PDA

View Full Version : what's begining to piss me off is...

Twisted
11-21-2012, 04:09 AM
well..i have been collecting video game collectors editions..for about 1.5 years to 2 years or so..so not too long at all..but i have maybe around 20 to 25 pieces of collectors editions games and maybe around 20 steelbooks...i normally buy during new release period..for one of 2 reasons..to ensure i can get the most mint copy available to me and to ensure i get one just in case it's truely limited as they state (u never know right?)..or it would be an instant sell out..but now fast forward 12 months later..i see overwhelming majority of my collection items still available for sale with the prices massively slashed..sometimes as much as 75% to 80% off...meaning had i not bought at first strike,..and waited 12 months..i could of had 90% of my collection bought today..at MASSIVE MASSIVE SAVINGS $$$$$$ for the same identical items....you name it.."limited edition steelbooks"..."limited edition consoles".."limited edition games"..there all still available for sale..coincedently at least the ones i collect...maybe it's not the same for certain genres or game titles...but the ones i have there still for sale..some examples of what i bought because i beleived what i read them being advertised as limited edition are FF 13-2 COLLECTORS EDITION US AND MAX PAYNE 3 COLLECTORS EDITION US AND UNCHARTED 3 COLLECTORS EDITION US.MODERN WARFARE 3 US,..each one of these items is still to be found on-line buy retailers with discounts of up to 75% off..and this is just the tip of the iceberg..but why do i keep falling for the limited edition tags?..i always think..if i don't buy now..it will be sold out or real hard to come by..but rarely that is true..but game manufacturers still get me everytime.even steelbooks i will pay a premium for when newly released because it's said to be rare like uncharte 3 italian edition etc..then u see 6 months later..ebay sellers with 20 copies selling for $25...when up until then it was described as hard to get and shortage..sorry for my rant..just upset..i am still paying the bills for my collection..but paying 2 to 3 times more then now..had i waited a year.:barsong:

SwiftDeath
11-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Yep, I've only started collecting CE's seriously recently but I've been collecting steelbooks for about a year and a half.

In the beginning, I paid far too much for practically every futureshop steelbook I bought. Nowadays I'm a lot more cautious about my purchases and I do believe I have developed a certain sense for what steelbooks are worth etc.

CE's however are still a little confusing to me. For instance, I'm pretty sure I read at least 2 separate articles detailing how "limited" and "hard to get" Halo 4's limited edition was going to be but they made over 450,000 copies :(

I now think that retailers/publishers purposely lie to us so that we preorder something thinking it will be rare when it most certainly won't be.

Btw I knew the articles on Halo 4 were crap, I swear there were still halo 3 legendary editions in my best buy up until like 6 months ago

goonergaz
11-21-2012, 10:33 AM
What's frusrating is not knowing how many will be produced - therefore never knowing what is/isn't actually limited...look at Uncharted 3 US CE = loads and EU EE = extremely limited, this is then compunded by the fact they release far too many different (often only slight changes - like the Borderlands 2 Loot Chest).

vhal_x
11-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, next year I'm definitely gonna try to just preorder the ones I absolutely can't go without playing on release day (or ones that genuinely are super limited).

The rest I'll pick up once they drop in price, although I'll probably still stick to my usual "preorder everything" habit, but cancel things nearer to release if I don't need them, or if they haven't sold out xx

kittychloe
11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Theres no real way to tell whats limited untill after release, and the ones that usual claim to have limited numbers lie through thier asses like borderlands or halo..

Its why i live off sales and preowned