PDA

View Full Version : Is this a sign of things to come?

davidw
05-30-2012, 04:40 PM
I couldn't really think of a title that truly reflected my thoughts and feelings on this subject but i was looking at the upcoming Harry Potter 31 Disc Set http://www.amazon.co.uk/Potter-Wizards-Collection-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B007N0IJGC/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1338389370&sr=1-5 coming out later in the year and my first thought was... How Much?

Then i thought when does a box set become CE, is it a CE just cause you throw in a box and some art? also more importantly when does a CE just become stupid, a shameless cash-in or more to the point a CE for the sake of a CE...

Now to me this just seems like a case of gouging fans for their money - is it worth near £200, that is hard to say you get the 8 films but then you get 22 films on blu ray in the James Bond box set and that is only £90...

They say it comes with Collectables and memorabilia but don't say what so i guess that could be the deciding factor but considering you can pick up the 8 films on Blu Ray for £36.99 (when did they get that cheap!) you are going to be wanting a LOT of extras for your money...

I guess one of my main concerns was that if they can get away with this will we see more films or blu rays CE, and will see them going up in price - to be fair Blu Ray CE's have always seemed expensive - the Tinker Tailor Solider Spy CE was around £50, Scarface CE was around £40-50 if i remember correctly, the Jurassic Park CE was around £60 but it did come with a dinosaur :) ha

Anyway i could be rambling here but these sort of box sets don't fill me with hope, i might of felt better if they shown what was in it or offer some compelling reasons for me to part with almost £200 for what is at the moment 8 films in a box....

Gemini-Phoenix
05-30-2012, 05:15 PM
I think the worst thing about this set is that it contains both the Dvd's and the Blu-Ray discs. Why does a set like this need to include both? It's only doubling the price, and anyone who has Blu-Ray won't even touch half of those discs...

I can see why they did it - To appeal to both Dvd and Blu-Ray owners at the same time, without having to release the same set separately - But when we've only just had all eight films released together on both formats, do we really need them released again so soon?

I think it's just milking the franchise for all it's worth to take advantage of the pre-Xmas period. I've already put off buying previous Harry Potter sets as I didn't see the point in buying something that was incomplete (although the luggage set did appeal to me). I gave in and bought the Limited Edition numbered box set of HP 1-8 a few months back, as I thought it was about time I added the films to my collection

This would appeal to me, but seriously £178 for a set of 31 discs of which half are redundant? Even at £100, I feel this would be taking the piss. At least with the James Bond set you get 22 films, whereas here you're getting the same eight films duplicated!

davidw
05-31-2012, 12:07 AM
Couldn't agree more - just a shameless cash-in - the franchise is still fresh in the grave and they are already lining up the 'greatest hits' as it were...

Also I know what you mean about DVD's they market it to look special, 31 discs - there are only 8 films so that makes an extra 21 discs - talk about a complete waste of plastic...

HIPPEEDUDE
05-31-2012, 01:02 AM
What a waste of money,people will only buy if they are a diehard harry pothead
fan or because it looks pretty. I really think these days we are seeing more CE
simply because they know there are people like us who will rush out & buy it.
Is a CE an item in the thousands or is a CE limited by number. It can be put
forward is anything really a CE because there are so many of them or because
of all the precious baubles that it includes. I am sure many of us have more than
one CE of something purely because theres something different in it thats not in
another. I remember a CE or LE use to be just because it had an extra disc,a slipcase
or simply came in a tin,now its got loot boxes,steel books,headsets,bobbleheads,
lunchboxes,artbooks the list goes on.
This boxset is simply a money maker,there is no choice you either have to buy it or not.