Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Display Case > Video Game Collecting

Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
DB Proprietor

gurpswoo1's Flag is: UK United Kingdom (UK)
Default Mass effect 3 CE UK packaging comparison and Warning

OK so I got copies from a few retailers and I thought I should share my findings on each retailers packaging. There is also a big warning on one of them and I suggest anyone in the UK read the Gamestop UK part.

Anyway so lets start off with Amazon.co.uk, It's a well know fact that Amazon has been one of the better ones out there, in terms of items arriving in the best condition.

I received one X360 and one PS3 CE in a box, it was packed well with brown paper in all gaps, although it was not in the centre of box so any impact from the side would cause problems.

Worst is that the X360 copy was on top of the PS3 copy, this mean't that the PS3 copy has crease marks from being crushed by the heavy X360 copy on top. It will go back for replacement. The X360 is fine except there are scrape marks on the cellophane seal . The PS3 copy does not have these marks.

---------------------

Play.com

Play.com has quite possibly the worst reputation in terms of packaging, I had hoped that they their recent takeover by the Rakuten Group would change the way they deal with Collector's Edition. Sadly they are still the same, they sent the game in a jiffy bag. I was seriously lucky when they arrived in near mint condition, however those overseas are unlikely to get them in good condition.

More worryingly, the Collector's Edition has the exact same scrape marks on the seal. Again this is a X360 copy, could this be a manufacturing problem.

---------------------

Shopto.net

Shopto are hit and miss at the best of times, however I was told by another member here that you can pay an extra £6 for a box and a courier service. So I manage to get both options from two friends here. The free delivery options came in today but it was sent in a just a jiffy bag, there is edge and side damage, which is what you expect. So overseas buyers this is unlikely to get to you in mint condition.

The courier option did indeed come a box but is a very hard to see where the extra £6 is going. All they did was place the jiffy bag in a box side ways. That's it, it still arrived the same day. It did arrive in mint condition but again the same scrape marks on the seal, not as bad as Amazon and Play.com but still visible.

---------------------

Sainsburys

I have never ordered from Sainsburys before, mainly because I expected them to be like Tesco and Asda. Anyone who has ordered from them before will know how bad those two are.

However to my surprise Sainsbury is the clear winner here, they used an oversize box so any damage to the sides will not effect the game inside. Secondly the side walls overlap so are reinforced. Lastly they use a shrink wrap to hold the game in place. preventing it from sliding around. The best part is that there are no scrape marks on seal, 100% mint. Big Kudos points should go to Sainsburys on their packaging.

---------------------

Gamestop UK - Warning to UK buyers

If Sainsbury represent the best of this group, Gamestop UK represent the bad, when I say bad I mean worst.

Firstly the packaging, I paid an extra £5.50 for the courier option which I had hoped would mean a box or better protection. This was not the case, they used a jiffy bag and an oversized one at that. The result of an oversized jiffy bag is that the game is free to move about and so causes even more damage, even when it's in the delivery van waiting to be delivered.

You guys have likely already figured out that it arrived damaged, it has crush marks and again the weird scrape marks, however the damage is not the worst part of ordering from Gamestop UK.

When I opened the jiffy bag, I was amazed that the game was a not a UK BBFC version but a Euro PEGI version. Likely the Ireland one, after investigating the Gamestop UK website I found evidence to prove this. The website support and order enquires are from Ireland. Checking the Gamestop Ireland website also confirms they have the same items in stock as the UK one.

EDIT: Also the PEGI version is Shrink Wrapped sealed compared to the UK BBFC which is Cellophane Sealed. Thanks Richm for reminding me.

If any of you guys care about which version you keep and have ordered from the Gamestop UK website, please check your copy immediately even if it is opened.

----------------------

I hope the above information is useful, especially to new members who have yet to experience the good and bad of ordering Collector's edition from these retailers.

Those of you who have ordered this edition from other retailers please let us know your experiences.

Gee

Part 1 and Part 2

Last edited by gurpswoo1; 03-09-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Madigan's Flag is: Argentina
Default Re: Mass effect 3 CE UK packaging comparison and Warning

Thanks gee for the info

It's good to know, especially for international buyers. I'm going to avoid ShopTo at all cost.

This was my fear, "the jiffy bag of death". 3 of 5 retailer packed it like that

EDIT: A mod should sticky this and change the title to "Retailers: packaging comparison" or something like that.

Last edited by Madigan; 03-09-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:47 PM
DB Proprietor

driv3r's Flag is: United States

Excellent review!
Sainsbury has some excellent packaging!! :O

Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 PM
DB Proprietor

Thanks guys,

Yeah I was surprised by Sainsbury's, Have to give it them. They prove me wrong.

I was also expecting a copy from HMV aswell. Guess it's not coming on release day.

I have also been told by a few other members that ASDA has a reach a new low point. As soon as I get more info I will update.

Part 1 and Part 2
Old 03-09-2012, 05:18 PM

vhal_x's Flag is: Scotland Glasgow, Scotland.

I ordered from ShopTo after tonnes of people telling me they were brilliant xx

Instagram/CollectingAsylum/Twitter
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM

Matrix6's Flag is: Australia

Thanks G, you hit the 'spot'
I shall report on my order once it has arrived. Shopto sent mine.

Last edited by Matrix6; 03-09-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Gs
Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 PM

oXdanXo's Flag is: Wales

Damn I cancelled from Sainsburys and ordered at gamestop to save £3, if it comes and it's PEGI, they're getting it back with a strongly worded e-mail
I'm already P****d with them now and they haven't done anything yet.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM

gu8's Flag is: England

my xbox version from gamestop.ie was pegi, the ps3 version was bbfc
Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 PM

ferrari100's Flag is: UK UK

I got three ce's from Gamestop and they were bbfc
Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 PM
DB Proprietor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu8 View Post
my xbox version from gamestop.ie was pegi, the ps3 version was bbfc
This is making no sense at all, think I will contact them directly for comment.

Part 1 and Part 2