PDA

View Full Version : How to start with CE

CrossSleet
03-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Hi there,
i have questions about starting my own collection. What should i do and shouldn't.
I always feelt like a gamer of sort but being young/not having money etc. made me rather PC player with piracy copies than original ones.
Now i can live by myself and started being true gamer like 3 years ago.
Now i have Nintendo Wii, PS3, PS4 and Xbox360 and nice collection of games. But they're just games. Standard copies, unpacked and all. For awhile im wondering about doing nice stuff with this but i have some problems.
First is, i want only games i like in my collection. Didn't like Skyrim so i sold it. Problem is- how can i buy CE for game i don't know i like? But if i buy standard copy and like it then i feel like buing CE is waste of money.
Should i sell standard copies of my games and buy CE instead? Like for Dark Souls, Fable or Dragon Age?
Next is- i only considered CE of games but i see many people buy not only that but other items of the franchise like press kit's, figures (not from game dev) and all. Should i do it too?
My only CE now is Naruto 3 True Despair and i like the feeling of figures and other stuff. Dunno what should i do ;)
Next - what about CE with great stuff but not in my country? Like: Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is great in US edition but poor in EU, should i get US? More problem are great jap editions (i love Dragon;s Dogma jap watch) but i won't ever play this editon of game (due to region restriction of xbox360 and all). Should i abadon the idea?

SwiftDeath
03-09-2014, 08:13 PM
GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN! MADNESS AWAITS THOSE WHO VENTURE HERE!

I'm just kidding. Well kind of. Collecting can be very overwhelming when you first undertake it.

The most important aspects in the beginning are as you suggested deciding what you do and don't collect.

I would suggest trying to focus your collecting on no more than 3 franchises you like assuming you have some game franchises you really love. If not, then just focus on CE's or figures or steelbooks etc.

Trying to get everything will drive you nuts :nosleep:

Trust me I know :)

comaamen86
03-09-2014, 08:36 PM
always get the call of duty ce each year they hold and increase in value

if you can pick up a pes steel on ebay its a rare find dont miss out

stay away from mirrors edge steels you pay high and they are not rare

always bid more than its worth that way you can sell it for more

whenever buying a ce buy an orange at the same time, it keeps you human

on the forum

stay away from mags, she is like a poor mans mrs robinson, and will call you mean if you ask for oleg

advocate a general dislike for pugs

if you see another forumer is bidding on an item on ebay, share the link openly

Dan
03-10-2014, 01:29 AM
always get the call of duty ce each year they hold and increase in value

if you can pick up a pes steel on ebay its a rare find dont miss out

stay away from mirrors edge steels you pay high and they are not rare

always bid more than its worth that way you can sell it for more

This is how I collect :)

underfox
03-10-2014, 05:28 AM

This one cracked me up:lmao:

on the forum

if you see another forumer is bidding on an item on ebay, share the link openly

Yea this is the attidude here on this forum, do that and you can be sure people here will do the same for you later on the road.

Hell, some people even proposed themself to help me out just because, they could.... and that, even though it would give them extra work.

http://memecrunch.com/image/51ea782fafa96f073d000037.jpg?w=208
Follow the minion eye direction ;)

I speak from my own personnal experience.

usiris
03-10-2014, 05:56 AM
First is, i want only games i like in my collection. Didn't like Skyrim so i sold it. Problem is- how can i buy CE for game i don't know i like? But if i buy standard copy and like it then i feel like buing CE is waste of money.
Should i sell standard copies of my games and buy CE instead? Like for Dark Souls, Fable or Dragon Age?

Dont buy them. Collecting every game that come out isnt mandatory, collect games you want to collect. I couldnt care less about titanfall so I'm skipping over everything related to it. I wold rather put that money into franchise I like.

AlexFlynn
03-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Don't buy CEs from games you don't like. Why should anyone do this?

I don't like Assassins Creed (:tomato:) although they have some really nice CEs. But I save that money for the CEs I really enjoy unpacking, watching and play with.

CrossSleet
03-10-2014, 01:56 PM
I didn't even think about buying items to sell them for more money later, can you do this?
Anyway, thanks for replies. It's still big problem for me. For startes i was thinking just about buying nice CE for games i think i like (Tales of Symphonia, Dark Souls etc.) but now because of this forum i see people are focused on all franchise... i don't think i like litographs or arts or items like that (figures and artbooks maybe).
Does collection with only games (standard and CE) counts? Even if it's not rare presskits or figures.
Today i preordered Dark Souls 2 black armour edition with steelbook (didn't want figure because i think its ugly...)- does it counts ?;)

(offtop) I really want Bishoujo Liara and Femshep from ME series but dont see this anywhere....
Generally i wanted to focus on gameroom (my wife is a gamer too) because we have 4 consoles and 2 tv but no comfortable place but i think CE are nice too.

underfox
03-10-2014, 02:06 PM
If you want to collect standard edition only it obviously count as collecting games too think about it has a your personal game library , there is no rules when collecting games.

