PDA

View Full Version : Quick Sega Saturn game case question

MortalMonday
02-11-2013, 12:40 AM
I just snagged my first ever Sega Saturn system. I'm thinking of buying Panzer Dragoon Saga. There's a listing for a copy right now with mint discs but banged up game case. It has scuffs, scratches, and a crack along the spine too. Do you think it would be easy to replace the bad game case with a fresher case. Now Saga comes with 4 discs I believe, so I'm not sure if that would make it harder to find an appropriate replacement case. Maybe I can just put the interior guts of the bad case (the parts that hold all the discs), inside a replacemt case? Is that possible? I've never even held a Saturn game case, that's why I ask.

Also anyone know what the battery inside the system is all about?

geralds
02-11-2013, 03:34 AM
The game cases are not even worth replacing the brake way to easy even with slight handleing. There the same with sega CD though big cases ar just a pain. As for the battery i think its just used to help with the internal saving and system clock easy to replace if you need it replaced.

Matt16
02-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Geralds right about the cases being crap but they can just be replaced if needed. PDS comes with a card outer case as well though which you are unlikely to be able to replace.

The battery was the worst idea for a backup system I can remember. It's used for system settings etc but also for your save games. So you take it out you lose all save data. I'd recommend buying a backup RAM cart which can also be used to save your games and not use the internal memory.

Biggav4000
02-11-2013, 11:21 AM
The single CR2032 to hold game saves, language settings and the calendar,
I also have a official sega memory cart for sale,I will also to see if a have a spare game case with room for 4 discs as like geralds said the game cases are crap i am currently selling all my sega saturn stuff :(

Dreamcazman
02-11-2013, 11:32 AM
I can't comment on what the US saturn cases are like as I only owned PAL versions, which were black plastic with cardboard on the outside. The glue would let go after a while which made them equally crap, but in a different way. :lol: I've gotten rid of most of my Saturn stuff, only kept 2-3 of my favourite games + the console.

The US Saturn cases can't be any worse than the PAL Dreamcast cases, you just had to look at them and they would break!

I agree the battery was either a silly idea or a smart idea, it forced people (like myself) to buy the cartridge otherwise you'd lose all your save data. I guess the reason Sega did it was to save money, flash memory was worth a fortune back in 1995.

MortalMonday
02-12-2013, 02:55 AM
The slot on the back of the system, can someone explain everything it's used for please. I've read that the slot allows for the system to play imports, but I haven't read anything about how that would work exactly.

Again, I know next to nothing about this console, so all info is appreciated. Thanks for all the answers to this point by the way,

Dreamcazman
02-12-2013, 06:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_saturn
Have a read. :)

The cartridge slot was used primarily for the backup memory & the 4Mb carts. The 4Mb cart basically gave some games extra RAM otherwise they wouldn't work.

Biggav4000
02-12-2013, 06:23 AM
This is all you need to play imports mortal does pretty much everything for the saturn
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Saturn-Action-Replay-Plus-with-4M-memory-expansion-/110906167611?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item19d285d13b :thumb:

geralds
02-12-2013, 07:33 AM
This is all you need to play imports mortal does pretty much everything for the saturn
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Saturn-Action-Replay-Plus-with-4M-memory-expansion-/110906167611?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item19d285d13b :thumb:

Just so you know it will not allow 100% of imports to play. The only imports your unable to play are the ones that require the ram cart to work which are all Japanese. So you if you owned a Japanese Saturn one of those would let you play 100% of all the games out there.

MortalMonday
02-12-2013, 08:01 AM
You're saying that a Japanese Saturn coupled with one of those Action Replay carts will play all games from all regions? Would a Japanese Saturn work here in the US? Would I just need a power outlet converter?

geralds
02-14-2013, 04:57 PM
A Japanese saturn will play 100% of all saturn games from any region with an action replay. As far as iv seen a only Japanese saturn games require the ram cart. Games like Xmen vs street Fighter is 1 example all of them are Japanese exclusive and are arcade ports. You also do not need a power converter ether.