PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep track of your CE's?

Anjelaoni
10-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm using a very simple chart in excel to keep track of my CE's and I'm not satisfied anymore with that solution. Do you use a special software application or how do you organize your collection? Can anyone share some experiences with software, for example this one: Collectorz (http://www.collectorz.com/game/)

Thanks for the replies, I'm really curious about. :)

twistedsymphony
10-03-2011, 07:55 PM
currently I put my games on a shelf... and that's how I keep track of them :lol:

hopefully soon you'll be able to use the site here to keep track. I was planning to have the "My Collection" feature live back in August but I didn't like the way it was turning out so I scrapped it and started over. I'm nearly done the re-write. I should be ready for testing in two or three weeks then open for everyone two or three weeks after that.

Anjelaoni
10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
currently I put my games on a shelf... and that's how I keep track of them :lol:

hopefully soon you'll be able to use the site here to keep track. I was planning to have the "My Collection" feature live back in August but I didn't like the way it was turning out so I scrapped it and started over. I'm nearly done the re-write. I should be ready for testing in two or three weeks then open for everyone two or three weeks after that.

Hehe, joker! ;) I can't keep track only by the way of looking at them, and I know you can't either! ;)

Sounds promising! Can we choose between the regions? Can we add some pictures? Is this tool connected to your database? Is there an option for some grapic evaluations (I love diagrams)? Do we have to pay for a membership (you should consider this point! :D )? Why does it take so long? ;)

gurpswoo1
10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Can't wait for the database trial, that will make a huge difference.

What I currently used to keep track of everything is a custom database system using access. Have a long way to go to get everything in it yet though.

It looks like this:

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1439/datbaseexample.jpg

evilvort3x
10-03-2011, 09:02 PM
very nice.... using collectorz .... only got a few games added in it as got it free ;)but yea what your doing looks similiar gurps anj if you need the prog i can sort it out need a msn address / email so can talk to you :)

gurpswoo1
10-03-2011, 09:14 PM
OMG I just looked up collectorz, I had no idea something like that existed.

I am going to download the trail and check it out. Thanks Evil

twistedsymphony
10-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Hehe, joker! ;) I can't keep track only by the way of looking at them, and I know you can't either! ;)

I seriously don't keep track of my collection electronically...

Since I buy 99% of all the NTSC releases I usually just browse through that region of the database here and it pretty much maps to what I have in my collection.

I sort of keep track of it on Xbox360Achievements.org, they have a VERY basic system; basically just a list of games and arcade releases and you can check "in my collection" or "on my wish list" it doesn't track regions or editions or variants of any kind... so it's mostly useless for tracking a collection.

Sounds promising! Can we choose between the regions? Can we add some pictures? Is this tool connected to your database? Is there an option for some grapic evaluations (I love diagrams)? Do we have to pay for a membership (you should consider this point! :D )? Why does it take so long? ;)

Basically the way it will work is you will visit the database page for the edition you want to add to your collection and there will be a link to add it along with your details.

I will open it to DB Proprietors for the testing period.

once it's "live" members that are site supporters will get the full version, while regular members will only get a basic version.

The basic version will let you maintain a "collection" list as well as a "wish" list
the full version will also add the following:
-Ability to Specify if a game on your wish list is for a sealed version or not
-Ability to write a note associated with each wish list entry
-Ability to record the buy date/price and store for each CE in your collection
-Ability to record if the CE in your collection is sealed/complete/incomplete
-Ability to record the condition of the CE in your collection
-Ability to specify if the CE in your collection is available for sale or trade
-Ability to write a note associated with each CE in your collection
-Ability to add a CE to your collection more than once (so if you have 2 copies you can add both of them with their own unique details.

I do plan on having lots of stats and every member will get a page specific to them that they will be able to link others to.

The stats/personal page is the part I still have to build, though typically that kind of thing isn't too difficult, the hard part is the user interface for adding/editing/deleting.

It takes a long time because I don't have much time to dedicate to building it, and it's important to me to release something that works great as opposed to just throwing something out there ;)

I'd be happy to hear your suggestions for stats or other features you'd like to see. if you have any please post them here: http://collectorsedition.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4637

once the my collection features is up I'm going to start working on a way people can add things to their collection that aren't in the database.

vhal_x
10-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Twisted, how do you become a site supporter? xx

twistedsymphony
10-03-2011, 09:40 PM
http://collectorsedition.org/forums/payments.php

vhal_x
10-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Great :) I'll become a supporter starting in December xx

Venner
10-03-2011, 09:47 PM
very nice.... using collectorz .... only got a few games added in it as got it free ;)but yea what your doing looks similiar gurps anj if you need the prog i can sort it out need a msn address / email so can talk to you :)

Where did yo get this for free :shrug:

lhurgoyf
10-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Used to use http://www.imediaman.com/ but as it only really works well with stuff on amazon that left a lot of stuff out.

