Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Bulletin Board > Introductions and Show-Off

Old 04-13-2016, 04:24 AM

Phantom's Flag is: United States
Default Greetings from Phantom, Thief Collector.

Hello fellow collectors. I am a Thief series collector from KY, USA.

I decided a couple of years ago that I wanted to have a collection myself after I started following a few collectors on Instagram. But it never appealed to me to collect complete sets for consoles or a plethora of big box pc games that I've never played or don't even want to. That led me to start collecting solely my favorite IP, Thief. It started with the 5 or 6 copies I already had, and now I'm slowly creeping up on a hundred copies of the series. I realize there are some great collectors on here with way more gems, but I am really thrilled with my collection so far, although I'm still really new to it and any tips you can give me is greatly appreciated.

I've just left everything the way it sits on the shelves for now, if someone wants to see detail on something I'll take some more shots of it. If you have any questions ask away!

Sealed Thief 1 trapezoid, Sealed Thief Gold trapezoid signed by the dev team, Thief II trapezoid signed by the dev team.

Sealed Thief 1 trapezoid, Sealed Thief Gold trapezoid signed by the dev team.

Thief II trapezoid signed by the dev team, art book, magazine adverts.

Thief reboot press review guide.

Various sealed jewel cases from US and Japan, Korean strategy guide, Japanese PS4 dsiplay box, cinch sack from NYCC '13 with t-shirt inside.

Jewel cases from Russia and Ukraine, PC Gamer demo disc for Thief 1, glyph t-shirt.

U.S. Trapezoid boxes, U.S. re-release big box Thief II, Thief 1 euroboxes from UK and Germany.

U.S. re-release big box Thief 1, various euroboxes from UK, Germany, Spain. Thief II big box from Japan. Prima strategy guides.

U.S. IEMA sized boxes, one Korean on far right.

Various pc keepcases from around the world, original Xbox copies of Deadly Shadows.

Various copies of the reboot + Korean guide book. (The Master Thief Edition on the left is just a custom cover I made when the game came out.. I was taffed that we did not get a physical PC release in the U.S.)

Japanese strategy guide and Korean variants.

Japanese PC reboot, UK steel, Russian 'extended' edition.

Hideout lithograph 6 of 250.

Obviously not Thief, but you couldn't be a fan of Looking Glass Studios in the 90s without some System Shock.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:59 AM

xhunter's Flag is: United States Maine
Default Re: Greetings from Phantom, Thief Collector.

Very comprehensive Thief collection! Nice!
Old 04-13-2016, 12:54 PM

BAD-WAYNE's Flag is: United States Texas

I love that Series as well but sadly it's one I have nothing of collectible wise short of a few common games...nice comprehensive collection.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2016, 01:54 PM

g6t9ed's Flag is: United States Texas

Great dedication to a particular IP! Love the collection. Question for you though, with all the criticism of the newest one, what are your thoughts? Likes, dislikes? Have you ever considered collecting for similar styled games i.e. games like Splinter Cell or Hitman?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:12 PM

BAD-WAYNE's Flag is: United States Texas

...or Dishonered

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2016, 03:46 PM

Phantom's Flag is: United States

Thanks guys!

@g6t9ed, as far as the reboot goes, it's definitely my least favorite as far as gameplay goes. What i disliked: Changing the climbing mechanics to grappling instead of jumping and mantling really pulled me out of it. Also I was disappointed that the factions from the original games were gone, i.e. hammerites, pagans, and keepers. Another thing that bothered me was the bow mechanic, it felt too much like a slingshot, a bow should feel two handed, the Tomb Raider reboot got that one right, and so did Far Cry 3, but Thief just didn't feel very realistic. Then there was the modern looking HUD that seemed out of place. With all of that being said the most important part of the series is the atmosphere, which I think they did a pretty good job with. It's all about tension and evasion, and I definitely got caught and killed a few times. The asylum and bridge missions were especially fun. At the end of the day it feels like a decent stealth game with a Thief skin on it, and I really hope they revert further to the originals for the next one.

@BAD-WAYNE and g6t9ed, as far as collecting other games.. I've definitely thought about it, but then I always think I could collect more Thiefs with that money instead. I'm also a musician which is a whole other expensive hobby itself. I do enjoy some Splinter Cell and Hitman from time to time, but I've always preferred a medieval or dark age setting over modern styling... I'm the guy that brings a sword to a gun fight. As far as Dishonored, I loved that game and I'm excited for the sequel. I would definitely rate it above the Thief reboot. Actually the guys at Arkane Studios are huge Thief fans, one of their level designers is a well known Thief modder.

Thief was the first PC game I bought for myself. I was 15 years old, and ironically getting hooked on playing it got me off the streets and behind a computer for many hours. I quit stealing stuff in real life and changed my attitude entirely. In many ways I'm a much different person because of it, so you can see why the series is so dear to me. The only other series I would love to collect like this would be Zelda, but as I'm sure you all know that's a whole other beast and I'm not ready to tackle it.