Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Lounge > General Collecting Chat

Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Owner/Founder

twistedsymphony's Flag is: United States NH
Default WARNING when BUYING or SELLING from USA Ebay Overseas

eBay recently started a "Global Shipping" service for USA eBay...

Basically the way it works is the US seller ships the item to "PBI" in the USA, then PBI opens the package to "inspect" it and re-packages it before sending overseas. Apparently they do a a really sh*t job of doing so.

This guy here Luke lives in Japan and ordered 2 separate arcade boards from US sellers who used this service, both arrived snapped in half with crushed boxes despite being packed properly by the original seller:

The worst part is that eBay put the blame squarely on the seller despite the fact that it's not their fault... it's worth watching the video just to see how much crap he went through to end up absolutely no where.

Last edited by twistedsymphony; 06-28-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 PM
DB Proprietor

ingmar1988's Flag is: Netherlands
Default Re: WARNING when buying from USA eBay Overseas

why the hell would they inspect and repackage it?

Make me an offer i cant refuse and anything from my collection is for sale
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM

vhal_x's Flag is: Scotland Glasgow, Scotland.

Maybe to make sure that it only includes the stuff agreed on in the original sale? As eBay now charges you import charges up front, so it may be something to do with that xx

Instagram/CollectingAsylum/Twitter
Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Cosmic_Link's Flag is: England Birmingham

Yeah, I bought an item from a seller and this scheme was in place. It was then shipped from PBI and then sent over to me. It was supposed to have full tracking to me and it did, but then when it got to the UK it disappeared completely off the radar. They didn't have the foggiest idea who had it and the item was stated as delivered on the tracking. Contacted the seller and then it was sent to the resolution centre. In the end I got a full refund, but they took the refund from the seller. Was a new seller too, so I felt kinda bad that his experience was a crappy one, as was mine. After a bit of messaging too and from eBay, they eventually agreed to refund the seller too as it was the shipping company's problem.

In my experience, I would avoid the EBay GSP like the plague! >.<
Looking to trade Kid Icarus AR Cards. Click here for what I need. UPDATED 14/04/2014

Click here for my intro thread.
For items available exclusively to the UK, see my thread for help with item forwarding.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 PM

Lemur's Flag is: Singapore

Wow that's total bullshit.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Owner/Founder

twistedsymphony's Flag is: United States NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingmar1988 View Post
I have 2 theories:

1. They want to make sure the package is as small and light as possible so they save money by cramming more into their containers.

2. BMI is working as a customs office making sure you're sending what you say you're sending, allowing them to skip the REAL customs office.

or some combination of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
Wow that's total bullshit.
Agreed...

To be honest this not only hurts the buyers and sellers but it hurts eBay too, eBay should seriously consider holding PBI responsible or cut them lose and drop the service...

Old 06-28-2013, 04:10 PM

SwiftDeath's Flag is: United States Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingmar1988 View Post
I'm fairly certain they have to in order to avoid possible litigation and the likes

Imagine their liability if someone tried to sneak something illicit or dangerous through their program and US customs found out?

Pretty sure ebay would get in trouble as they handle the customs process

Whenever There is a crap ebay policy, usual culprit is liability or profits at least in my experience

And yes the GSP is crap

Honestly had a lot of potential with the full tracking thing but DAMN if ebay didn't ebay it up

Now it serves as just another way ebay gets a higher % of the sale off you the seller and the buyer

Might be worth mentioning that from what I've heard if you turn on (accept) GSP, you can NEVER really turn it off

Everytime you ship international you have turn GSP off manually for each and every sale forever more

Gotta love ebay

January Update: Notebooks, Art, AC Items, Press Kits

Spoiler!

Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 PM
DB Proprietor

Xmo's Flag is: United States Carson, California
Default Re: WARNING when BUYING or SELLING from USA Ebay Overseas

Now we know cheap shipping comes with a price...
Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 AM

nipperkipper's Flag is: Great Britain Somewhere in Hyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftDeath View Post
I'm fairly certain they have to in order to avoid possible litigation and the likes

Imagine their liability if someone tried to sneak something illicit or dangerous through their program and US customs found out?
I dont understand the need to open up packages to avoid illicit or danagerous items going through their programme

I mean if i send something via UPS/DHL etc they also have the same job to make sure dangerous goods are not being shipped out. They do this by having x-ray machines, scanning equipment, sniffer dogs etc. Surely PBI being the multinational corporation they are have this equipment in place already.

Unless they are being super cheap i just dont see why they cant just scan products the same way every other shipping company does
Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 AM

SwiftDeath's Flag is: United States Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipperkipper View Post
I dont understand the need to open up packages to avoid illicit or danagerous items going through their programme

I mean if i send something via UPS/DHL etc they also have the same job to make sure dangerous goods are not being shipped out. They do this by having x-ray machines, scanning equipment, sniffer dogs etc. Surely PBI being the multinational corporation they are have this equipment in place already.

Unless they are being super cheap i just dont see why they cant just scan products the same way every other shipping company does
Hmm never thought about it

You may be right although considering how cheap ebay is, perhaps doing it by hand is cheaper than buying a proper x-ray machine?

Do you fill out customs forms as a seller using GSP? Or does ebay do it for you?

Also perhaps it's not as common as thought and PBI did put the packages through x-ray machines, saw the electronics and that sets off alarms?

Not sure what dangerous things look similar too in x-ray machines

Of course also not sure why you would bother repacking them unless ebay is saving on shipping by using less packing material or something

Sorry trying to find the most evil outlandish strategy possible as its the most likely one to be true

January Update: Notebooks, Art, AC Items, Press Kits

Spoiler!