PDA

View Full Version : How to know Legit signed items from counterfiet ones?

questate
02-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Well, I got a question here. I am an avid collector of games but somewhat new to collecting signed copies/editions. How can we determine a whether the item is legit or counterfiet. Here is an instance that happened with me today.

I was bidding for this item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320841681113?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I put my max bid. I asked the seller if there is anything to state the item is Authentic. here was his reply:

"Authenticity of the item? I don't understand? I have provided the pictures of the items sent to me. I work for the video game industry and I constantly get sent these type of items all the time.

Yes this is from Naughty Dog, and Yes these are authentic. I previously auctioned off this item however the original buyer did not pay and I had to file an unpaid item strike".

I won the item. I put the question on the thread RARE STUFF found on eBay (or elsewhere) and luckily for me Jugo confirmed in time that the seller 'feirce products' do sell legit goods.

However, is there any way to know whether the signatures on signed items are Authentic?

(Apart from asking the signatory, in which case ofcourse you would get the item personally signed, no need of ebay there!) :haha:

jugolicious
02-05-2012, 09:41 PM
In a situation like this, I think the only thing you can do is compare the signatures with ones that are real for sure. Otherwise, I am not too sure of another option =S

gurpswoo1
02-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Jug is right, it's the only way.

You can of course take a picture or link to it, then send to the person who signed it for confirmation.

questate
02-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Jug is right, it's the only way.

You can of course take a picture or link to it, then send to the person who signed it for confirmation.

Thanks Gee :)

Would probably need Nolan North's and 20 other ND dev emails then in this case :haha:

help anyone ;)

Ceohai
02-06-2012, 12:27 AM
You can also try contacting some of the people through sites like Twitter.

That said, I wouldn't think that fake signatures are that big of a problem with video games right now.

Gameshark
02-06-2012, 05:20 AM
My advise is to avoid items that have been signed.

1. Sellers nowadays are getting smarter and are selling fake signature games for high amounts of money

2. There is no way to verify if any signature on any item is legit. Unless you were there in person to witness the signing.

3. Over priced signatures...

questate
02-06-2012, 11:58 AM
My advise is to avoid items that have been signed.

1. Sellers nowadays are getting smarter and are selling fake signature games for high amounts of money

2. There is no way to verify if any signature on any item is legit. Unless you were there in person to witness the signing.

3. Over priced signatures...

In my case shall ask for a refund then and request cancelling the transaction?

Mike1888
02-06-2012, 12:37 PM

No, you got a great item for a great price that not only looks very legit, but someone already confirmed that the seller of it is legit.

Just because its possible to forge signatures, doesn't mean everything is a fake. :thumb:

You can tell they're real signatures if people have photos of them getting it signed + it looks the same when you compare it to other signatures. I don't think fake video game signatures are a major problem, at all yet.

Gameshark
02-06-2012, 12:40 PM

It really depends if you plan on selling the item in the future. If you are then you should request a cancellation because hard core collectors will want an authenticity letter or else the value of the item will drop significantly.

But... If you are a big fan of the game and don't plan on selling it and also plan on passing it down to your future generations' children. Then keep it :)

Mike1888
02-06-2012, 12:56 PM
hard core collectors will want an authenticity letter or else the value of the item will drop significantly.

I disagree.

This is not sports collecting, if "hardcore collectors" only buy signed items w/ a COA then they're collection (of autographed items) is probably almost non existent.

Obviously authentication would raise the value but I don't think not having a COA would ruin the value.

questate
02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Just recieved my fortune hunter edition (Yay!) so I can check the signatures on the sleeve when I recieve it :)