PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep everything sealed ?

xMike
11-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Hi there :) I am new to the forum and have been looking around here the last hours and I have to admit that its really fascinating to see all these various collections! Its definitly fun to see! :) It also seems like a nice community here. So -

I just started collecting 2 weeks ago. I want to collect everything from TLOU. A week ago my first collectibles arrived..nothing special actually, only the Joel and Ellie collector edition which are/were Amazon IT exclusive and a T shirt box which was a pre-order "bonus" for germany. I opened the T shirt box and was about to open the Joel collector edition thing, but then I thought that if I keep them close, they might rise in value. I have seen quite a few Joel CEs but not many Ellie CEs, so I want to keep this sealed definitely. However, I have seen quite a few collections here where like 95% if not 100% of the stuff is still sealed. I like it as it also looks nice but does it make a big difference? What would you rather do - Keep everything sealed from the beginning or open up everything? Or keep only the very rare things sealed?!

P.S If you got something from TLOU to sell, you can PM me if you ship internationally.

Seesternmann
11-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Hi xMike and welcome to the forum. :welcome:

The 'sealed-thing' again haha. ^^
In my opinion that only belongs to what sort of collector you want to be. You're right, sealed games/CE and all other gaming related things that are somehow rare will rise in value if sealed. So if you plan to sell some of your stuff later you definitely should keep everything sealed.

On the other hand you never will actually see all your stuff when you keep it sealed. You can't play the games, you can't enjoy the goodies from the CE's. And of course it's somehow expensive to buy everything sealed.

So there is no 'right' or 'wrong'. I decided for myself to open my games/CE. But if you're unsure for now it might be right to keep them sealed for now because you can open them any time you want.

xMike
11-05-2014, 06:06 AM
Hi xMike and welcome to the forum. :welcome:

The 'sealed-thing' again haha. ^^
In my opinion that only belongs to what sort of collector you want to be. You're right, sealed games/CE and all other gaming related things that are somehow rare will rise in value if sealed. So if you plan to sell some of your stuff later you definitely should keep everything sealed.

On the other hand you never will actually see all your stuff when you keep it sealed. You can't play the games, you can't enjoy the goodies from the CE's. And of course it's somehow expensive to buy everything sealed.

So there is no 'right' or 'wrong'. I decided for myself to open my games/CE. But if you're unsure for now it might be right to keep them sealed for now because you can open them any time you want.

I am not sure if I sell something later on but yeah, the thing that bothers me the most is that I cant enjoy the goodies :p

Yeah, maybe I should keep them sealed for now.. Thanks for your advice :)

Twisted
11-05-2014, 06:20 AM
I am a sealed collector as well..i don't do it with the mindset that I will sell and make money down the road..i do it, because I enjoy the feeling of it being "brand new" each time I look at it..i just like that "fresh from the store" feeling :D..if there is such a thing..i also don't like how sometimes if you open the package..the seal permanently damages the box, leaving sticker residue or small tear marks to the flaps etc...again, collecting especially the international editions are expensive, so I like to keep things mint as possible..and for me..it means sealed.

xMike
11-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Yes, i know exactly what you mean :D many sealed things next to each looks even better :D
So you keep EVERYTHING for the collection you get sealed?

JRPGFan
11-05-2014, 07:20 AM
I am a sealed collector as well..i don't do it with the mindset that I will sell and make money down the road..i do it, because I enjoy the feeling of it being "brand new" each time I look at it..i just like that "fresh from the store" feeling :D..if there is such a thing..i also don't like how sometimes if you open the package..the seal permanently damages the box, leaving sticker residue or small tear marks to the flaps etc...again, collecting especially the international editions are expensive, so I like to keep things mint as possible..and for me..it means sealed.

