PDA

View Full Version : Vga grading costs start at $70??

Twisted
03-18-2012, 07:22 AM
hello friends, i was recently trying to get 2 XBOX360 SNIPER GHOSTWARRIOR STEELBOOKS NEW AND SEALED, "GRADED" using there most economical package, it each steelbook cost was coming out to just about $100 a piece..can someone please elaborate if there is a less expensive method?..or is that the cheapest route?...any help would be appreciated..thanks:bananayes:

Gameshark
03-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Wow! those must be in large game boxes. I spent close to $1000 getting all my games graded. Some of those games were in large dimensions like: Magna Carta 2 and Dead Island Treasure box.

I choose the cheapest tier for all my games even though they aren't worth $200, there actually worth about $800+ (each of them). The down side is it will take about 3 months to get all my games graded and sent back to me.

http://www.cgagrading.com/serviceguide/TierCodesPricing_VGA.pdf

The cheapest would be(depending the size of the item): V-S-3 ($25)

rainking187
03-18-2012, 07:35 PM
To be honest I've never understood the grading thing. It looks like you pretty much can't open the game once it's been graded? Why pay money for a game you can't play?

Saturn
03-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Same reason why you collect sealed games in first place.

While I understand that, I still don't know why people bother so much with VGA grading. At all. I will do my own grades if I want and not depend on something that has barely any official recognition besides fan's opinions - not to mention the costs involved in the process and the fact that you have to submit your games to someone you don't know by mail. I would never do that.

rainking187
03-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Same reason why you collect sealed games in first place.

While I understand that, I still don't know why people bother so much with VGA grading. At all. I will do my own grades if I want and not depend on something that has barely any official recognition besides fan's opinions - not to mention the costs involved in the process and the fact that you have to submit your games to someone you don't know by mail. I would never do that.

Well, when I was collecting I bought sealed games because I was tired of people describing their stuff as mint condition and when it showed up I wouldn't have even described it as acceptable, but when I got the sealed games I opened them and played them. I don't really understand buying sealed games and keeping them sealed either.

Johnny
03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
I agree with Saturn.
VGA is just a place where they put games inside boxes and give them grades :/, all of us could do the same.

Dont know why it adds value, but well if people have epic amounts of money to spend it's their choice.

Saturn
03-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Well, when I was collecting I bought sealed games because I was tired of people describing their stuff as mint condition and when it showed up I wouldn't have even described it as acceptable, but when I got the sealed games I opened them and played them. I don't really understand buying sealed games and keeping them sealed either.

I started just like you. But then I started to buy games that I didn't want to play because I had already played them before or I just simply want them for collecting purposes (like a particular game to complete a series or something like that). Then I also wanted to get sealed copies of my favourite games to keep them in the best possible conditions. Step by step and now there are games that I really need to own in factory sealed condition.

But I will never reach the level of paying 100 or 1000s for a factory sealed game that you can find in mint condition for much less. I also don't worry too much about the condition of the cellophane as much as it's official and intact.

Madigan
03-18-2012, 09:45 PM
I agree with you Saturn. I don't like when people gives too much power to these guys. I have a graded game... graded by who? This is a company that makes custom acrylic boxes, they slap a grade in there just for shits and giggles.

I can make my own custom case for less if I want to keep it in mint condition forever.

But I will never reach the level of paying 100 or 1000s for a factory sealed game that you can find in mint condition for much less. I also don't worry too much about the condition of the cellophane as much as it's official and intact.

Yeah, paying more for a graded game, when you can find it in the SAME condition for much less is just stupid.

Wombat
04-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Grading of collectables has been happening for quite some time now, for various product types. VGA is a clever company which tries to fill the void, because there isn't really a competitive video game grading company with a trustworthy track record.

When you buy video games for your collection from a person you know and/or have done business with in the past, then you can probably blindly trust their judgement is a certain item is in 'mint' condition. However if you look at some clowns at e.g. eBay who claim that item 'x' is in mint condition, while in reality the item is in a utter shit condition, then you will start to understand why there is a market for a grading company like VGA.

For the games I collect I don't feel the need for a VGA graded edition, however IF I was going to spend €200,- or more on a game (for collecting, not playing) then HELL YEAH I would prefer a VGA graded edition.

Saturn
04-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Grading of collectables has been happening for quite some time now, for various product types. VGA is a clever company which tries to fill the void, because there isn't really a competitive video game grading company with a trustworthy track record.

When you buy video games for your collection from a person you know and/or have done business with in the past, then you can probably blindly trust their judgement is a certain item is in 'mint' condition. However if you look at some clowns at e.g. eBay who claim that item 'x' is in mint condition, while in reality the item is in a utter shit condition, then you will start to understand why there is a market for a grading company like VGA.

For the games I collect I don't feel the need for a VGA graded edition, however IF I was going to spend €200,- or more on a game (for collecting, not playing) then HELL YEAH I would prefer a VGA graded edition.

Yeah, but then the price would not be 200. It would probably be a lot more.

Likey
04-27-2012, 03:27 PM
I was looking on ebay and this guy is pretty hardcore with graded stuff.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/video_game_quality/