PDA

View Full Version : VGA grader legit?

Gameshark
01-04-2012, 10:09 AM
What are your recommendations for grading your Sealed Collector's edition games? I hear VGA grader is popular in ebay, but is it worth the expensive cost?

Or just not have your games graded at all. Don't even know if it really matters.

gurpswoo1
01-04-2012, 04:32 PM
It really depends on what you want to do.

Like myself I have graded a game to simply preserve and protect it. VGA cases are very good.

The popularity on eBay is mainly due to resellers using VGA to increase the price. In high grades the demand for them is high to charge the higher prices but for lower grades demand is lower.

In terms of reputation and reliability, VGA are somewhat new to the grading industry and as far as I'm aware they are quite secretive about their credentials. There have been cases when they have mistaken a a reseal for a real seal. They are very rare cases but it has happened. In the end if the end users thinks it's real I guess it doesn't really matter.

For anyone outside North america cost are horrific and would take a long time to recover the cost of a lower value game, It's easier to understand and grade when the item is of high value.

So if you have higher value items, that you think would get a 85+ grade then it's a good idea.

If you want to preserve them with out the grading cost then you could buy the VGA cases direct for less.

DemonATX
01-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Everything is exactly as gurps says. I would definitely stick with just getting either your favorites graded or really rare high quality games graded. I myself like to get my favorite series graded, even though my Zelda II for NES has a hole in it and might not even get a silver rating....

But if you just want to preserve your games I would also recommend getting their cases or Alpha security cases(the kind they have at best buy, walmart, etc.)

nipperkipper
01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
In terms of reputation and reliability, VGA are somewhat new to the grading industry and as far as I'm aware they are quite secretive about their credentials.

Out of interest do you know of any other graders especially any closer to home

gurpswoo1
01-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Sorry I don't know any, its something many collectors outside North America want.

There is another in the USA, but they are a complete disgrace and you must avoid them at all cost.

vhal_x
01-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Can you open VGA grader boxes? Or would you have to smash it open xx

jugolicious
01-11-2012, 05:27 AM
you can open the VGA boxes from the bottom =)

or atleast most of them are from the bottom

vhal_x
01-11-2012, 10:11 PM
So, technically, you could get something minty mint reviewed, then when you receive it back with it's 90+ rating, switch it out with something in shittier condition (but not overly noticeable) and then close it, and sell it, claiming it is the good rating? xx

evilvort3x
01-11-2012, 10:44 PM
i dont think so cos the case inside is sealed completely i THINK vhal?

jugolicious
01-11-2012, 10:52 PM
the vga cases would just be sealed with a plastic bag and tapes.

if someone were to buy a vga graded item in the first place, it would probably be hard to trick that person with something of a lower grade.

i guess it would be possible to trick someone with a graded item of 95 with a 90, but that is a pretty complicated thing to do =/

vhal_x
01-11-2012, 11:01 PM
I was just wondering :) I think I overthink things too much :) xx

Gameshark
01-12-2012, 02:27 AM
It would be hard to trick people because there is a VGA#, which buyers can search to verify if the item is legit

gurpswoo1
01-20-2012, 11:49 PM
VGA graded games have the cases sealed, only the games that fail grading or cases purchased from site have a removable section.

vhal_x
01-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks Gee :) at least that makes it hard to try and fake a grading then :) xx