PDA

View Full Version : Could somebody please tell me why MW3 Hardened Edition is so large?

Gemini-Phoenix
11-11-2011, 10:08 AM
As the title says, could somebody please tell me why the Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition comes in such a large box, when all it contains is a SteelBook, notepad, code card, and a few DLC leaflets?

Did it really constitute such a large and quite frankly nondescript box?

The outer box measures approximately h9" x w6.5" x d3.5", when the contents would fit into a box less than half that depth! Why is this edition not of equal size to other CE's such as Gears Of War 1 & 2 or Mass Effect 1 & 2?

It just seems a bit wasteful and pointless if you ask me. There's absolutely no legitimate reason for the box to be this size, so why is it?

ChrissyCooza1
11-11-2011, 10:20 AM
I totally agree with you on this, I got mine the other day and the damn thing wont fit into my cabinet. I think they made it that big because Activision have been bragging about having the biggest game launch so why not make it the biggest game box to relate to it? (probably to piss off EA/DICE Battlefield 3 by saying our one is bigger than yours lol)

Dreamcazman
11-11-2011, 11:54 AM
It is stupid, most of it is just empty space. :???:

I prefer my CE's to be as small as possible, as finding space for huge ass CE's is always a problem.

Lemur
11-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Bigger means more expensive :haha:

Lemur
11-11-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm only buying it for the steelbook too as I like my stuff brand new if I can help it. The other stuff inside are crap anyway :hammer:

Twisted
11-12-2011, 07:12 AM
i received mine today from BestBuy and it arrived with excessive shelfware, really dissappointed in this..and it's sold out, so i can't even do an exchange..it looks like mine was stacked in between other unites on all 4 sides and top and bottom..has nicks, dents, just about everywhere i look.

RyT
11-12-2011, 08:59 AM
was looking at it this morning in a game store, my goodness the back of steelbook within the box has too much storage space.. complete waste. It would make sense if something like a mini guidebook or something added but just total waste. I'm surprise it even sold out :D guess it's one popular game that hardly drops price

themidlandmaster
11-12-2011, 09:39 AM
To make it seem decent value

Solemn_In_Berlin
11-12-2011, 10:53 AM
It is symbolic of Modern Warfare 3 and ultimately, the Call of Duty franchise: It is recognized as the 400-pound gorilla of the video game industry, but when you see beyond the hype, it's nothing more than a wild coyote that gets the attention it doesn't deserve.

That's why the MW3 Hardened Edition is so large.

RyT
11-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Rented it and finish campaign in 5 hours :S

Mike1888
11-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I like Call of Duty! But yeah, this could have just been the same size as the BO and MW2 hardened editions, but its not a big deal. I'm happy there's no stupid prestige edition this time. Also the 1 year elite is a great deal for CoD fans.

kennyrh
11-12-2011, 08:17 PM
One of the guys in my local games store actually laughed when he saw it because of all the wasted space inside the box. He also said it was one of the poorest CEs he'd seen for the price.

I was told by an HMV employee that they had sold out and that this edition was REALLY limited . . .but there's bloody millions of them in the shops where I live.

All this hype is just bullshit . . .bigger the game, smellier the bullshit. Definitely awaiting the inevitable price drop on this one :nea:

Gemini-Phoenix
11-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Also the 1 year elite is a great deal for CoD fans.

Well that's all dependant on how much you pay for the standard edition and how many map packs they decide to release throughout the year. If they only release two map packs like with previous Modern Warfare games, then it's not such a great deal. If you pay less than RRP for the standard edition, it's equally not as great a deal

I actually ended up paying less than £15 for my standard edition from Tesco using my Clubcard vouchers, so it actually works out cheaper for me to pay for each map pack as and when they're released than it would be for me to buy a Hardened Editon for £80 and get everything for free. For me, they'd have to release at least six map packs at 1,200 MS Points to make the Hardened Edition worth opening to play

(The fact that I also bought a Hardened Edition to keep for the collection is irrelevant, not that I even paid full price for that as I had £20 worth of GAME reward points) :uhh:

vhal_x
11-14-2011, 09:11 AM
They are releasing (apparently) 20 DLC's over the next 9 months, so without the Hardened Edition, you have to pay for all the ones you want out of that yourself (which is a shitload!) xx

Gemini-Phoenix
11-14-2011, 09:32 AM
They are releasing (apparently) 20 DLC's over the next 9 months, so without the Hardened Edition, you have to pay for all the ones you want out of that yourself (which is a shitload!) xx

That remains to be seen. If past COD's are anything to go by, we can expect maybe 12-15 new maps

However, DLC could mean anything from new maps to avatar clothing / items. MW2 only had two map packs containg five maps each, so I doubt very much that they'll release 20 packs! Black Ops had three main map packs which consisted of four multiplayer maps plus one Zombies map, and then a five-map pack for Zombies (20 maps total), so perhaps they plan on releasing 20 individual maps for Modern Warfare 3 rather than the maps as a pack?

vhal_x
11-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Here's the article, it says that some are map packs, some new game modes, and some spec ops missions:

http://mwarfare3.com/modern-warfare-3-dlc

:) xx

PPhantom
11-14-2011, 11:26 AM
I've never bought a CoD game and never will, problem solved.

Dreamcazman
11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
I was actually thinking of selling the elite membership. I only really wanted the steelbook and as I don't really play much online, any money I can recoup is a plus. :)

Saturn
11-14-2011, 12:24 PM
This is the most ridiculously expensive edition I've seen for a game that's just a juicy way of making easy money. It may be good, but I've had enough with COD and I'm not a big fan of shooters nor DLCs to start with, let alone the two things combined. That's what COD is all about: Multiplayer and DLCs. This edition was not released in Portugal or Spain unlike the previous hardened and prestige editions due to the elite membership BS, which is not available in these countries.

Gemini-Phoenix
11-17-2011, 02:09 PM
The stupid thing is, the COD Elite has been down ever since release day, so anyone who shelled out for the Hardcore Edition is probably feeling considerably screwed right now as they've paid an extra £40+ for a service which isn't even working yet!

Activision / Infinity Ward have stated that anyone who has paid for an Elite subscription (or bought the Hardcore Edition) will have an extra month added, but that's all assuming that they manage to get the service up and running sometime soon - Otherwise, those who shelled out £80 for it have effectively paid £40+ for a huge black box, a SteelBook, and a notepad...

goonergaz
11-17-2011, 02:20 PM
seemed to me a way to justify charging £80 for a £60 product

what does the elite thing give you anyway? I assumed it was all the maps for the first year + online - how will an extra month compensate when online should be 'forever'!?