Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Display Case > Video Game Collecting

Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 AM

MortalMonday's Flag is: United States South Side of Chicago!
Default Quick Sega Saturn game case question

I just snagged my first ever Sega Saturn system. I'm thinking of buying Panzer Dragoon Saga. There's a listing for a copy right now with mint discs but banged up game case. It has scuffs, scratches, and a crack along the spine too. Do you think it would be easy to replace the bad game case with a fresher case. Now Saga comes with 4 discs I believe, so I'm not sure if that would make it harder to find an appropriate replacement case. Maybe I can just put the interior guts of the bad case (the parts that hold all the discs), inside a replacemt case? Is that possible? I've never even held a Saturn game case, that's why I ask.

Also anyone know what the battery inside the system is all about?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 AM
DB Proprietor

geralds's Flag is: United States
Default Re: Quick Sega Saturn game case question

The game cases are not even worth replacing the brake way to easy even with slight handleing. There the same with sega CD though big cases ar just a pain. As for the battery i think its just used to help with the internal saving and system clock easy to replace if you need it replaced.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM

Matt16's Flag is: England Doncaster

Geralds right about the cases being crap but they can just be replaced if needed. PDS comes with a card outer case as well though which you are unlikely to be able to replace.

The battery was the worst idea for a backup system I can remember. It's used for system settings etc but also for your save games. So you take it out you lose all save data. I'd recommend buying a backup RAM cart which can also be used to save your games and not use the internal memory.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Staff Member

Biggav4000's Flag is: Wales NORTH WALES

The single CR2032 to hold game saves, language settings and the calendar,
I also have a official sega memory cart for sale,I will also to see if a have a spare game case with room for 4 discs as like geralds said the game cases are crap i am currently selling all my sega saturn stuff
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM

Dreamcazman's Flag is: Australia Melbourne, Australia

I can't comment on what the US saturn cases are like as I only owned PAL versions, which were black plastic with cardboard on the outside. The glue would let go after a while which made them equally crap, but in a different way. I've gotten rid of most of my Saturn stuff, only kept 2-3 of my favourite games + the console.

The US Saturn cases can't be any worse than the PAL Dreamcast cases, you just had to look at them and they would break!

I agree the battery was either a silly idea or a smart idea, it forced people (like myself) to buy the cartridge otherwise you'd lose all your save data. I guess the reason Sega did it was to save money, flash memory was worth a fortune back in 1995.

Last edited by Dreamcazman; 02-11-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 AM

The slot on the back of the system, can someone explain everything it's used for please. I've read that the slot allows for the system to play imports, but I haven't read anything about how that would work exactly.

Again, I know next to nothing about this console, so all info is appreciated. Thanks for all the answers to this point by the way,
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM

Dreamcazman's Flag is: Australia Melbourne, Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_saturn
Have a read.

The cartridge slot was used primarily for the backup memory & the 4Mb carts. The 4Mb cart basically gave some games extra RAM otherwise they wouldn't work.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Staff Member

Biggav4000's Flag is: Wales NORTH WALES

This is all you need to play imports mortal does pretty much everything for the saturn
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Satur...item19d285d13b
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 AM
DB Proprietor

geralds's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggav4000 View Post
This is all you need to play imports mortal does pretty much everything for the saturn
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Satur...item19d285d13b
Just so you know it will not allow 100% of imports to play. The only imports your unable to play are the ones that require the ram cart to work which are all Japanese. So you if you owned a Japanese Saturn one of those would let you play 100% of all the games out there.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM

You're saying that a Japanese Saturn coupled with one of those Action Replay carts will play all games from all regions? Would a Japanese Saturn work here in the US? Would I just need a power outlet converter?