PDA

View Full Version : Protective Art Sleeves

8Bit
10-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Ok guys I had an idea, I was looking at my Dante's Inferno divine edition and really like the cardboard sleeve that protects game. It really guards against shelf wear, the game still looks mint. So why not produce these sleeves for all my games. So I am getting into making these sleeves.

Take a look at one I'm working on, It's not perfect and the image is a bit low res but this is just a beta.
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/961/icosleave2.png

If people are interested in these I be will making a bunch for sale on a later date. A bunch of my buddies want to buy some off me. I am making them simplistic and free of text and logos. I will get them printed out on thin sturdy cardboard that is a little glossy. The plans are to make them for all the all titles I have and all the new ones coming out.

I would like some feedback, I am curious to see if people are interested in this. So what are thoughts of the community? Please criticize as much as possible, and even make a suggestion or two, anything is appreciated.

Ideas that I'm considering:
``considered a side sleeve instead of the open ended sleeve like Dante inferno.`` - gurpswoo1

Phase: Brain Storming/Beta

First Batch will be:
Ico & shadow of the colossus
Batman AC
MGS4
MGS Collection(This will be fun considering I will have the book from the limited edition, Lots of awesome art but hard to render the art style)
InFamous 1 & 2
Uncharted 1-3
Assassin`s creed 1,2 Bh, Rev.

Ideas I want to run through the community(feel free to criticize and even make a suggestion)
Infamous 1 - Comic book / GTA style cover. 9 - 8 panels, 8= one rectangle panel, 9 = all square. Panel ideas: possibly rectangle 1: cole on bike on his way to the deliver the package. 2. Cole holding ray sphere 3. Bang explosion. 4. Moya 5. Reapers & Sasha 6. Dust men & Alden 7. Zeke's betrayal 8.Cole, swearing revenge on Trish's grave. 9.Kesler near death grabing Coles face (end scene where he zap his memories into Cole.)

Batman AC - I have multiple Ideas for this one (luckily black and white renders are super easy to work with IMO) Front: Close up of Batman's face where he has one arm up and blood over face and over. Back: 1.Riddler 2. Peguin 3. Two Face 4.Robbin 5. Joker. 6. Catwoman 6. Perhaps my favorite Harlequin

gurpswoo1
10-11-2011, 08:38 PM
While they give a nice artistic look to the game, I'm sure many members will ask what's wrong with using plastic wraps.

Unless you talking about open games where you want access to the game quickly.

8Bit
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I was going to get plastic wraps but personally I'd rather use a cardboard sleeve for the quick access as you said. Also it will make my entire PS3 collection match very nicely. I'm still in beta phase, trying to make a perfect template for all my games. I have a lot of free time this week so I plan on making the Ico sleeve and taking pictures of the actually sleeve on the case.

gurpswoo1
10-11-2011, 08:53 PM
In that case, we look forward to the initial batch.

Mike1888
10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Cool idea. Will you be doing any original designs yourself or just using official images?

Looking forward to see how these turn out.

8Bit
10-11-2011, 09:48 PM
For now I am using official images and other open resources for renders. I haven't really gotten down and dirty with Photoshop yet. Although I do have "special plans" for an Uncharted Trilogy Sleeve set. Also I plan on making several variants for fun. The possibilities are endless. My initial batch will be very simplistic and match the actual cover art mostly. I am going for a very clean look.

The first batch of sleeves I'm making are:
Uncharted 1-3
Ico Collection
Batman Arkham City
AC 1-2 brotherhood and rev.

vhal_x
10-11-2011, 09:50 PM
As much as it's a good idea, I wouldn't be interested as to me it seems like a fake? If you get what I mean. I'm not trying to criticize, it's just I wouldn't feel right having non-official slipcovers over my games when I can just use the little cellophane packets, sorry xx

8Bit
10-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Please do criticize as much as possible. And I see your point but personally myself I'd prefer a nice cardboard slipcover, seeing how well it work on Dante's inferno. It would solve a couple of problems for myself personally. It would make my old titles and greatest hits titles I have match on my shelve, harmony would be achieved at last.

And yes these would be unofficial, but don't let that distracted you, I am going to put quality work in making these mint. But for now talk is cheap, I'm currently working getting some super high res images.

