PDA

View Full Version : Promos, Press kits, preview copies etc

oXdanXo
03-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Hi guys,

I've been thinking recently, does anyone know how or who gets hold of these "press kits" or even the copies that are "promo not for resale"?
What's the best way for a regular Joe to get ahold of them? I've decided that since the ps Vita is relatively new it would be a good place for me to start trying to complete an entire console of games but promo editions.

So far I only own a few promo copies and 1 press kit which is Grand Turismo 5 Prolouges press kit, but I'm keen to try and get more, but I'm also not looking at spending the earth on them as I've grown up over the past year to realise that I have to pay for food and a house etc. (Bad times when you're renting a flat)

Also why do they make "Press Kits" that are better than the expensive Collector Editions like Halo for example I was gob-smacked at the halo reach and halo 3 press kits.

Also is it just me or do they seem to get more and more extravagent? (Assassins Creed?)
Well I'm at it I know it's not a press kit but how did people originally obtain the Uncharted 2 fortune edition? That's just plain awesome!

vhal_x
03-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Press Kits are given out to members of the public that can generate hype, so tends to be people that work in the games industry such as IGN, etc. They tend to be better than CEs as they are promotional, so they don't make thousands of them, so they can afford to be more extravagant.

The Fortune Hunter Edition was given out to competition winners xx

oXdanXo
03-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks Vhal, I guess I need to create a website big enough to rival IGN then :)
My dream is over before it starts.

Saturn
03-18-2012, 07:43 PM
And not just that. There are different types of VIPs and some press kits are not given to many, hence the reason why some press kits are fairly common and others are nightmarish to find. At a beginner's level the best you would get would probably be promo copies.

vhal_x
03-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I mean remember the one from EA that had an iPad in it!? xx

vhal_x
03-18-2012, 08:52 PM
I actually own a few press kits, and would love to be the kind of person that gets them gifted to me haha, so I opened my own website with that intention, of being a game/edition reviewer, etc - but then my PC (where I was running the site) died, and I've abandoned the idea until I get a new PC (don't like coding on my MacBook) xx

oXdanXo
03-18-2012, 10:12 PM
We should have a press kit database :)

mypoorbrain
03-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Hi all,

My name is Tim and I'm a graphic designer. I'm the brains and hands behind some of the very press kits you're talking about. If you like, you can see my portfolio here (click 'Press kits' on the left to see just a handful of the kits I've done):

http://www.mypoorbrain.com

The SOCOM kit is particularly rare as only 25 of 2000 had the dog tags in.

Anyway, I've been talking with jugolicious and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions and help with your collections. I have probably around 20 - 30 different kits which I'm in the process of selling, some of which are already on eBay (eBay username: tms_72). Gimme a shout if I can help.

Cheers!

ingmar1988
03-20-2012, 01:45 AM
Im a huge press kit collector. Could u provide a lit of upcoming press kits that you are going to sell. The three u have on ebay right now i allready own :)

I saw u did the siren and socom press kits, are u going to sell those?

mypoorbrain
03-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Sure, you can download a folder full of images of my kits at the following link;

http://www.mypoorbrain.com/PlaystationKits.zip

That's almost all of them, I also have the Heavenly Sword kit and maybe a few others.

Yup, I have SOCOM and Siren for sale.

Email offers here: tim@mypoorbrain.com

Post questions to this forum for all to see :)

ingmar1988
03-20-2012, 02:20 AM
Check your email, i allready own alot of them very nice work :)

oXdanXo
03-20-2012, 02:21 PM
I can't see the pics until friday, do you have a list of the press kits you have for sale? I'd be intrested as I'm thinking of going into collecting them :) That's kind of why I started this thread for advice.

mypoorbrain
03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Sure, I think this is all of them:

- GT4
- GT5 Prologue
- Sly 2 Band of Thieves
- WRC4
- F1 Grand Prix
- Heavenly Sword
- Tekken 5
- Tekken Dark Resurrection
- Kinetic
- PSP kit
- Pursuit Force
- E3 2006
- Killzone Liberation
- SOCOM Special Forces (with dog tags - only 25 made)
- SOCOM US Navy Seals
- EyePet
- Resistance (metal cylinder)
- Buzz Hollywood
- Buzz Party
- Uncharted Drake's Fortune
- Warhawk
- Patapon
- Secret Agent Clank
- Motorstorm Pacific Rift
- WipeOut HD
- Siren Blood Curse
- PlayStation Network kit
- Invizimals / EyePet PSP (incomplete)
- DC Universe Online
- PSM Heroes

All complete and in great condition (except Invizimals / EyePet PSP)

oXdanXo
03-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Could you pm me the same list with prices on the ones you'd be willing to sell? I'd be intrested in DC universe, clank, resistance, gt4, tekken :) Killzone, heavenly sword :)

Ryu Kazama
03-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Got pics of the Tekken kits?

Robalvarez2010
03-25-2012, 06:06 AM
Hi I am really interested in the uncharted drakes fortune press kit. Let me know a price. Thanks

mypoorbrain
03-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Got pics of the Tekken kits?

Yes I do, download here:

http://www.mypoorbrain.com/PlaystationKits.zip

Email me if you're interested: tim@mypoorbrain.com

sandrik
03-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Hey there im very interested in the following press kits : Uncharted / Heavenly sword and resistance. plz pm me with ur prices . Cheers