Then wrote my own little script to throw things in a db and list them out.

More recently I've just been adding new stuff to a Google Doc with the price I paid :P

Anjelaoni
10-04-2011, 06:42 AM
http://collectorsedition.org/forums/payments.php

If I follow the link, the message is like this:

Collectors Edition Forums does not have any paid subscriptions available to which you can subscribe.

I didn't know there is a way to support the forum with donations! Otherwise I donated a long time ago. Again, where to pay? :)

Gemini-Phoenix
10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
"How do you keep track of your CE's"

I don't. That's half the trouble with these things! I know I should, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I used to keep track of them, but then things got out of control and I lost track of them!

Anjelaoni
10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
"How do you keep track of your CE's"

I don't. That's half the trouble with these things! I know I should, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I used to keep track of them, but then things got out of control and I lost track of them!

And now it's double the effort to be up to date again. :D

evilvort3x
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
one of you guys pm me your MSN address and i will sort out collectorz tommorow at some point for you..

Gemini-Phoenix
10-04-2011, 02:03 PM
I tried out Collectorz many years ago when it was still in its infancy. Not sure how much it's changed since then, but I didn't like the first version of it.

I used to use IGN Lists, but gave up using IGN as A) The list page took far too long to load up once you have over 1,000 items listed; and B) Because most of the games in their database are American releases, and trying to add PAL games was a nightmare! Half of the CE's weren't even recognised!

I tried keeping a personal Excel database, but that soon became unkept and obsolete.

twistedsymphony
10-04-2011, 02:53 PM
If I follow the link, the message is like this:

Collectors Edition Forums does not have any paid subscriptions available to which you can subscribe.

I didn't know there is a way to support the forum with donations! Otherwise I donated a long time ago. Again, where to pay? :)

I disabled it for DB Proprietors since it seems to be screwing up your permissions. You already get all of the extra features as a thanks for helping out :)

Anjelaoni
10-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I disabled it for DB Proprietors since it seems to be screwing up your permissions. You already get all of the extra features as a thanks for helping out :)

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2585/10406311.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/10406311.jpg/)

:wave: :D

vhal_x
10-04-2011, 03:43 PM
I wish I was a DB Propriator, purely because I want my name in purple :rotf: xx

vhal_x
10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't yet keep track of my editions, although I always attempt to, but I always do a bit then get distracted :rotf::haha:...

Think I may make a file soon xx

Solemn_In_Berlin
10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
As of now, I don't since I still don't need to.

thefunk007
10-04-2011, 05:59 PM
I should but I don't, it's something I should do, never thought about using Access but that could work nicely and allow me to upload data to the website easier.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.065541,27.991771

Gemini-Phoenix
10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
It would be nice if there were some kind of smartphone app similar to a barcode scanner, but where we can scan our game barcodes with our smartphones and it automatically gets added to an online database, or stored on your handset ready for uploading when you're ready (Ie, when you get home and connect to a PC or are in range of a WiFi network)

vhal_x
10-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Great idea GP! That would make things so much easier! xx

AJLareneg
10-04-2011, 11:20 PM
It would be nice if there were some kind of smartphone app similar to a barcode scanner, but where we can scan our game barcodes with our smartphones and it automatically gets added to an online database, or stored on your handset ready for uploading when you're ready (Ie, when you get home and connect to a PC or are in range of a WiFi network)

I actually love this idea. I would totally use an app like this to keep track of my games if it were available.

Otherwise I just keep all my games in my playfire account, it doesn't really keep game versions in there though, but I don't have that many CEs that I forget what I have when I see a game listed in there.

scourdx
10-05-2011, 06:14 AM
I use excel for the most part

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9958/listz.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/256/listz.png/)

For site listing, I use backloggery.com (http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=scourdx)

Lemur
10-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Wow what are all those pie charts for? :clap:

twistedsymphony
10-05-2011, 01:51 PM

I actually wrote an app that did EXACTLY that for my DVD collection:
http://web-nine.com/collections/dvds/

I could easily implement barcode scanning here on CE.o unfortunately for it to work it would require that I know the bar codes of every edition in the database.

