Old 11-26-2011, 11:45 PM

Iwatasan's Flag is: United States Kokiri Forest
Exclamation WTB: Silver Phantom Hourglass DS Lite

Want To Buy
Title: Limited Edition Zelda Phantom Hourglass DS Lite Bundle
Platform: DS Lite
Region: UK only
Condition: Complete in box
Notes: This bundle came with Phantom Hourglass (PAL) and a silver DS Lite with a black outline of Phantom Hourglass art. It was limited to 1,000 units. There are tons of counterfeits out there, so I'm only looking for one complete in original box as evidence of authenticity. I just lost a bid on eBay for one of these and I'm totally sick over it. It was the first one I've seen in years and seemed to be complete and in good enough condition. I figure it'll take me years to find another comparable offer so I might as well get started posting wanted ads. I'll gladly pay $500+ for one and would be willing to consider absolutely any offer. Send me one via PM or e-mail me at sylvanmonk "at" gmail "dot" com.

Last edited by Iwatasan; 11-26-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:01 AM

nipperkipper's Flag is: Great Britain Somewhere in Hyrule
Default Re: WTB: Silver Phantom Hourglass DS Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwatasan View Post
Want To Buy
Title: Limited Edition Zelda Phantom Hourglass DS Lite Bundle
Platform: DS Lite
Region: UK only
Condition: Complete in box
Notes: This bundle came with Phantom Hourglass (PAL) and a silver DS Lite with a black outline of Phantom Hourglass art. It was limited to 1,000 units. There are tons of counterfeits out there, so I'm only looking for one complete in original box as evidence of authenticity. I just lost a bid on eBay for one of these and I'm totally sick over it. It was the first one I've seen in years and seemed to be complete and in good enough condition. I figure it'll take me years to find another comparable offer so I might as well get started posting wanted ads. I'll gladly pay $500+ for one and would be willing to consider absolutely any offer. Send me one via PM or e-mail me at sylvanmonk "at" gmail "dot" com.
This is a tough one to find, i have been after one for ages as well - when this first came out i went to my game store and they had two priced at £100 i believe - i went to buy but my card was declined (fraudulent activity i didnt know about the day b4 which was just my luck) so after going to the bank to sort it out and withdrawing cash i went back and both were sold - i felt like crying - will never forget that day

what was the link of the ebay item if you dont mind that is
Old 11-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Unhappy Re: WTB: Silver Phantom Hourglass DS Lite

Here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170733897510...84.m1423.l2649

WHY DIDN'T I BID MORE.

I've already got dibs if the winner doesn't pay up but yeah right
Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 PM

Twisted's Flag is: United States United States

that sure is a beauty..do you know how one came about purchasing it in the UK?..when they were announced?..like was it a UK specific retailer exclusive?..or did nintendo put out a announcment, that they'd be only 1,000 but available at all UK stores?..etc?..i would love to know a bit of back history on this
Old 11-27-2011, 11:48 PM

Twisted's Flag is: United States United States

also is or was the boxart exclusive to the "silver" model?..and was it like only pre-order?..
Old 11-28-2011, 05:08 AM

I don't know the entire story, and I wasn't in the UK when it was released, but I was watching the news online at the time. It was 2007, coming up on Black Friday, shortly after the release of Phantom Hourglass. On short notice, NoA and NoE announced simultaneous releases of special edition Zelda DS Lite systems bundled with Phantom Hourglass. The US version was the gold Triforce edition and the UK one was silver with that black outline art. Except I don't remember hearing ahead of time that either one would be limited. The US one sold for a while. I've heard they made 10,000 units but that could easily be an underestimate. The UK one though I found out later (after it became much harder to find on eBay) was limited to only 1,000 units. Then you started seeing Chinese and Hong Kong companies selling replica silver DS Lite cases with the same art, and not long after that people selling their DS Lites "refurbished" with the replacement cases. Hard to find the genuine article these days, needless to say.

