PDA

View Full Version : What's loose in my Dark Souls LE?

Gemini-Phoenix
10-15-2011, 01:23 PM
I bought the Dark Souls LE last week, but intend to keep it sealed. However, there's a suspicious sound of something loose inside and I am curious as to what it could be.

My initial suspicion is that maybe it's some kind of leaflet or art card, as these tend to rattle fron side to side in these kinds of editions, but the object feels somewhat heavier than that. M

My second thought was that perhaps it's a loose disc, but the sound and weight of the movement doesn't quite fit with a loose disc. Besides, X360 cases very rarely develop loose discs, and if they do then they don't usually move around as freely as this

I would describe the feel and sound more like a single dice or maybe a coin (like a 1p or 5p or Cent). If I rock the box from side to side, the loose object moves and seems to settle in the bottom-left corner - Except for the fact that the promotional pitures show nothing of that size which could be rattling around inside

Has anyone here actually opened their copy of Dark Souls who could perhaps shed some light on this?

mosavon
10-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Yes, one of the copies i got in-store at GAME has this...its not normal as the 4 other copies i have do not have this rattle

On a side note where can i get a mint copy from? not happy with any of mine

evilvort3x
10-15-2011, 01:34 PM
mossy i went to 4 GAME Stores to get a PERFECT one lol

mosavon
10-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah doesn't surprise me, what is wrong with GAME?

gurpswoo1
10-15-2011, 01:41 PM
I think it's either the soundtrack or the "making of" DVD that's has come loose in the Artbook.

It's just a slit inside the front and back cover that holds it in place.

mosavon
10-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Lol the Dipshit in the local Game store tried to tell me the rattling was the Artbook, so i said "how can that be mate when the artbook is the same size as the box"? the rattling goes from one end to the other, also this isn't in any of the other editions

Edit : My closest Tesco Extra did not have any Dark Souls LE's

OceansAndEarth
10-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Sorry to alarm you guys but here in Mumbai some of the LEs (PS3) had the game disc come loose within the sealed pack. Some of my friends found out the hard way. There is a very distinct sound when you tilt the package. I had the same problem before I got the game replaced. Thankfully, the replacement went through without any hassles.

Anjelaoni
10-15-2011, 06:48 PM
I think it is the gamedisc. Mine was loose too, I opend my game because I wanted to play and discoverd the floathing disc inside the ps3 cover, it was lying on the instruction manual. Maybe the same problem here?

mosavon
10-15-2011, 07:15 PM
i would say so to Anj

Dreamcazman
10-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Besides, X360 cases very rarely develop loose discs, and if they do then they don't usually move around as freely as this

360 cases (normal green cases) are one of the worst for discs coming loose. I've had a few games arrive (always from overseas) with the disc floating around and scratched to shit! I put it down to poor packaging because it's pretty much guaranteed to happen if the game is sent in crappy padded bags. The problem can usually be avoided if sent in a box.

Don't really have a problem with PS3 games. Even if the disc does come loose, the extra hard coating prevents any and all scratches.

sleepwalker
10-19-2011, 06:05 PM
If its barely noticeable then it could probably be the voucher to download the strategy guide, etc, which is inside the disc box, along with the manual.

Probably wouldnt be possible to hear that though :)

Ayiu
10-19-2011, 09:48 PM
I heared that sound also in my LE and I thought it would be the disc but after opening my Edition it was the dlc card inside the game case which was loose.

Gemini-Phoenix
10-20-2011, 12:05 AM
360 cases (normal green cases) are one of the worst for discs coming loose. I've had a few games arrive (always from overseas) with the disc floating around and scratched to shit! I put it down to poor packaging because it's pretty much guaranteed to happen if the game is sent in crappy padded bags. The problem can usually be avoided if sent in a box.

There's a few different styles of X360 case, some better than others. I've just flicked through about 50 of my X360 games and spotted at least four different variants:

FlexBox (multi-disc) - By far the superior case design. Usually used for games which have multiple discs as it features a hard "nub". A few examples are Deathsmiles, Forza 3, and Final Fantasy XIII

FlexBox (single-disc) - Almost the same as the above, but features small grips around the "nub" to hold a single disc. Very rarely get loose discs with either of the FlexBox designs

Amaray - These are what I class as the default X360 case design. They feature a two-part spindle similar to the mainstream PS3, Wii, and early PS2 cases. Almost perfect, but do sometimes come loose. They also feature the RedTag security slots, which most of the other case designs do not. Examples of an Amaray case include Perfect Dark Zero, Dreamcast Collection, Duke Nukem Forever etc

Unbranded budget case - There's another case desgn which is cheap and flimsy and seems to bear no branding. The spindles feature four arrows pointing towards each other, and these often snap off causing the disc to come loose. If you have an X360 game with a loose disc, I will bet it's one of these! Examples include Dead Rising 2, Homefront, Black Ops etc... You can usually feel whether a game comes in this type of case because you can bend and twist the case, whereas all of the others are significantly more rigid

Gemini-Phoenix
10-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Back on topic:

I'm not sure what to make of my Dark Souls sound. I suspect it could just be a DLC card, as it really doesn't sound like a loose disc, but judging by what you guys have said, it could have slipped out. I am now worried in case movement has caused it to rip through its sleeve in the same way 12" vinyl records had a hait of slicing through their sleeves...

Does anyone have any photo's they could show of the contents, so I could see what it is most likely to be?

mosavon
10-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Back on topic:

I'm not sure what to make of my Dark Souls sound. I suspect it could just be a DLC card, as it really doesn't sound like a loose disc, but judging by what you guys have said, it could have slipped out. I am now worried in case movement has caused it to rip through its sleeve in the same way 12" vinyl records had a hait of slicing through their sleeves...

Does anyone have any photo's they could show of the contents, so I could see what it is most likely to be?

Definitely sounded like a disc to me with the dodgy one i had, return it