Also I'd appreciate comments, criticism, and suggestions.

gurpswoo1
10-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Have to considered a side sleeve instead of the open ended sleeve like Dante inferno.

8Bit
10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I think that's an awesome idea. It would guard the game against shelf ware from the bottom too.

AJLareneg
10-12-2011, 03:44 AM
As much as it's a good idea, I wouldn't be interested as to me it seems like a fake? If you get what I mean. I'm not trying to criticize, it's just I wouldn't feel right having non-official slipcovers over my games when I can just use the little cellophane packets, sorry xx

I can kind of see this point...

Though having custom covers on games is something other people have been doing for a while now. Plus if they all have the same kind of cover they blend together nicer on the shelf. It kind of bugs me that some of my games have slip covers, and some of them have the older PS3 logo on the side... It'd be nice to have them all similar. :)

8Bit
10-12-2011, 04:01 AM
I can kind of see this point...

Though having custom covers on games is something other people have been doing for a while now. Plus if they all have the same kind of cover they blend together nicer on the shelf. It kind of bugs me that some of my games have slip covers, and some of them have the older PS3 logo on the side... It'd be nice to have them all similar. :)

My thoughts exactly, although these are unofficial, I see them more for their protective qualities. Although I am majorly focusing on aesthetics for my own personal reasons. Oh and BTW I forgot to include I am making inFamous 1 and 2 sleeves in the first batch because I love theses games. The cover is going to have a comic book panel type thing going on, with each pannel a major event in the game. They will be matching in color scheme.

AJLareneg
10-12-2011, 04:04 AM
My thoughts exactly, although these are unofficial, I see them more for their protective qualities. Although I am majorly focusing on aesthetics for my own personal reasons. Oh and BTW I forgot to include I am making inFamous 1 and 2 sleeves in the first batch because I love theses games. The cover is going to have a comic book panel type thing going on, with each pannel a major event in the game. They will be matching in color scheme.
Oooh, I quite like the sound of these, and I can't wait to see what you turn out! Is it going to be like the cover of the inFamous 1 SE? That is my favorite inFamous cover...:)

8Bit
10-12-2011, 04:09 AM
Oooh, I quite like the sound of these, and I can't wait to see what you turn out! Is it going to be like the cover of the inFamous 1 SE? That is my favorite inFamous cover...:)

Yea I <3 the SE cover for infamous 1. That will be major inspiration, although I will be using different images, it will be like my guide line.

Matrix6
10-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Nice work. But what I try to do is scam a 'promo copy' on display from the likes of EB Games [if they have any], I try to do that for games that come in digipaks or the the likes of the Batman games. It may not be the official cover but at least I won't have to touch my digitpak or go through the CE just to get the disc from it. I have a couple of spare game covers when I bought those PSN cards, but I don't think they provide case covers for them any longer...just voucher cards now. :(

Recently, I ordered NBA 2k12...they had that offer to choose an extra variant cover for the game, I chose Bird. But due to some technical fault, those who preorder offered their customers ALL 3 cover available!! xXx :beach:
Now I have all three covers, but just the one game :)

8Bit
10-12-2011, 04:35 AM
Nice work. But what I try to do is scam a 'promo copy' on display from the likes of EB Games [if they have any], I try to do that for games that come in digipaks or the the likes of the Batman games. It may not be the official cover but at least I won't have to touch my digitpak or go through the CE just to get the disc from it. I have a couple of spare game covers when I bought those PSN cards, but I don't think they provide case covers for them any longer...just voucher cards now. :(

Recently, I ordered NBA 2k12...they had that offer to choose an extra variant cover for the game, I chose Bird. But due to some technical fault, those who preorder offered their customers ALL 3 cover available!! xXx :beach:
Now I have all three covers, but just the one game :)

Nice! over here Eb games is impossible to deal with. I prefer amazon.com games come sealed and with English only on the case, and in most cases include inside box art.

RyuShinEX
10-20-2011, 08:36 AM
it will be nice to see some final pictures of it.

8Bit
10-21-2011, 03:14 PM
it will be nice to see some final pictures of it.

Truly I'm working on a whole initial batch. They would've be done if Batman AC didn't come out, it took all my free time btw its an awesome game(worthy of the hype). I just competed the story so I'm going to take a break from Batman AC and get to photoshoping hardcore.