Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Lounge > General Collecting Chat

Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 AM

LonestarGoner's Flag is: United States Michigan, USA
Send a message via AIM to LonestarGoner
Default Do not support the vga!

Let me start by saying that I have done and still do professional video game appraisal. I have a degree in history and have knowledge and skill in museum practices - preservation, inspection, repair and reconstruction, etc. I detest the (so-called) Video Game Authority! As a collector and appraiser, they are the worst charlatans in the game collecting community. If you keep collector pieces, do not use them for appraisal. Here is why:

1. No list of qualifications. True, there is no formally recognized body that certifies appraisers. VGA, however, does not list a SINGLE credential on its website - they only list "years of experience". No degrees, no affiliations with appraisal societies (of which there are MANY reputable), nothing.

2. Everything is done in secret. This is claimed to be for safety and security, but that's bunk. If that we're the case, all appraisals would be done secretly - not, for example, on television like the Antiques Roadshow. The appraisers name and business is always listed on the show, so if you were curious you could just look it up. Not true for the VGA - no names or locations.

3. No external observation. All grade scales, all packaging, all oversight (if any) is done in-house. No one to verify if they are legit, which is a HUGE red-flag and basically admittance they are not. Reputable archival houses (museums, antique auction houses, etc.) will allow others from time to time to look over their work, as a way to say to the public "We are legitimate."

I could go on for a long time, but let me say this - if you are a collector and want your collection or individual pieces appraised, do not use the VGA! Game appraisal is currently a small (but growing) field, and it may take work to find a legitimate appraiser, but for the sake of your collection and your wallet, don't use con artists. Support educated and experienced appraisers. Thanks for letting me rant.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:50 AM

Twisted's Flag is: United States United States
Default Re: Do not support the vga!

but VGA appears to be on the forefront and very popular..i' am ignorant when it comes to this field..but whenever i hear about video game grading etc...always hear VGA..NOTHING else i have ever heard of...and if you look at the case, the hologram sticker..the wrappings etc..appears to be quality work....can you list some legitamate alternates with their websites?..
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 AM

SwiftDeath's Flag is: United States Chicago, IL

Interesting...

I'm not really looking to get any of my CE's praised any time soon but I'm still intrigued by this.

I agree that I've always found it shady that there is just VGA. No other organization to my knowledge to compare your VGA graded game with I.E. no means by which to get a 2nd opinion

VGA is in fact a part of a larger conglomerate that offer grading services for a variety of collectibles and memorabilia. Every time they open a new grading authority, it just makes me think they are solely in it for money.

Regardless, I am more curious to hear what alternatives you would suggest

Are there any small ragtag bands of VG appraisers worth mentioning?

January Update: Notebooks, Art, AC Items, Press Kits

Spoiler!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Madigan's Flag is: Argentina

I agree with the OP.

It's just a placebo effect for idiots who wants a random number in there nothing more (graded by randoms in a secret location...). I often see guys grading cracked, dented or damaged box/cases on ebay, just to increase the "value"

VGA is aimed towards resellers not video game collectors.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:08 PM

Unfortunately, there is no current group that rivals the name recognition of VGA - which is truly a shame, as actually the VGA is NOT an actual appraisal group. Appraisal attaches not only a condition (mint, near-mint, etc.) but also a monetary value, not just an arbitrary (and completely self-designed) grading scale. VGA has a great scam. The boxes, the labels, the numeric designation of quality, all that, combine to make it look like it is legit. It's all a smoke-screen.

As for "ragtag bands of VG appraisers" (I do enjoy the phrase) there are no major groups that I know of. Video games are a different breed. Few other things have become so highly collectible in such a short time, so an appraisal society specifically for video games hasn't yet come about. Obviously, profiteers like VGA are making a killing in the vacuum. This will most likely begin as "parlor shops" - trained appraisers building a forum in small businesses, establishing a system of universal ethics in the growing. As for alternatives? Right now, keep your stuff in good shape. An actual society will come about soon enough. I myself have been working on this for some time, and I'm glad there is some interest out there.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM

NaughtyDogJames's Flag is: England Nosey sod

Hmmm. I agree with the grading however they are good for preservation.

My Collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by comaamen86 View Post
platfus and james are so smart they put half the adults here to shame
Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Johnny's Flag is: Europe Portugal

I could do the same in my house for a fraction of the price they ask.
Oh and i would never send my rare and valuable games to some random place to be praised.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 AM

I'm assuming you mean the preservation, Johnny. Yes, as they only grade and box in wrapper games, it can be done easily and cheaply at home. Preserving open and used games is another matter, requiring a bit more finesse, and if, for example you had an open and boxed game like Final Fantasy/Dragon Warrior/Super Metroid/etc. you wanted preserved, that would require care. These games used coated cardboard for their boxes and making sure they are as moisture-free as possible is critical.

If you do get a game appraised, remember this: a legitimate appraiser will NEVER demand secrecy. A game appraisal can take some time (especially if you're having it tested to see if it works), but an honest person will always be willing to be observed.

If anyone were to want a game appraised or to learn how to be an appraiser, I would be more than happy to help. This site, in truth, is a great place to build a legit society of game appraisers, with the huge array of information and passion already present.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM

richy rude's Flag is: Scotland tree house

The whole issue regarding game grading annoys me and is ultimately flawed. Depending on who 'grades' your game you could see a big increase or decrease in value.
But not only that, who's to say what the actual contents are like inside the sealed game??? I've bought brand new sealed games before (but i should just clarify NOT VGA graded) and the instruction manual had been creased. This has been on sealed xbox games with the xbox certificate of authenticity still intact. And I've had this before on retro games like on the nintendo 64. I know video game retailers can reseal games but these were brand new (And you can tell if a box has been opened before as the flush fit isnt the same and usually has a small crease due to being opened already).

Anyway I'm talking too much lol. But seriously I like the idea but it's ultimately flawed as you're paying a huge premium for something that you don't know what you're going to get inside. Like a box of chocolates really.... expensive chocolates at that
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Vlad's Flag is: Scotland Glasgow, Scotland

Y'know, we could probably do it pretty well as a community - it might work a bit like the 'What's the value of' thread, maybe a new subforum.

We're all of different regions and backgrounds so it would be a good mix of opinions and we're all big collectors, so we'd know what to look for and values and I imagine quite a few of us are into comics, you could use the same kind of system as them.

The trouble would be that we'd have to do it from pictures, videos and detailed descriptions so it would be more for a personal thing rather than having a label to use as a sale tool, no matter how meaningless that is.

Of course, if it really took off and you could make money for the site and possibly even a commission thing if it became massive folk could send stuff to an approved representative for a certain region then you could send it back boxed with a more official grading and with a bigger charge.
That brings up the bigger question of how to pick representatives but I'm just thinking out loud and just now the community is that nice size where everybody I've come across so far is friendly and it's a really nice atmosphere so I don't know if it would be a terribly huge issue now rather than if we had tons of folk that were all isolated from one another.