Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Lounge > General Collecting Chat

Old 06-08-2016, 07:35 PM

Veggz's Flag is: Norway
Default How do you buy signed stuff with confidence?

Hey!

Seen a lot of signed gaming items for sale and I see many on the forum own signed items.
Everytime I see a poster etc. that's signed I'm constantly thinking about the chances of it beeing fake, and therefor always skip it.
I would just sit all day and stare at my newly purchase thinking ''did I just get screwed over.''

Only signed item I have is Uncharted 3 drakes journal hardcover limited to 500, where I know all the 500 were signed by Nolan

I just wonder how do you buy signed items without having this shitty feeling?
Do you just trust the seller, do you have someone looking at the autograph etc? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Site Supporter

Mike1888's Flag is: Canada Ottawa
Default Re: How do you buy signed stuff with confidence?

I have a few Kojima-signed items. Generally I try to figure out the event the seller got it signed at (often it will align with their location) and also compare the signature in question to confirmed signatures. I used to use an image that had a timeline of Kojima signatures and showed how it changed over the years - it helps that Kojima dates his signature. Obviously you can never be certain though.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1888 View Post
I have a few Kojima-signed items. Generally I try to figure out the event the seller got it signed at (often it will align with their location) and also compare the signature in question to confirmed signatures. I used to use an image that had a timeline of Kojima signatures and showed how it changed over the years - it helps that Kojima dates his signature. Obviously you can never be certain though.
That is very smart, thanks! A timeline showing how peoples signatures change sounds really helpful.

I guess it's the part about not beeing certain that holds me back.

Maybe I should just educate myself to be an autograph authentication expert lol
Old 06-09-2016, 10:18 AM

vhal_x's Flag is: Scotland Glasgow, Scotland.

Typically if they have some form of proof of attending an event, or possibly a photo with the person in question, those are the best ways.

Unfortunately, majority of the time it's complete reliance on gut instinct. Sometimes a sig can be easy to spot as fake, other times not so much. Just carefully go over the item, and compare with others. Not much else can be done in some cases, unfortunately xx

Instagram/CollectingAsylum/Twitter
Old 06-09-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhal_x View Post
Typically if they have some form of proof of attending an event, or possibly a photo with the person in question, those are the best ways.

Unfortunately, majority of the time it's complete reliance on gut instinct. Sometimes a sig can be easy to spot as fake, other times not so much. Just carefully go over the item, and compare with others. Not much else can be done in some cases, unfortunately xx
Yeah it would help a lot if seller had a photo with the person!
If I dare to buy something signed I will definitely try to go over the item and compare it with other signatures, thanks!