PDA

View Full Version : Price Guide

toxicatom5
08-17-2012, 01:58 AM
Growing up I used to collect baseball cards, there was a price guide published monthly for most cards (or "classes" of cards such as "commons"). It was a particular company's view of the market value of each card. Anyone who had this same hobby knows that you'd actually be hard pressed to sell any baseball card for more than half of it's listed value, but if you went to a shop to buy a baseball card you could plan on paying near the "book" value.

I was perusing the "what's the value of?..." thread a few minutes ago. There are lots of questions about some unique items, but a lot of questions are also about editions that are not all that uncommon. It seems to me like we are the experts on these items (although some of us might have an inflated sense of the market, particularly when it comes to items we really cherish...or want to sell).

There are some free services out there like http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ , but they are prone to inaccuracy. Items like Uncharted 2 FHE are shown as having sold at ridiculous prices, but if you look closely at feedback or pay attention to new listings that go up later on, you'll see that many are not actually sold. Sometimes the buyer chooses not to pay so the same item is relisted (but the original listing will still show up as a sold item), or sometimes a proxy bidder might run the price up just to cancel the transaction later on, again still showing up as a sold item.

For a price guide to be effective, it needs to be kept in one place, be fairly easy to find what you're looking for, and updated periodically (i.e. not searching through 140 pages to find what you want, and only to find that the post is over a year old).

I just wanted to get this idea out there. Any interest? And if so, what input/suggestions do you have?

Xmo
08-17-2012, 06:08 AM
This is very interesting, it will be also be great if loose items and nick'nacks can be included. How are you planning to show the prices? Multiple prices or just a typical high/low?

toxicatom5
08-17-2012, 11:54 AM
This is very interesting, it will be also be great if loose items and nick'nacks can be included. How are you planning to show the prices? Multiple prices or just a typical high/low?

I think it would make sense to have something like sealed/mint pricing and opened/complete pricing. This would give a range, and it would be your judgement where your items fall in that range. Nick'nacks could be included too, with a bit more work.

Just to be clear...I'm just the idea man here, haha. Thought it might be a nice thing to include for ourselves (if/when needed) and for new members who are just looking for a quick quote. Someone else would need to take the lead on developing it, although I'd help out as much as possible. For example, I have a few ideas for setting pricing -- essentially using a couple of polls and a statistical analysis.

themidlandmaster
08-17-2012, 01:00 PM
One way might be to index ebay listing in the database. Ive seen sites do it for ebay auctions to you can compare prices against past listings

toxicatom5
08-17-2012, 03:52 PM
One way might be to index ebay listing in the database. Ive seen sites do it for ebay auctions to you can compare prices against past listings

Like you said, there are sites that do this. Maybe it's possible figure out a way to remove the listings of items that show as "sold" when they really aren't (i.e. relistings / cancellations).

Xmo
08-17-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't know anyone here beside Twisted who is a software developer, and he always looks busy. I still didn't forget those Limited "Collectors Edition" T-Shirts :beer:

toxicatom5
08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't know anyone here beside Twisted who is a software developer, and he always looks busy. I still didn't forget those Limited "Collectors Edition" T-Shirts :beer:

Yeah, there just aren't enough hours in the day for most of us....