I for exemple, only buy collectors with " artbooks " in it. If it's a game I like but doesn't come with an artbook, I tend to skip it because I'm not fond of figures.

But other peoples will only buy it if it is numbered, or if it comes with a figure or just because they want to have a complete collection of the franchise.

there really is no rules, if you want to collect normal edition games, it's your choice and that doesn't make you less of a collector than anybody else.

CrossSleet
03-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Is it even possible to have ''complete'' collection of the franchise? Assassin's Creed looks like endless.

GameTrigger
03-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Is it even possible to have ''complete'' collection of the franchise? Assassin's Creed looks like endless.
I collect Final Fantasy stuff and it's like black hole ;)

underfox
03-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Hehe true gametrigger. When I started collecting FF I told my self " NUMBERED FF ONLY "
That helped quite a bunch, but I still bought FF dirge of cerberus, duodecime and a few other non nmbered game taht I liked. There is only 1 FF in my collection that I don't like.... FF X-2.

CrossSleet
03-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Then next question. Im from Poland and this country lack many of collector items.
Where can i get information about ''numbered'' editions? The last i heard of was Tales of Symphonia Chronicles but no information if it's just US edition or EU too.
Second- press kits, never heard of them aviable for normal customers.

Figures and other franchise ok, collector editions of games ok but where to look for numbered and presskits?

amb6883
03-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Then next question. Im from Poland and this country lack many of collector items.
Where can i get information about ''numbered'' editions? The last i heard of was Tales of Symphonia Chronicles but no information if it's just US edition or EU too.
Second- press kits, never heard of them aviable for normal customers.

Figures and other franchise ok, collector editions of games ok but where to look for numbered and presskits?

http://collectorsedition.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11 or Ebay

Deathhound
03-10-2014, 05:38 PM
It is hard to get every possible thing of a franchise. I know I still need a lot in my BioShock Collection.

There is too much out there, lol

CrossSleet
03-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks a lot for all answers.
I enjoy the forum and will stick to it. I still don't know if im material for hardcore collector.
For now i have to make my own gameroom and slowly build game collection.
I'd like to show pictures of my games but i don't know if its something to look at if i only own standard copies and standard consoles ;)

Last question if you dont mind: Steelbooks for games - do you buy game versions with steelbooks in (like Dark Souls 2 Black Armour Edition with steelbook case) or do you look for separate steelbooks and if yes then where to look for them?

Sadly i don't own any steelbook version....bough Devil May Cry 4 edition with steelbook but it come as standard copy...

ceaddiction1228
03-10-2014, 07:31 PM
You dont need to be a hardcore collector. Check out my collection. Its small but its mine and I wont complain. I will have an update on it soon too. Mostly I collect stuff I like in the US. I generally dont go for foreign things but there are exceptions. Any collection can be complete if you want it to be. There is too much memorabilia out there for any franchise for you to have this so called "complete" collection. Also look out on here, people export and keep you aware of all CE no matter the country and will help you get it. You dont have to get everything just get the things you like. If you arent sure then rent the game and play it first or re-think the purchase. Just because everyone else is buying it doesnt mean you will like it. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

CrossSleet
03-10-2014, 07:36 PM
I seen your's looks nice. When my collection grow i'll for sure post it on forum.
My bad is that every nice CE in my country is not aviable and mega expensive.

ceaddiction1228
03-10-2014, 07:38 PM
I seen your's looks nice. When my collection grow i'll for sure post it on forum.
My bad is that every nice CE in my country is not aviable and mega expensive.

If its ps3 stuff get it from another country. If xbox then im sorry. Thank you for your kind words and I will be looking forward to seeing your pictures ;)

CrossSleet
03-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Yeah but currency exchange in my country is like badass.
If something is for 80 eur then if you do exchange then it's like 120eur now ;)

ceaddiction1228
03-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Yeah but currency exchange in my country is like badass.
If something is for 80 eur then if you do exchange then it's like 120eur now ;)

Eww lol

GameTrigger
03-10-2014, 08:35 PM
There is some members from Poland - maybe you got some tips from them ;)

ceaddiction1228
03-10-2014, 08:49 PM
There is some members from Poland - maybe you got some tips from them ;)

:thumb: I was just going to advise this

JRPGFan
03-11-2014, 07:28 AM
By buying your first collector's edition! See what I did there? :P

I like collector's editions when they make the items from the game into real form. Ni No Kuni / Wizard Companion, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky / Emblem Pin, Dark Souls II / Miniature Weapon Set ect.

I would have brought the Wizard Edition just for the book alone.

Matt16
03-11-2014, 10:48 AM
There is only 1 FF in my collection that I don't like.... FF X-2.

You haven't bought FF13 yet?