things in life, i like it when my games are new and well protected arriving from the factory or independent sellers that just me. I also don't have a problem taking it out either depending on the circumstances. I buy games to play games.

rarely i do buy double or triple of the same game. There's no point in it, just a waste of hard earned money. Instead merchandises or related items. I think you have to be very clear about why you buy the things you buy in the first place. I'd made mine a long time ago. To each it's own i guess.

I'm not sooo concern about the items arrives in my mailbox okay maybe a little bit. Why shouldn't i be, i'm the consumer, the fan, the gamer who likes to support wherever and whenever i can. If i can't than i can't at all.

Or, you will lose my business for good.
other than that, i'm doing my best.