This is a pretty speculative account, but from what I understand, the UK silver PH DS Lite was only available from "small independent (franchise?) game shops." Of course with only 1,000 units produced, each game shop probably got like 10. So of course if you didn't pre-order, then tough luck for you, but to be honest, because of NoE's last minute announcement, I'm not even sure if you could have pre-ordered. First-come first-served survival of the fittest gets it may be closer to the reality. And yes, that particular box art was exclusive to the UK edition. The US DS Lite was gold and had very different box art. Kinda tired right now so if I missed anything just post another reply and I'll try to tell you everything I know. I have some pics layin' around too.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Social Network Liaison

Gemini-Phoenix's Flag is: UK Ipswich

Quote:
There are tons of counterfeits out there, so I'm only looking for one complete in original box as evidence of authenticity.
As you already stated, there's tons of counterfeits out there. These are actually regular DS Lites which have had a cheap external case swapped - The cases themselves are not official Nintendo cases

Obviously the only way to be 100% sure is to buy the complete set with box, and to be honest these things are so rare and sought after I would guess that almost all of the people who bought one will most likely keep the set complete

Quote:
I don't know the entire story, and I wasn't in the UK when it was released, but I was watching the news online at the time. It was 2007, coming up on Black Friday, shortly after the release of Phantom Hourglass. On short notice, NoA and NoE announced simultaneous releases of special edition Zelda DS Lite systems bundled with Phantom Hourglass. The US version was the gold Triforce edition and the UK one was silver with that black outline art. Except I don't remember hearing ahead of time that either one would be limited. The US one sold for a while. I've heard they made 10,000 units but that could easily be an underestimate. The UK one though I found out later (after it became much harder to find on eBay) was limited to only 1,000 units. Then you started seeing Chinese and Hong Kong companies selling replica silver DS Lite cases with the same art, and not long after that people selling their DS Lites "refurbished" with the replacement cases. Hard to find the genuine article these days, needless to say.

This is a pretty speculative account, but from what I understand, the UK silver PH DS Lite was only available from "small independent (franchise?) game shops." Of course with only 1,000 units produced, each game shop probably got like 10. So of course if you didn't pre-order, then tough luck for you, but to be honest, because of NoE's last minute announcement, I'm not even sure if you could have pre-ordered. First-come first-served survival of the fittest gets it may be closer to the reality. And yes, that particular box art was exclusive to the UK edition. The US DS Lite was gold and had very different box art. Kinda tired right now so if I missed anything just post another reply and I'll try to tell you everything I know. I have some pics layin' around too.
You are quite right. These were actually commissioned as a thank you to all the small official Nintendo traders, and only sold by the small businesses in Europe and the UK. I bought mine from a small independant trader who was selling on eBay.

They are indeed limited to only 1,000 units, and this has been clearly stated since launch, and well documented by Nintendo themselves who put out a press release prior to launch. I am sure there's adequate citation to be found somewhere online

It's also not just limited to the UK as far as I am aware - It was for selected indie retailers across all of Europe

Original RRP was around £130 I believe (a little higher than the standard cost of a DS Lite with a game at the time), although current eBay demand pushed prices to around the £170-£180 mark. I personally paid around £160 for a sealed one (which is still sealed I might add)

Soon afterwards, prices shot up, with unboxed complete ones usually fetching upwards of £450 and sealed examples often fetching between £600-£800. These prices seem to have held steady over the years (as you can see from the link a few posts above)

This is not to ever be confused with the far more abundant GOLD Phantom Hourglass DS Lite which was sold exclusively in North America
Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 AM

Talking Re: WTB: Silver Phantom Hourglass DS Lite

Can I buy yours...? I'll pay you 4 times what you paid for it!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Social Network Liaison

Gemini-Phoenix's Flag is: UK Ipswich

Quote:
Can I buy yours...? I'll pay you 4 times what you paid for it!
I think you may already know the answer to that question
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Unhappy Re: WTB: Silver Phantom Hourglass DS Lite

Yeah...*sigh*
Closed Thread