Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Lounge > General Collecting Chat

Old 11-04-2014, 09:06 PM

xMike's Flag is: Germany
Default Should I keep everything sealed ?

Hi there I am new to the forum and have been looking around here the last hours and I have to admit that its really fascinating to see all these various collections! Its definitly fun to see! It also seems like a nice community here. So -

I just started collecting 2 weeks ago. I want to collect everything from TLOU. A week ago my first collectibles arrived..nothing special actually, only the Joel and Ellie collector edition which are/were Amazon IT exclusive and a T shirt box which was a pre-order "bonus" for germany. I opened the T shirt box and was about to open the Joel collector edition thing, but then I thought that if I keep them close, they might rise in value. I have seen quite a few Joel CEs but not many Ellie CEs, so I want to keep this sealed definitely. However, I have seen quite a few collections here where like 95% if not 100% of the stuff is still sealed. I like it as it also looks nice but does it make a big difference? What would you rather do - Keep everything sealed from the beginning or open up everything? Or keep only the very rare things sealed?!

P.S If you got something from TLOU to sell, you can PM me if you ship internationally.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:18 PM

Seesternmann's Flag is: Germany
Default Re: Should I keep everything sealed ?

Hi xMike and welcome to the forum.

The 'sealed-thing' again haha. ^^
In my opinion that only belongs to what sort of collector you want to be. You're right, sealed games/CE and all other gaming related things that are somehow rare will rise in value if sealed. So if you plan to sell some of your stuff later you definitely should keep everything sealed.

On the other hand you never will actually see all your stuff when you keep it sealed. You can't play the games, you can't enjoy the goodies from the CE's. And of course it's somehow expensive to buy everything sealed.

So there is no 'right' or 'wrong'. I decided for myself to open my games/CE. But if you're unsure for now it might be right to keep them sealed for now because you can open them any time you want.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesternmann View Post
Hi xMike and welcome to the forum.

The 'sealed-thing' again haha. ^^
In my opinion that only belongs to what sort of collector you want to be. You're right, sealed games/CE and all other gaming related things that are somehow rare will rise in value if sealed. So if you plan to sell some of your stuff later you definitely should keep everything sealed.

On the other hand you never will actually see all your stuff when you keep it sealed. You can't play the games, you can't enjoy the goodies from the CE's. And of course it's somehow expensive to buy everything sealed.

So there is no 'right' or 'wrong'. I decided for myself to open my games/CE. But if you're unsure for now it might be right to keep them sealed for now because you can open them any time you want.
I am not sure if I sell something later on but yeah, the thing that bothers me the most is that I cant enjoy the goodies :p

Yeah, maybe I should keep them sealed for now.. Thanks for your advice
Old 11-05-2014, 06:20 AM

Twisted's Flag is: United States United States

I am a sealed collector as well..i don't do it with the mindset that I will sell and make money down the road..i do it, because I enjoy the feeling of it being "brand new" each time I look at it..i just like that "fresh from the store" feeling ..if there is such a thing..i also don't like how sometimes if you open the package..the seal permanently damages the box, leaving sticker residue or small tear marks to the flaps etc...again, collecting especially the international editions are expensive, so I like to keep things mint as possible..and for me..it means sealed.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:15 AM

Yes, i know exactly what you mean many sealed things next to each looks even better
So you keep EVERYTHING for the collection you get sealed?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 AM

JRPGFan's Flag is: Australia Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
I am a sealed collector as well..i don't do it with the mindset that I will sell and make money down the road..i do it, because I enjoy the feeling of it being "brand new" each time I look at it..i just like that "fresh from the store" feeling ..if there is such a thing..i also don't like how sometimes if you open the package..the seal permanently damages the box, leaving sticker residue or small tear marks to the flaps etc...again, collecting especially the international editions are expensive, so I like to keep things mint as possible..and for me..it means sealed.
This I will never understand... as most people want to experience the game and goodies inside (Art Book and Soundtrack for exp.) UNLESS IT'S SUPER RARE/opening it doesn't really make it cooler, like a pack of cards (Promo pack, always the same cards) you know what's inside but the booster pack is SOOOOOOOOOOOO limited it makes it cooler to keep it sealed or a display piece where it makes sense to keep it sealed (like a standee if it's sealed in clear plastic, where you can display it and it will always be in top condition).
Old 11-05-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPGFan View Post
This I will never understand... as most people want to experience the game and goodies inside (Art Book and Soundtrack for exp.) UNLESS IT'S SUPER RARE/opening it doesn't really make it cooler, like a pack of cards (Promo pack, always the same cards) you know what's inside but the booster pack is SOOOOOOOOOOOO limited it makes it cooler to keep it sealed or a display piece where it makes sense to keep it sealed (like a standee if it's sealed in clear plastic, where you can display it and it will always be in top condition).
Ive done it with a yugioh booster which was only released in Japan

The goodies would be a reason for me to open the stuff up but i unterstand the 'new' feeling thing.
Well i would open some super rare stuff as well (like the pandemic edition of tlou) because i want to place the Statue somewhere here..Even though i think if i get it sealed ill think twice about opening it because of its worth
Old 11-05-2014, 07:32 AM

JRPGFan's Flag is: Australia Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMike View Post
Ive done it with a yugioh booster which was only released in Japan

The goodies would be a reason for me to open the stuff up but i unterstand the 'new' feeling thing.
Well i would open some super rare stuff as well (like the pandemic edition of tlou) because i want to place the Statue somewhere here..Even though i think if i get it sealed ill think twice about opening it because of its worth
I would open it, find a nice display cabinet from IKEA and display it with a background (that comes from the box? I don't collect TLOU stuff or even interested with the game to begin with.) Honestly... if you NEVER play to sell it, why keep CE with goodies sealed. You BET I'm gonna open that Ni No Kuni: Wizard Edition so I can enjoy that gorgeous Book inside... why buy a CE and not open it and screw someone else over who wants to open it? (Unless it's 1k+ on ebay, you're a true fan if you DO open it )

Last edited by JRPGFan; 11-05-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:35 AM

Yeah it has a Background with it and thats what I want to do. Some Nice lightning to it and it will look great. ^^

What do you collect?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:36 AM

singer07's Flag is: United States

buy 2, case closed.