PDA

View Full Version : Displaying a collection

NaughtyDogJames
11-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Any advice. My current thinking is stuff like
-Steelbook stands (just eBay them if you don't know what I'm talking about)
-Argos shelves
-Plastic display stands
I've also consider VGA cases but they're a bit much for me.

NaughtyDogJames
11-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Also please just pics of how yours is displayed.

Dreamcazman
11-11-2012, 10:30 AM
At the moment I have my steelbooks in a cupboard. I would like to display them but I don't really have the space to have them all out on those stands, they are a good idea though.

Besides that I have two young children and I don't really want them getting hold of my cases. @_@

kittychloe
11-11-2012, 11:16 AM
At the moment I have my steelbooks in a cupboard. I would like to display them but I don't really have the space to have them all out on those stands, they are a good idea though.

Besides that I have two young children and I don't really want them getting hold of my cases. @_@

Im in your boat. Minus the kids, my entire collection sits in a closet due to lack of space

vhal_x
11-11-2012, 01:35 PM
My steelbooks aren't on stands, although I do have little stands (only 2 though) for if I want to take pictures. Steelbooks sit on a shelf, as with basically everything in my collection. It used to all be "displayed" on the shelves, but now they look more storage-like, since I've run out of space. Hopefully I'll have them back to being display-like again soon xx

NoScruffyNo
11-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Everything of mine is tucked away in the only places I can find space! :(

Once I stop being a lowly student I will have a place with more than one room for me and I can hopefully display stuff! :D

HIPPEEDUDE
11-11-2012, 03:22 PM
This is problem that we all have,displaying the precious. Steelbooks would have to be one of the hardest next to similar items such as guide books & art books to display without taking up excessive precious space. I have thought long & hard about whats the best possible way to display these types of items. Eventually i have in my opinion the most ingenious way to do it. This way will not only take up no shelf space at all,it will also keep them away from tempted little fingers:) Its so simple,display them in shadow boxes. Shadow boxes are basically thick picture frames you hang on the wall. So by hanging them on the wall they are well displayed for all to see,dont take up any shelf space & are well out of reach from sticky fingers. Ingenious & simple. The best bit is all you would really have to do is stick two pictures frames together to make a simple & effective shadow box/display case. Everythings there,the bits to hang it on the wall,the glass etc. If you wanted you could even use both pieces of glass so you can see both sides of the steelbook,guidebook or art book:)

NaughtyDogJames
11-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Any chance of a picture if one? They sound great.

vhal_x
11-11-2012, 03:35 PM
This is problem that we all have,displaying the precious. Steelbooks would have to be one of the hardest next to similar items such as guide books & art books to display without taking up excessive precious space. I have thought long & hard about whats the best possible way to display these types of items. Eventually i have in my opinion the most ingenious way to do it. This way will not only take up no shelf space at all,it will also keep them away from tempted little fingers:) Its so simple,display them in shadow boxes. Shadow boxes are basically thick picture frames you hang on the wall. So by hanging them on the wall they are well displayed for all to see,dont take up any shelf space & are well out of reach from sticky fingers. Ingenious & simple. The best bit is all you would really have to do is stick two pictures frames together to make a simple & effective shadow box/display case. Everythings there,the bits to hang it on the wall,the glass etc. If you wanted you could even use both pieces of glass so you can see both sides of the steelbook,guidebook or art book:)

Only problem is, if you have over 100 steelbooks, like I do, and not much wall space as it is, you're still fucked :P xx

NaughtyDogJames
11-11-2012, 03:49 PM
For me it might work though as I'm trying to display my Naughty Dog stuff. I am short on wall space though. 100 steelbooks on a wall would look awesome.

NaughtyDogJames
11-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Opinions people. Should I spend my money on more stuff or displaying my current stuff?

vhal_x
11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
It's up to you tbh. I keep meaning to buy more shelves to display my current stuff, but because I budget way in advance, I can't afford to buy more shelves right now, but am constantly adding to the collection (as I've budgeted for those items in advance). So I think I'll have to just put up with adding to my collection without better ways to display. Will sort that out at some point :rotf: xx

SwiftDeath
11-11-2012, 08:43 PM
I quite like the idea of hippiees shadow boxes.

I suppose we could just hang up our favorite 5 - 10 steelbooks?

If favorites change, we could easily swap them out.

NaughtyDogJames
11-11-2012, 08:46 PM
I've decided spend money on display. I think theirs no point in a having a good collection if you can't see it. Although my collections not great if I don't start improving my display soon then I'll never get round to it.
This sums up my feelings- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u-BDuGBddc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

HIPPEEDUDE
11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Any chance of a picture if one? They sound great.
Thats where the idea stopped,me not getting time to get some made up for the ones i have. I was thinking of doing them in lots,i.e all Assassins Creed steelbooks in one display. I do think this could work quite easily.

Only problem is, if you have over 100 steelbooks, like I do, and not much wall space as it is, you're still fucked :P xx
Where there is a problem,theres always a solution,one just has to think of it:) 100 steelbooks,easy as,you may not have many walls,but you have windows,doors & even ceiling space:D Imagine lying in bed looking up at 100 steelbooks on the ceiling,lol

I quite like the idea of hippiees shadow boxes.

I suppose we could just hang up our favorite 5 - 10 steelbooks?

