Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Lounge > General Collecting Chat

Old 03-09-2014, 05:25 PM

CrossSleet's Flag is: Poland
Default How to start with CE

Hi there,
i have questions about starting my own collection. What should i do and shouldn't.
I always feelt like a gamer of sort but being young/not having money etc. made me rather PC player with piracy copies than original ones.
Now i can live by myself and started being true gamer like 3 years ago.
Now i have Nintendo Wii, PS3, PS4 and Xbox360 and nice collection of games. But they're just games. Standard copies, unpacked and all. For awhile im wondering about doing nice stuff with this but i have some problems.
First is, i want only games i like in my collection. Didn't like Skyrim so i sold it. Problem is- how can i buy CE for game i don't know i like? But if i buy standard copy and like it then i feel like buing CE is waste of money.
Should i sell standard copies of my games and buy CE instead? Like for Dark Souls, Fable or Dragon Age?
Next is- i only considered CE of games but i see many people buy not only that but other items of the franchise like press kit's, figures (not from game dev) and all. Should i do it too?
My only CE now is Naruto 3 True Despair and i like the feeling of figures and other stuff. Dunno what should i do
Next - what about CE with great stuff but not in my country? Like: Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is great in US edition but poor in EU, should i get US? More problem are great jap editions (i love Dragon;s Dogma jap watch) but i won't ever play this editon of game (due to region restriction of xbox360 and all). Should i abadon the idea?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 PM

SwiftDeath's Flag is: United States Chicago, IL
Default Re: How to start with CE

GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN! MADNESS AWAITS THOSE WHO VENTURE HERE!

I'm just kidding. Well kind of. Collecting can be very overwhelming when you first undertake it.

The most important aspects in the beginning are as you suggested deciding what you do and don't collect.

I would suggest trying to focus your collecting on no more than 3 franchises you like assuming you have some game franchises you really love. If not, then just focus on CE's or figures or steelbooks etc.

Trying to get everything will drive you nuts

Trust me I know

January Update: Notebooks, Art, AC Items, Press Kits

Spoiler!

Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 PM

comaamen86's Flag is: UK

always get the call of duty ce each year they hold and increase in value

if you can pick up a pes steel on ebay its a rare find dont miss out

stay away from mirrors edge steels you pay high and they are not rare

always bid more than its worth that way you can sell it for more

whenever buying a ce buy an orange at the same time, it keeps you human

on the forum

stay away from mags, she is like a poor mans mrs robinson, and will call you mean if you ask for oleg

advocate a general dislike for pugs

if you see another forumer is bidding on an item on ebay, share the link openly

Old 03-10-2014, 01:29 AM

Dan's Flag is: United States California

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaamen86 View Post
always get the call of duty ce each year they hold and increase in value

if you can pick up a pes steel on ebay its a rare find dont miss out

stay away from mirrors edge steels you pay high and they are not rare

always bid more than its worth that way you can sell it for more

This is how I collect

Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 AM

underfox's Flag is: Europe France

Quote:
This one cracked me up
Quote:
on the forum

if you see another forumer is bidding on an item on ebay, share the link openly
Yea this is the attidude here on this forum, do that and you can be sure people here will do the same for you later on the road.

Hell, some people even proposed themself to help me out just because, they could.... and that, even though it would give them extra work.

Follow the minion eye direction

I speak from my own personnal experience.

Last edited by underfox; 03-10-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:56 AM

usiris's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossSleet View Post
First is, i want only games i like in my collection. Didn't like Skyrim so i sold it. Problem is- how can i buy CE for game i don't know i like? But if i buy standard copy and like it then i feel like buing CE is waste of money.
Should i sell standard copies of my games and buy CE instead? Like for Dark Souls, Fable or Dragon Age?
Dont buy them. Collecting every game that come out isnt mandatory, collect games you want to collect. I couldnt care less about titanfall so I'm skipping over everything related to it. I wold rather put that money into franchise I like.

Be kind

Last edited by usiris; 03-10-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM

AlexFlynn's Flag is: Germany Leipzig

Don't buy CEs from games you don't like. Why should anyone do this?

I don't like Assassins Creed () although they have some really nice CEs. But I save that money for the CEs I really enjoy unpacking, watching and play with.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:56 PM

I didn't even think about buying items to sell them for more money later, can you do this?
Anyway, thanks for replies. It's still big problem for me. For startes i was thinking just about buying nice CE for games i think i like (Tales of Symphonia, Dark Souls etc.) but now because of this forum i see people are focused on all franchise... i don't think i like litographs or arts or items like that (figures and artbooks maybe).
Does collection with only games (standard and CE) counts? Even if it's not rare presskits or figures.
Today i preordered Dark Souls 2 black armour edition with steelbook (didn't want figure because i think its ugly...)- does it counts ?

(offtop) I really want Bishoujo Liara and Femshep from ME series but dont see this anywhere....
Generally i wanted to focus on gameroom (my wife is a gamer too) because we have 4 consoles and 2 tv but no comfortable place but i think CE are nice too.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:06 PM

underfox's Flag is: Europe France

If you want to collect standard edition only it obviously count as collecting games too think about it has a your personal game library , there is no rules when collecting games.

I for exemple, only buy collectors with " artbooks " in it. If it's a game I like but doesn't come with an artbook, I tend to skip it because I'm not fond of figures.

But other peoples will only buy it if it is numbered, or if it comes with a figure or just because they want to have a complete collection of the franchise.

there really is no rules, if you want to collect normal edition games, it's your choice and that doesn't make you less of a collector than anybody else.

Last edited by underfox; 03-10-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:14 PM

Is it even possible to have ''complete'' collection of the franchise? Assassin's Creed looks like endless.