PDA

View Full Version : HOW or why did you start collecting games?

Twisted
01-18-2012, 05:40 AM
up until april 2011, i had no intentions of collecting games and had nearly zero interest in collector's editions, in fact i used to scuff at people who bought them as suckers, ;)...and thought of pretty much all of them as useless junk, then if there were truely neat exclusives, i rarely knew about them, or when i saw them, it was already too late, well to pass time, i do skim through gaming magazines, and back in april 2011 i landed on an article for sonic generations collectors edition, i thought that set was the coolest thing ever, that was the first time it made me pause and i was commited 110% to buying it...and it said it was'nt coming to america, so i figured i would only buy that 1, being my first collectors edition..and that was going to be it, ...then right after that, i saw and came across information for uncharted 3 explorer edition, i waited, and waited it out, until i bought it, but did'nt think initially it was worthwhile, then lastly when i heard the zelda steelbook was coming from futureshop..that pretty much sealed the deal..now there's no looking back, even though i'm heading towards being broke,lol..i can't stop.lol..and i want pretty much one of everything.lol..so the point is, if i had'nt read that magazine, and i had not seen that sonic collectors picture, i would have never collected anything gaming wise, and would have not even known about it, and would'nt even cared for zelda steelbooks or uncharted 3 explorer editions...sonic generations is what did me in, i give sonic generations all credit for making me into a game collector..that was it!!!!!!...that did me in :)

Letrico
01-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Well, since I was born in Malaysia and being in an average family, all I had was modded PS1 and PS2 so there was no chance for me to even buy a single original game. It cost around 200 MYR which is a lot since modded games were only 10 MYR each. Then I finally got a PS3 2 years ago and being a final fantasy fan, the FF 13 CE was my starting point. I'm already in Australia by 2007 so yeah quite some savings. I still remember when I ordered the CE I was so excited I couldnt sleep for a days of excitement since it was the very first PS3 game that I bought. But sadly thehut crushed my CE box and it looked like crap when it reached but being my first CE I was happy =D. Every since then I've been on lookout for CEs but couldn't afford them until 2011, the year I got part time job while studying in uni. The next CE I got was AC2 White Edition which is a bargain because some local shop was selling the last unit. It was then I started willing to buy CEs. One thing led to another (with more money saved up and played more games) here I am having one wardrobe of collection. I would like to thank Final Fantasy for making me broke now =D and also my 2 dogs that I bought in Australia.

bbki
01-18-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm bored....

Dreamcazman
01-18-2012, 07:35 AM
I've been collecting games for years, but moreso in the last few years when the 'collectors' editions started appearing more and more. Back in the original Xbox era there weren't many CE's around. One I remember was Halo 2 CE which was more plentiful than the standard edition! lol :lmao:

The CE's really started with the 360 and Oblivion, now every second game has a CE :facepalm:. If I buy a game I always check to see if a CE is available and I very rarely sell or trade my games afterwards so I make sure I always buy sealed mint copies. :v:

vhal_x
01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Okay, so I've failed with my no internet rule today, but as soon as CE goes down, I will restart my rule :P

Um, for me, I started collecting because my boyfriend was a collector already. He wasn't insanely addicted or anything, but he did enjoy spending any spare money he had on editions. However, he was never very good at finding the ones he wanted online (such as older releases that he'd missed) so I (being a strange CE search engine of a woman) would be given a list of editions he wants to track down, and I'd find them.

I'd always find them in no time (him and our friends don't really understand how I manage to find them, and so easily!) so he'd then tell me to look for others I'd think he'd like (obviously, being a gamer, and his girlfriend, I'd know what games/editions he's be quite interested in).

So after months of helping him out, I realised I was actually really enjoying searching for them, and finding out what is included in them, etc. So I decided to begin collecting too :)

Well, I say I decided, I didn't really... It just happened (after I realised I had made preorders for a bunch of upcoming editions :rotf:) xx

gurpswoo1
01-19-2012, 05:23 PM
For me it was kinda of weird

About 3 years ago I had finished my degree and was going into a part time masters. I come from a family that is very business orientated. Nearly all my family from my Great Grand Dad had their own business. There was serious pressure for me to follow in the same path.

So I decided that I wanted to be in retail and wanted to get some valuable experience. I contacted a few video game stores who listed their stores for sale, I found one willing to supply a pallet load of games. I emptied my savings and purchased the pallet of games for a good price.

To get valuable experience I decided to sell on eBay which I had never done before, it was an disaster. I got scammed by so many buyers and ended up losing £700 in a week. However out of all the sales, the only ones that were legitimate and actually gave me great feedback were the collector's looking for Limited Edition games. They also made up a nice chunk of my turnover.

It's at this point that I made the decision to change from being a normal video game eBay retailer to a Limited and Collector's Editions retailer.

I needed to do proper research and found this site, It was amazingly useful.

After seeing some of the great collections here, It inspired me to start collecting Sealed game. It would help me to get valuable information and help sell my games on ebay.

Then the recession happened, the bank refused me loans and my supply of games ran out. My day job was now my only funding for new stock, I tried to build up stock to get steady sales every month but it didn't help and the bank refuse a start up loan for the last time.

It was the end but my excitement of having these Collector's Edition was not, I kept the last of a few game and instead started to collect them. From that day I have collected games.

But my dream of a retail store is still there and I still have stock of games in storage, which I hope to sell on the opening. One day :) .