PDA

View Full Version : Keeping CE's sealed...

Gemini-Phoenix
02-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Not sure whether ths has been asked here before, but I was just wondering whether you guys think that keeping CE's sealed goes hand-in-hand with collecting?

We're obviously all here because we share a common interest - Collecting CE's - But how many of you keep some or all of your CE's sealed? I'm guessing that everyone reading this thread has at least one sealed CE in their collection, if not more!

If you're anything like me, you'll like to keep the elaborate CE's sealed and pick up a cheap standard copy of the game to play at a later date. After all, who really needs all of that crap they put inside CE's? It's not as if many of us would want to split the components of the CE up and display / use them, and I would think that the majority of us keep the items inside the box they came in

Most CE's look nice enough on display as they are. Some more than others. Sometimes keeping them sealed makes them look even more amazing, and it's always nice to look at a brand new untouched CE a few years later and marvel at its awesomeness!

So own up - How many of you are obsessive about condition to keep your CE's sealed? How many do you own like this?

Ceohai
02-05-2012, 09:24 AM
It has been discussed here:
http://collectorsedition.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4296

OT: I open most of mine, unless it's a CE I picked up after already playing the game, and I don't plan on displaying or using the contents. With a few exceptions, most CE boxes just don't look that good on display, steelbooks being a major exceptions of course.

swedish
07-01-2012, 04:03 AM
i just started collecting because i like the figures that come with the CE's. when i got my last ce someone told me that i should keep it sealed (so it keeps its value) so was debating whether or not to open and display the contents. but then i cant display the figures !!! i also was contemplating buying 2 copies one to seal and 1 to display but that would be quite pricy.
it would get under my skin to have that figure locked in a box, the fallout bobble head needs air

Thetof91
07-01-2012, 07:06 AM
I am mostly into the figurines too :)

So I have none CE that is sealed :) But I also don't have that many CE as some others in here.. And don't have the money too buy 2 editions so I have 1 display and 1 just to stay sealed and getting some value :) Even though I don't get why it is so much more value if sealed, even you have had you thing for displayed safe place and not in a smoking home or standing right in the sun or something :)

Solemn_In_Berlin
07-01-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't get value, too. But then again, I don't collect to make money.

Tauran
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
An interesting question which has occupied much brain space. i've recently started acquiring each available edition for single games e.g the steelbook, special and collectors ammo tin edition fo frontlines fuel of war.

Generally the first acquired is opened and the rest remain sealed.

I often like to open a new CE to check out the contents and leave the serial untouched. i like to think that its a nice middle ground. everything is still in original condition and retains most of its value i've often thought the presence or absence of shrinkwrap will make little difference in 10 years when the cd key is unused, and everything is new and shiny.

anyway my two cents.

scottcross
07-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Personally I tend to open mine and put all the contents on display, but I always have a nagging feeling perhaps I should keep some sealed, I've actually picked up two copies of mass effect 3 CE one open on display and one sealed, I also picked up a sealed copy of FF7 Crisis core and FF13 CE this year and I gotta admit just having these three games sealed as part of my collection adds to it and makes it feel more complete. If I can afford to buy two copies of CE's from now on I will so I can have one open and one sealed.

comaamen86
07-01-2012, 10:20 PM
open, otherwise you could save some money and just keep a photo of the box on the wall

v1sav1s
07-02-2012, 04:09 AM
So far I've opened all of them. I buy them for the artbooks, figures, soundtrack, behind-the-scenes discs, etc. Sometimes I'll only buy an artbook or other bonus from someone who did open theirs (or if they're a reseller).

Gazereths
07-02-2012, 04:20 AM
Since I only collect from a few choice franchises i'm not sure how valuable my feedback is, but I tend to keep mine sealed if I can. I often buy more than one copy of a CE though.

For instance I have bought 2 PS3 versions of the Mass Effect 3 CE, one to keep sealed and one to open and enjoy.

The same goes for the Metal gear solid HD CE and peace walker HD Japanese CE, I kept the PS3 copies mint and sealed and opened the 360 version to get at the goodies within.......I tend to prefer Playstation stuff especially when it comes to MGS.

DLC also comes into the equation, If the CE in question has some nice exclusive weapons/extra missions/armour/soundtrack I'll open it up to get at that.....Although I despise digital sountracks, give us a nice CD with some exclusive artwork FFS.

rapister
07-03-2012, 05:39 AM
i mostly keep them sealed
cuz i keep misplacing my only pair of scissors

Xmo
07-07-2012, 09:44 AM
I never like anything sealed, but the last 3 ce's I bought are (splinter cell conviction, canada ghost recon: fs, and duke nukem balls of steel)
its very tempting, but self satisfaction can be achieve by looking at unboxing videos and pictures of whats inside.