Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Lounge > General Collecting Chat

Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 AM
DB Proprietor

Letrico's Flag is: Australia Melbourne
Default Anyone interested in Playstation VR?

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016...349-99-399-99/

Seems Sony have finally announced their VR and it is cheaper than all the other VR this year by at least half price in Australia.

Anyone interested in getting VR this year?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:09 AM
Site Supporter

Mike1888's Flag is: Canada Ottawa
Default Re: Anyone interested in Playstation VR?

Yeah I'll be preordering it. Was pleasantly surprised with the price.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:35 AM

Deathhound's Flag is: Germany Rapture

I am very curious about this and hopefully will be able to get it around the release.

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
Old 03-16-2016, 08:15 AM

Gazereths's Flag is: England Notts UK

Not sure I'll be pre ordering but I'm definitely interested. I want to see how VR feels without forking out a butt load of cash for an Oculus or Vive, I think this will help VR go mainstream instead of just being a toy for the high end PC enthusiasts.

My PC will run either the rift or vive but they are so damned expensive and I'm not sure I'd even like it, having a big - no doubt uncomfortable - headset on, also the possibility for motion sickness. I'm not willing to drop £500 to find out.

Also lets face it the only content available at the moment is basically glorified tech demos not proper games, hopefully the Playstation version will bring more devs onboard to create content designed for VR.

I must admit to drooling at the prospect of playing Elite Dangerous with a VR headset though....There's just not £500 worth of drool just yet
Old 03-16-2016, 10:20 AM
Staff Member

GameTrigger's Flag is: Estonia Tallinn, Estonia

Let see - I hope that isn't PlayStation Move vol.2...
Old 03-16-2016, 09:58 PM

Twisted's Flag is: United States United States

yea..i am scared of like the playstation move debacle..and a year later have the price crash hard, and have a fire sale to clear out inventory..plus i bet it would cause me nausea, i think early adopters will feel the burn when the prices massively get cut...look at sony playstation recent history,...PLAYSTATION MOVE, HOW'BOUT PSP GO? WHAT ABOUT 1ST PARTY SUPPORT FOR VITA? and lastly, VITA TV anyone? most of it, you can't even give it away for free.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:49 PM
Site Supporter

Mike1888's Flag is: Canada Ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
yea..i am scared of like the playstation move debacle..and a year later have the price crash hard, and have a fire sale to clear out inventory..plus i bet it would cause me nausea, i think early adopters will feel the burn when the prices massively get cut...look at sony playstation recent history,...PLAYSTATION MOVE, HOW'BOUT PSP GO? WHAT ABOUT 1ST PARTY SUPPORT FOR VITA? and lastly, VITA TV anyone? most of it, you can't even give it away for free.
Was the hype for move anywhere near PS VR though? It was pretty obviously just a weak attempt to capture some of that casual Wii market. Vita first party support is dead because the system flopped sales wise, although that's not a day 1 purchase I regret. PS VR looks like it will sell very well - it's much cheaper than other headsets and I've actually heard from a lot of people that they prefer PS VR to the rift or vive. Sure the cost will go down but as with anything that's the price you pay to play early.

I see a lot of people saying VR will be a fad like motion controls but I don't really see the connection. Motion controls replaced the controller, VR is more like a new type of screen. It could flop but PS VR is way more promising than anything you mentioned there.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:35 AM
DB Proprietor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1888 View Post
Was the hype for move anywhere near PS VR though? It was pretty obviously just a weak attempt to capture some of that casual Wii market. Vita first party support is dead because the system flopped sales wise, although that's not a day 1 purchase I regret. PS VR looks like it will sell very well - it's much cheaper than other headsets and I've actually heard from a lot of people that they prefer PS VR to the rift or vive. Sure the cost will go down but as with anything that's the price you pay to play early.

I see a lot of people saying VR will be a fad like motion controls but I don't really see the connection. Motion controls replaced the controller, VR is more like a new type of screen. It could flop but PS VR is way more promising than anything you mentioned there.
Thats the thing, Move was market badly and it was intentionally made to fight Wii and Kinect, which was a bad thing because no one bothered released games with proper move supports except shovelware games and the whole motion control thing was falling off. Sony was too late in the party. Vita died because western dev's give up on them and the western toxic whiners are part of the problem. Look at Japan, their Vita game releases are fantastic and so many great titles are still being developed. Not to mention 20000 units of Vita was sold during last week in Japan. It is not Sony's fault that Vita died in the west, it is the gaming community as a whole decided to kill it.

VR on the other hand is not a replica of any technology, it is to increase immersion to the game, which games are ultimately trying to do. It is a step closer to total immersion experience.

I believe VR will make a difference and change how the future games are developed.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:17 AM

rapister's Flag is: Singapore

im still hanging on to my Move controllers, they are a great solution to light-gun games for the ps3. and they will come in handy with my new playstation vr. which is nice.
anyways these move stuff, i blame nintendo. they started the fad. it was going to be short term, and that is no surprise. it is a novelty for kids at best, and once that wears off, the market dies. gamers in general don't want to wave or dance in front of a tv. like letrico says, sony was just late to the party. and kinect bombed obviously.

vr is something different, sony has been making vr headsets for some time now, just that this one is the PS version. it is not very widespread yet, because the software supporting vr isn't all that impressive. but if you can play major titles with vr (hopefully) then we might see some progress in this area. oculus and htc and so on are also fighting for their share, pushing vr via the PC market. so this is going to be big.

*only disadvantage is that there will be no vr sex games developed for the ps4.

btw:
preorders are up on mightyape NZ
Game UK
amazon UK - release date not guaranteed now (sold out on DE and FR)

(no news for US so far)

"Nothing is missed, everything is pre-ordered." .................. -Collectors' Creed
WANT : Any Lollipop Chainsaw items

Last edited by rapister; 03-17-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:21 AM
DB Proprietor

Launch shipment pre sold out in Australia/New Zealand