Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Display Case > Video Game Collecting

Old 03-24-2012, 06:35 AM

HIPPEEDUDE's Flag is: Australia Somewhere:)
Unhappy Will this be the end of future Collectors Editions?

I spend a bit of time on a few forums,try to keep up to date with news & latest tidbits of information etc. The most recent thing i have been told though is a little worrying for the future Collectors/Limited Editions that may never be. According to various sources the new Xbox console to be released in 2013(a hopefull release date by Microsoft) will have no disc drive at all. All games will be download content only. If they do this,its possible others may follow. This may quite possibly mean no more lovely new Collectors/Limited editions will stand in a place of pride amongst our collections.
Anyone have any thoughts on this or maybe even concrete proof of this?
This is the most reliable source of this info i have found so far:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclu...xt-xbox/092534

If this is in the wrong place,feel free to move it
Old 03-24-2012, 08:09 AM

scottcross's Flag is: Wales south wales
Default Re: Will this be the end of future Collectors Editions?

There is a lot of rumors flying around the place about this, but personally I think the next gen will have a disc drive....but it would not surprise me if they start introducing downloadable games on a bigger scale, they are hopefully going to phase it out rather than change it completely. Plus I dont think everybody's internet is quite up to scratch yet to accommodate downloading the big games
Old 03-24-2012, 08:15 AM

Solemn_In_Berlin's Flag is: Philippines Fort Frolic, Rapture
Send a message via Yahoo to Solemn_In_Berlin

I'm more worried about the end of discs than the end of collector's editions. I love discs and a physical library/collection is to me, more sentimental than a digital one.

That being said, I could care less about next-gen consoles right now. The PS3 isn't even close to realizing its fullest potential right now and we'll see more of what the 360 can do. There is still no confirmation of a next-gen console being revealed this year, let alone E3. I'll believe when I see it. Until then, I'll enjoy what I have at present. And I think you should too. The next-gen consoles aren't coming anytime soon.

What can I say?

Last edited by Solemn_In_Berlin; 03-24-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 AM

sleepwalker's Flag is: United States

First of all - rumour. Secondly, no optical drive is not equal to not having physical copies of games.
They can just switch from discs to cartridges/memory cards/etc. We still will have Collector's Editions.

Digital distribution only is stupid at this point in time and within at least 25 years to come.
Too many consumers still do not have a wide enough bandwidth to be able to download 25GB of data on a regular basis.

PS: fuss is over nothing, really.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Dreamcazman's Flag is: Australia Melbourne, Australia

Yeah I read about this. Most sources seem to think that M$ will move to a SSD type drive/cartridge for the games. This is good in a way because there's no more worrying about scratching discs, theoretical endless size for games (compared to disc limitations) and faster loading times. Cost is the only deciding factor.

If M$ do decide to go with a SSD device, we'll still have CE's, it'll just be exchanging one media format with another.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 AM
DB Proprietor

gurpswoo1's Flag is: UK United Kingdom (UK)

I will modify MCV opening statement to what really is happening:

Quote:
Gurpswoo1 @ Collectorsedition.org has learnt that MCV has been lying to its readers that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive, even though that is complete rubbish.
In other words a big load a crap, what is likely happened is that Microsoft has told it partners to start considering Digital Downloads during the creation of their games. In other words optimised the game for digital distributions i.e DLC, extra content, etc.

If there any developers out there that has not considered this already, they are not worth mentioning. This does not mean there will be no disc. In fact it is impossible, If PS3 games now take up almost all of the Blu-ray disc space. i.e 40 GB+ how will digital be able to cope with more than that. The Same with Xbox, it's guaranteed that the next Xbox will have games that take considerably more space.

One top of that Blu-rays in 3D sometime require 2 disc. Hard drive space would need to be huge.

Also as Sirren has stated, No one is going to wait several days to download a game, in my case 2 weeks. They will simply not bother and it would kill sales.

The News story has been fabricated simply for the Fan boys/girls.

I have never heard so much rubbish in my life.

Part 1 and Part 2
Old 03-24-2012, 11:35 AM

HIPPEEDUDE's Flag is: Australia Somewhere:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurpswoo1 View Post
I will modify MCV opening statement to what really is happening:

In other words a big load a crap, what is likely happened is that Microsoft has told it partners to start considering Digital Downloads during the creation of their games. In other words optimised the game for digital distributions i.e DLC, extra content, etc.

If there any developers out there that has not considered this already, they are not worth mentioning. This does not mean there will be no disc. In fact it is impossible, If PS3 games now take up almost all of the Blu-ray disc space. i.e 40 GB+ how will digital be able to cope with more than that. The Same with Xbox, it's guaranteed that the next Xbox will have games that take considerably more space.

One top of that Blu-rays in 3D sometime require 2 disc. Hard drive space would need to be huge.

Also as Sirren has stated, No one is going to wait several days to download a game, in my case 2 weeks. They will simply not bother and it would kill sales.

The News story has been fabricated simply for the Fan boys/girls.

I have never heard so much rubbish in my life.
I never said it was fact,thats why i have asked if anyones got concrete proof &/or thoughts on this. Personally,i dont think it will happen(yet anyway) for various reasons. MCV was one source i know of,albeit not always a reliable one.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Staff Member

jugolicious's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPPEEDUDE View Post
I never said it was fact,thats why i have asked if anyones got concrete proof &/or thoughts on this. Personally,i dont think it will happen(yet anyway) for various reasons. MCV was one source i know of,albeit not always a reliable one.
No one will have concrete proof against MCV's argument, but MCV doesn't have any either to support their's. Everything right now are purely speculation and rumours.

I think the next gen consoles will still include a disc drive. As sirren said, the world isn't ready for everything to go digital, mostly because of bandwidth issues. Some gamers still doesn't use the internet.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:49 PM

Icek's Flag is: Croatia Rijeka, Croatia

Remember PSP Go? And it's sales failure (almost) solely cause of digital download games only.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:17 PM
DB Proprietor

gurpswoo1's Flag is: UK United Kingdom (UK)

Quote:
I wasn't saying your statement was fact or not, simple that MCV are twisting the truth to exploits and peak interest in Fan boys.

If the source existed, they would put it in the article.

Quote:
Remember PSP Go? And it's sales failure (almost) solely cause of digital download games only.
LOL - Yeah Someone once told me that they never got pass the first batch, but seriously if the one platform that would benefit most from Digital only was a complete a utter failure. Then Publishers must be smart enough to consider it bad practice to do it to consoles.

Part 1 and Part 2

Last edited by gurpswoo1; 03-24-2012 at 08:19 PM.