PDA

View Full Version : People's opinions on sealed/personal copies

davidw
03-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Hi everyone

I was looking over pictures of people's collections before and it got me thinking about the practice of sealed copies and personal copies - simply the art of buying multiple copies - I was just wondering what peoples opinion was on it? would you say it is only for serious (anal?) collectors or is it just second nature for you?

Personally I've never done it just for the simple reason it's never really crossed my mind, I've never thought "oh I need another of these" maybe because it just seems a bit alien to me, but also depending on the CE in question it could turn out to be very expensive which would be out of question anyway really since CE's are normally at least £70

Anyway i'd be interested to see peoples opinions on it, whether you do it or not
any thoughts really ;)

MayBee
03-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I collect steelbook for FUN. I don't even play the game so I prefer them sealed. However, I don't mind them opened, but must be minty from scratch and dent/ding for less price. I do consider paying more money for a sealed copy or a minty condition steelbook.

This is what hobby is all about for me, collecting them....

gurpswoo1
03-06-2012, 11:44 PM
It a good question, as a sealed collector I ask myself that question.

When it comes to duplicate copies, I tend to only get a normal copy of a CE if I really like the game. Which is few and far between.

The only other times I get duplicate CE/games are:

1) Purchase multiple to bring combined shipping down from overseas
2) It's cheap and worth having two or more
3) It's rare and I order two before it's soldout.
4) I like the Game and CE and love seeing multiple versions of the game.

oscarlucy
03-07-2012, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't put "sealed" Steelbook collecting under the umbrella of just collecting general CEs as a whole.

Most of the time, having sealed Steelbooks is entirely impossible, especially if they are a giveaway or bonus handed out without ever having been factory-sealed.

If we're talking about Steelbooks only, and not entire CEs in boxes, then no, it doesn't make sense to only try to collect factory-sealed copies, as you'll otherwise end up not having anywhere close to a complete collection as a large majority of Steelbooks may never come factory sealed.

Also, I prefer taking Steelbooks out of their original shrinkwrap, as more often than not *some* of them are sealed so tightly that, over time, the wrap shrinks further and actually causes imperfections/bends on the Steelbook. I prefer to carefully unseal all of my Steelbooks and put them in a slightly roomier and thicker (and at times much clearer) plastic wrap.

IMO, Steelbooks that are in pristine condition without scratches/dents are not any less valuable than ones that are sealed. I have come across sealed Steelbooks that actually did end up having imperfections, so i'd actually rather have an open and re-sealed/packed Steelbook that I know without a doubt is completely in mint condition.

Pielord
03-07-2012, 12:29 AM
I feel it's a bit anal as you have said, I love my collecting but really don't see the point of having two of the same game.
I have brought different versions of the same game (AC:B codex and jack in the box)
yet I do not see why you would get two of the same copy.
I feel it's a waste of money that could be spent on a completely different CE!
This is coming from someone though who struggles to get pennies together for one CE xD

davidw
03-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the insights peeps - I agree Pielord CE's are/can be hard and expensive to get hold of in the first place to buy more than one seems weird to me
- especially if you plan on flipping it for a profit that just wrong..