If favorites change, we could easily swap them out.

Thank you:)Only problem is i am sure all the steelbooks etc anyone has are all their favourites to begin with otherwise we wouldnt have them at all. Unless a steelbook is picked just so it can be said you have one:) But,swapping around could be easily done i am sure. Once a month have a change around & your display will always be awesome as well as different all the time

As for displaying everything else,i spent AU$150 on 3 cabinets. All are solid pine timber with cupboards underneath for a little storage of boxes etc,all have glass doors to see everything,have adjustable shelving & will last forever being made of real wood. Also because i am using them for something there werent intended for theres extra space to eventually put more shelves in here & there:) I really must put a final games room pic up for all to see sometime today me thinks:)

Twisted
11-12-2012, 04:00 AM
Yes Hippeedude!...we would love to see pics of your game room and or game display!

scourdx
11-12-2012, 04:17 AM
If you truly want to display, I would go with Ikea Glass display. (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/). It cost $65.

I would opt for Expedit (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00208646/). It gives you many different options to display your collection.

Lemur
11-12-2012, 06:20 AM
Make a wall of steelbooks! :barsong:

xpl0sive
11-12-2012, 10:45 AM
In my gaming/theatre room, I have a large dvd/cd shelf with 3 rows of adjustable shelves along one of the walls that is used to store and display my games/movies/steelbooks and smaller CE's. I also have 2 detolfs in 2 corners of the room which I use to display my favourite CE's (usually the bigger ones). I'm also planning to install some floating wall shelves to store some of the bigger stuff, boxes etc...

NaughtyDogJames
11-12-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm tempted by a glass cabient and a few other things. I'll post pics once it's done.

xpl0sive
11-12-2012, 06:08 PM
The Ikea Detolf glass cabinets are the way to go I think. There's also a simple mod you can do to them to add more shelves.

HIPPEEDUDE
11-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes Hippeedude!...we would love to see pics of your game room and or game display!
Your wish is my command:)lol. Theres still a few things that i wish to do here & there but its work in progress.
This is what you see when you first walk in:
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p489/HIPPEEDUDE/r2-2.jpg
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p489/HIPPEEDUDE/r10.jpg
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p489/HIPPEEDUDE/r11.jpg
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p489/HIPPEEDUDE/r12.jpg
This is what you see when you turn right into the room:
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p489/HIPPEEDUDE/room3.jpg
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p489/HIPPEEDUDE/room1.jpg
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p489/HIPPEEDUDE/room2.jpg

Twisted
11-14-2012, 03:41 AM
Thank U for sharing those pics!!!!!...i really do enjoy looking at collector's set up...i like your AC collection..something to look at and admire for years to come..:D

HIPPEEDUDE
11-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Thank U for sharing those pics!!!!!...i really do enjoy looking at collector's set up...i like your AC collection..something to look at and admire for years to come..:D

Thats not a problem:). All i need now is a bigger room & yet more shelves,lol

SwiftDeath
11-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Hey found this video on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_EsdFsWpzQ&feature=related

They totally stole hippee's idea...

Still a very nice example of the shadow boxes hippee was referring to and these are made especially for steelbooks although I doubt they'd be cheap enough for most but man do they look good

I really love the picture @ 3:02, beautiful steelbooks, too bad they're all movies :)

HIPPEEDUDE
11-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Hey found this video on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_EsdFsWpzQ&feature=related

They totally stole hippee's idea...

Still a very nice example of the shadow boxes hippee was referring to and these are made especially for steelbooks although I doubt they'd be cheap enough for most but man do they look good

I really love the picture @ 3:02, beautiful steelbooks, too bad they're all movies :)

What rotten theives pinching my idea,lol. But,as you can see it does work & looks damn good if done right. I really dont think you need to go buy some specialty item from some fancy store,if your handy & have patience you can do exactly the same thing for only a few dollars,pounds,euro,lire or whatever:)

SwiftDeath
11-27-2012, 12:05 AM
What rotten theives pinching my idea,lol. But,as you can see it does work & looks damn good if done right. I really dont think you need to go buy some specialty item from some fancy store,if your handy & have patience you can do exactly the same thing for only a few dollars,pounds,euro,lire or whatever:)

Yeah I doubt they would ship to me and even if they did there would be no way I would pay what I'm sure they would charge

I just liked it because it was so well done :)

Although I think I would have to make the back side see through as well in case I wanted to see the backs of the steels as well

Never thought of making a multiple steelbook shadowbox although considering the size of some of the collections on here it's a necessity :rotf:

HIPPEEDUDE
11-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Yeah I doubt they would ship to me and even if they did there would be no way I would pay what I'm sure they would charge

I just liked it because it was so well done :)

Although I think I would have to make the back side see through as well in case I wanted to see the backs of the steels as well

Never thought of making a multiple steelbook shadowbox although considering the size of some of the collections on here it's a necessity :rotf:

Thats why i suggested sticking two picture frames together so you could use the glass from both of them & you would be able to see both sides if you wanted to. I wasnt suggesting doing individual steelbooks,guides or artbooks but doing them in a group or collage type format such as all Assassins Creed Steelbooks in one frame,a mix of the most colourfull ones in another etc. You could do individual lots if you had say one particular item which was the prize of your collection or whatever. Point is this idea really does & could work without breaking your budget or taking up precious shelf space:)