I do have the bulk of the NTSC barcodes entered but no one ever gives me that info when reporting games from other regions :-/

thefunk007
10-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi Twisted, between us this could be achieved relatively easily I think, most of us have the data I'm sure :-P

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.064106,27.992263

scourdx
10-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Wow what are all those pie charts for? :clap:

To tell me which sort of games I have most. I have more RPG in my collection and less sports title. Also I get to know where I got most of my game from. :2cool:

Anjelaoni
10-11-2011, 02:39 PM
To tell me which sort of games I have most. I have more RPG in my collection and less sports title. Also I get to know where I got most of my game from. :2cool:

Hey scourdx, would it be possible to send me a plain chart of your excel list? I'd love to generate some chartpies, but I'm too lazy to build such a huge sheet like yours. :)

psiguy3
10-25-2011, 06:22 PM
How long does the collecterz trail last
would be good to have something like that instead of a list

greenmore
08-12-2013, 03:48 AM

it is now possible to have a barcode reading scanner c# (http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/csharp-imaging/read-barcode-csharp/) integrated into our smart phone.so we can scan barcodes whenever we can. and have the data store on line or on the phone's database.

sarahb
02-19-2014, 12:20 PM
I've been using Google Docs and Evernote to keep track of my CE's for a long time and I finally decided to give up using them because I wasn't satisfied with them. I've recently came across Unioncy (www.unioncy.com), which automatically creates a digital inventory of all my belongings from the information in the receipts in my email. So I don't have to worry anymore about it, as it's created instantly. It seems quite useful to me. Hope someone can share their experiences with it! :thumb:

KnightOfTruth
10-02-2014, 02:29 PM

I've been using SortIt Apps "Collectors" app. It has the "barcode scanner" feature you mentioned (well, 3 years ago haha). It also has a "bulk scan" function so you can quickly scan a ton of things and it'll automatically add them all from your smartphone.

You can edit nearly all the data of any item, including putting personal notes and use your own pictures if you'd prefer. It has online support so you can login online and see/manage your data from a PC as well or share a link with friends.

It apparently is a suite of sorts with different in-app purchases for other types of collections (i.e. movies, starwars figures, books, pez dispensers, etc.) but I got "books" for free and then it was only like $6 or so for the "video games" one. This pretty much covers all my CE guides and my games. Since you can add anything manually I suppose you could add artpieces and such to one of the above but It'd probably be easier to just get the "art" app-addon I'd think.

When I was on 3G it seemed like some of the bulk uploads I did (after purchasing a bunch of 3DS games) lagged or disappeared, but after a few minutes everything came back up. So so far no major complaints. It's already saved me quite a few $'s of remembering which games I was on the hunt for and which ones I already had ;)

For steelbooks and such you'll have to take your own pictures and add in your own manual criteria - unfortunately it doesn't currently let you create your own "platform" so you can't sort it by "Steelbook", but it is an option under "packaging", so there's that.

Anyway, figured I'd share my experience and hopefully it helps someone out here :)

Gemini-Phoenix
10-16-2014, 01:20 PM
I know I should really start to keep track of things, but it has now reached a point where it's a near-impossible task! I own so many editions that it would require a great deal of time and dedication to just list everything I own, let alone keep it up-to-date!

At time of writing, I have absolutely no idea how many LE's and CE's I own! I would estimate between 300-500 across all formats, but that's a wide range! It may even be more than 500 by now... My collection room is known as the T.A.R.D.I.S. as no matter how much I try to cram inside, there always seems to be more room for new CE's!

StayFree( ' 3')
10-16-2014, 01:31 PM
I know I should really start to keep track of things, but it has now reached a point where it's a near-impossible task! I own so many editions that it would require a great deal of time and dedication to just list everything I own, let alone keep it up-to-date!

At time of writing, I have absolutely no idea how many LE's and CE's I own! I would estimate between 300-500 across all formats, but that's a wide range! It may even be more than 500 by now... My collection room is known as the T.A.R.D.I.S. as no matter how much I try to cram inside, there always seems to be more room for new CE's!

....sweet jesus. O_O

I demand photos so I can witness this 8th wonder of the world firsthand.

Gemini-Phoenix
10-16-2014, 02:38 PM
I demand photos so I can witness this 8th wonder of the world firsthand.

The majority of my CE's are still packed away in boxes from when I moved house, which is where they will stay until I can build my new collection room.

I know I own somewhere between 100-120 video game SteelBooks. I also know I own around 120-150 X360 CE's, although that figure may cross-over with the SteelBook count as many CE's include a SteelBook. I started off buying LE's & CE's for both X360 and PS3 in the beginning, but I favoured the X360 as my default console as I had been collecting that the longest and it had more exclusive CE's at the time.

All I can show off is my old collection room from October 2012, but I have since expended my collection exponentially since then! I could show you a room full of cardboard boxes if you like... but it's not really much to look at