PDA

View Full Version : 1st ever CE or steelbook

nipperkipper
02-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Nowadays CE's and steelbooks are a dime a dozen. However that wasnt always the case and it got me thinking about what the first ever 'collectors' edition game there was and also the first ever steelbook

I have searched the net but not got conclusive confirmation, does anyone know or has it been discussed before?

themidlandmaster
02-25-2012, 02:45 AM
Collectors' editions go back ages, so it's hard to define

At a guess, was Halo 2 the first steelbook?

gurpswoo1
02-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Yes is has been discussed, but it really depends on what you consider a CE.

I am certain there were some for NES. PS1 had some and Snes had alot of First editions.

Matrix6
02-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Would PC be the first to commit a CE??

How about the first for both PC and consoles?

themidlandmaster
02-26-2012, 04:53 AM
For consoles, this probably goes to the golden cartridge version of the legend of Zelda.

For PC, maybe the release of ultima 2? This came with a cloth map in the box

Gemini-Phoenix
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Collectors' editions go back ages, so it's hard to define

At a guess, was Halo 2 the first steelbook?

Halo 2 wasn't an official SteelBook. It was similar, but not by Scanavo, and not what we currently know as a branded SteelBook.

Killzone for the PS2 was in fact the very first video game SteelBook, which was released several weeks after Halo 2

As far as Collector's Edtions go, I would definitely consider the SNES big box games as CE's. Super Metroid and Zelda: A Link To The Past spring to mind, and I believe there were about a dozen big box SNES games released.

Gazereths
02-29-2012, 08:58 PM
There was a version of Elite that was packaged in a big box with a novella, training manual, map and posters.....Can't find any pics of it though.

Elite was released in 1984.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/Elite_org_cover.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/Elite_The_Dark_Wheel_Novella_%28Firebird%29.jpg

rapidly-greying
03-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Castlevania SOTN must surely be one of the first to come with soundtrack and artbook.