This I will never understand... as most people want to experience the game and goodies inside (Art Book and Soundtrack for exp.) UNLESS IT'S SUPER RARE/opening it doesn't really make it cooler, like a pack of cards (Promo pack, always the same cards) you know what's inside but the booster pack is SOOOOOOOOOOOO limited it makes it cooler to keep it sealed or a display piece where it makes sense to keep it sealed (like a standee if it's sealed in clear plastic, where you can display it and it will always be in top condition).

xMike
11-05-2014, 07:26 AM
This I will never understand... as most people want to experience the game and goodies inside (Art Book and Soundtrack for exp.) UNLESS IT'S SUPER RARE/opening it doesn't really make it cooler, like a pack of cards (Promo pack, always the same cards) you know what's inside but the booster pack is SOOOOOOOOOOOO limited it makes it cooler to keep it sealed or a display piece where it makes sense to keep it sealed (like a standee if it's sealed in clear plastic, where you can display it and it will always be in top condition).

Ive done it with a yugioh booster which was only released in Japan :D

The goodies would be a reason for me to open the stuff up but i unterstand the 'new' feeling thing.
Well i would open some super rare stuff as well (like the pandemic edition of tlou) because i want to place the Statue somewhere here..Even though i think if i get it sealed ill think twice about opening it because of its worth

JRPGFan
11-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Ive done it with a yugioh booster which was only released in Japan :D

The goodies would be a reason for me to open the stuff up but i unterstand the 'new' feeling thing.
Well i would open some super rare stuff as well (like the pandemic edition of tlou) because i want to place the Statue somewhere here..Even though i think if i get it sealed ill think twice about opening it because of its worth

I would open it, find a nice display cabinet from IKEA and display it with a background (that comes from the box? I don't collect TLOU stuff or even interested with the game to begin with.) Honestly... if you NEVER play to sell it, why keep CE with goodies sealed. You BET I'm gonna open that Ni No Kuni: Wizard Edition so I can enjoy that gorgeous Book inside... why buy a CE and not open it and screw someone else over who wants to open it? (Unless it's 1k+ on ebay, you're a true fan if you DO open it :P)

xMike
11-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Yeah it has a Background with it and thats what I want to do. Some Nice lightning to it and it will look great. ^^

What do you collect?

singer07
11-05-2014, 07:36 AM
buy 2, case closed. :)

xMike
11-05-2014, 07:38 AM
2x the pandemic edition? That would be expensive :D

JRPGFan
11-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Yeah it has a Background with it and thats what I want to do. Some Nice lightning to it and it will look great. ^^

What do you collect?

You can tell by my name... All will be revealed by the 18th of November!

Most are limited 1 per person, to try and not stop other people who want to open it and enjoy.

xMike
11-05-2014, 07:41 AM
RPG :p i dont know what the J Stands for :o

singer07
11-05-2014, 07:47 AM

Most are limited 1 per person, to try and not stop other people who want to open it and enjoy.

obviously things of that rarity you wouldnt open. also whats on the 18th?

JRPGFan
11-05-2014, 07:54 AM
RPG :p i dont know what the J Stands for :o

J is for Japanese.

obviously things of that rarity you wouldnt open. also whats on the 18th?

1 year on the forums and I show off my collection :D

Iwatasan
11-05-2014, 08:12 AM
That's what I do. Both sides of this "to unseal or not to unseal" debate have valid points. If you can afford to buy 2, there's no need to pick a side. Keep one sealed for the best resale value and that "fresh from the store" factor; open one to enjoy the contents!
Most are limited 1 per person, to try and not stop other people who want to open it and enjoy.Makes it even better when you can get two copies despite the limitation. If collecting were too easy it wouldn't be very fun. ;)

xMike
11-05-2014, 08:15 AM
That's what I do. Both sides of this "to unseal or not to unseal" debate have valid points. If you can afford to buy 2, there's no need to pick a side. Keep one sealed for the best resale value and that "fresh from the store" factor; open one to enjoy the contents!
Makes it even better when you can get two copies despite the limitation. If collecting were too easy it wouldn't be very fun. ;)
I could afford it but I would take something i dont have in my collection over a thing i already have so Id do this when i have the most stuff already.

Iwatasan
11-05-2014, 08:26 AM
If you only collect one franchise (like TLoU), it's definitely a do-able strategy. If you undertake it, it's probably best to buy the stuff most likely to increase in value first (before it becomes prohibitively expensive to buy sealed), and work your way down to the most common stuff that is least likely to increase in value (or that is likely to decrease in value so you can get it cheaper later compared to buying it new now).

I can definitely understand the desire to diversify your collection though, especially since you're just starting out. What kind of merch are you after? And what regions?

AlexFlynn
11-05-2014, 09:53 AM
I'm twisted with that sealed stuff.

If it comes for consoles, I can't understand why anyone would keep them sealed. There's nothing better than open a new package and peal of the plastic film (slowly, very very slowly). But I don't think about selling them anyway.

If it comes to games or special editions: well, I open them if I want to keep them. I can't imagine anything more boring than having a sealed box on the shelf without ever knowing how the stuff inside really looks.
I have two sealed CEs right now (Zelda) because I don't plan to play them anytime. I have a sealed Bayonetta because I don't had the time to open it. The same with some games. I open them when I want to play them so they are sealed right now. But I would never ever pay a huge amount of money only to own a box where the only time I see the content is on the picture on the outside of the box :nono:

Just my opinion. :surrender:

xMike
11-05-2014, 01:34 PM
If you only collect one franchise (like TLoU), it's definitely a do-able strategy. If you undertake it, it's probably best to buy the stuff most likely to increase in value first (before it becomes prohibitively expensive to buy sealed), and work your way down to the most common stuff that is least likely to increase in value (or that is likely to decrease in value so you can get it cheaper later compared to buying it new now).

I can definitely understand the desire to diversify your collection though, especially since you're just starting out. What kind of merch are you after? And what regions?

Didnt think of it this way, Sounds like a smart way to do it. I already got some stuff that I will get pretty late like simply a copy of tlou that is sealed (both ps3 and 4) theyre already at 35 Euros or something so. But what I am after atm are these g&b Prints, i saw some of them and i love them! I will get the Ellie Edition for ps3 sometime soon as well because I see that the value goes up and down between 60 and 100 (german amazon / ebay). I already spend quite a lot in the last three days, i ordered the clicker bust and both lithographs, the limited edition comic simply because i want to read it and the press kit.. Next up on the plan is the pandemic edition new / sealed. (Btw, i would get it for like 330 Euros you think thats Alright?!) .. I want to get pretty much everything in as many variations as possible..

I'm twisted with that sealed stuff.

If it comes for consoles, I can't understand why anyone would keep them sealed. There's nothing better than open a new package and peal of the plastic film (slowly, very very slowly). But I don't think about selling them anyway.

If it comes to games or special editions: well, I open them if I want to keep them. I can't imagine anything more boring than having a sealed box on the shelf without ever knowing how the stuff inside really looks.
I have two sealed CEs right now (Zelda) because I don't plan to play them anytime. I have a sealed Bayonetta because I don't had the time to open it. The same with some games. I open them when I want to play them so they are sealed right now. But I would never ever pay a huge amount of money only to own a box where the only time I see the content is on the picture on the outside of the box :nono:

Just my opinion. :surrender:

Damn.. I bought the Ellie and joel collector's Edition and havent open them yet but i would love to though. I force myself to wait until i get the german joel and Ellie Edition so i understand the first comic at least:D said like this,'paying much money only to have it unopened on the shelf) kinda makes me disappointed about me not opening it :o

Ayiu
11-05-2014, 07:29 PM

I couldn't have said it any better :notworthy:

Also I love to believe that no one ever has touched the content or played it and that in a few years everything is still as precious as now.

comaamen86
11-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Open and enjoy if you keeping it sealed may as well print off a picture of it and save money

Dreamcazman
11-05-2014, 10:53 PM
I have both sealed and opened copies of my games, depending how much I love the francise. For example, I have a sealed copy of the Dead Space Ultra edition which cost me a small fortune. I won't open that in case I ever want to sell it (which I doubt). :D

I also have sealed copies of Demon's Souls Deluxe, Dark Souls & DS2.

The majority of my CE's I open though and enjoy. I store the box, etc away to keep it as minty fresh as possible. Space is running out though... :facepalm:

Gazereths
11-06-2014, 05:46 AM
The Joel and Ellie editions are the same thing anyway just with a different picture on the canvas wrap, open one keep the other sealed.

I like to keep my stuff sealed if possible, but if it's the only copy of the game I'm ever going to buy I'll open it, I'm not buying a game then never playing it.

If you're looking to maximise the value then of course sealed is the way to go, but it's very hit and miss when trying to guess what will become valuable in the future. Take the Liara T'Soni bishojou statue for example, I had two sealed copies and sold them both for peanuts, now they are selling for upto four times the original price :banghead:

aash-with_2_a's-97
11-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Friend I have been dealing with this conundrum ever since I started collecting a few months ago!

What I do is keep all regular copies and a few limited editions sealed, BUT, I always open any big boxes with figurines and goodies.

In my opinion, the whole point of buying these huge collector's editions and PPEs is for the things inside. If you're not going to open all the figurines and extra content then you've just paid a premium to have a big, heavy box lying around.

I do however keep some steelbooks and relatively small limited editions sealed because of their rarity and they look too damn gorgeous to open. So I would defo keep a joel edition sealed. But something like a PPE!!!?? 99% of the beauty is in the statue so why would you hide it inside the box?

Just my two cents,
Aash

BTW, good luck on the giclees, I'm trying to find some that have been sold out as well. If you have any sealed stuff you want to show off, be sure to also check out sealed game heaven :thumb:

LDR
03-02-2015, 03:07 PM
And you will take a Russian artbuk TLOU? I think it would fit perfectly in your collection

xMike
03-02-2015, 03:08 PM
And you will take a Russian artbuk TLOU? I think it would fit perfectly in your collection
Is it official? Do you have some pictures of it? :)

LDR
03-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Is it official? Do you have some pictures of it? :)

I think so. He came out recently. Costs 900 rubles (~ $ 14). An exact copy artbook comes out in Europe, but only in Russian.

Here's a link to my article about this artbook:

http://vk.com/wall-58694632?q=??????&w=wall-58694632_4656%2Fall

LDR
03-02-2015, 03:26 PM
My cube TLoU

http://s42.radikal.ru/i097/1503/64/f61defd08ed2.jpg

xMike
03-02-2015, 03:42 PM
I think so. He came out recently. Costs 900 rubles (~ $ 14). An exact copy artbook comes out in Europe, but only in Russian.

Here's a link to my article about this artbook:

http://vk.com/wall-58694632?q=??????&w=wall-58694632_4656%2Fall
I already got the english one 4 time (2 big, 2 mini) but Id think Id take it depending on its shape.

As for the cube: it looks like the post pandemic edition :o

LDR
03-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Ahah. All my friends think that this is the post-pandemic edition

xMike
03-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Ahah. All my friends think that this is the post-pandemic edition
What is it really :pp

LDR
03-02-2015, 05:33 PM
This ad cube. Inside it is empty

xMike
03-02-2015, 08:31 PM
This ad cube. Inside it is empty
Would you sell the cube as well?
What condition is the artbook?

LDR
03-03-2015, 02:06 AM
I do not sell my collection

xMike
03-03-2015, 05:51 AM
You asked me if Id be interested in your artbook?!?!? I dont care to be honest but why are you asking if you're not selling anything.

LDR
03-03-2015, 09:42 AM
I mean, you can buy it from other sellers. For example, I could find you a seller artbook

xMike
03-03-2015, 10:16 AM
I mean, you can buy it from other sellers. For example, I could find you a seller artbook
Oh. It sounded like you want to sell them. Sry. Yeah if you know someone who has them, generally russian versions. Isnt there a russian joel and Ellie Edition? I think Ive Seen it once

LDR
03-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Photos from the internet. We have these editions are now very rare. Editions are the same as in Europe, but in Russian

http://s57.radikal.ru/i155/1503/07/9a51012a9896.jpg

xMike
03-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Id still love to get them, so if you find them anywhere for sale, please get Back to me (sealed only or nm condition)