PDA

View Full Version : How do you buy signed stuff with confidence?

Veggz
06-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Hey!

Seen a lot of signed gaming items for sale and I see many on the forum own signed items.
Everytime I see a poster etc. that's signed I'm constantly thinking about the chances of it beeing fake, and therefor always skip it.
I would just sit all day and stare at my newly purchase thinking ''did I just get screwed over.'' :think:

Only signed item I have is Uncharted 3 drakes journal hardcover limited to 500, where I know all the 500 were signed by Nolan

I just wonder how do you buy signed items without having this shitty feeling?
Do you just trust the seller, do you have someone looking at the autograph etc? Thanks in advance! :)

Mike1888
06-08-2016, 08:01 PM
I have a few Kojima-signed items. Generally I try to figure out the event the seller got it signed at (often it will align with their location) and also compare the signature in question to confirmed signatures. I used to use an image that had a timeline of Kojima signatures and showed how it changed over the years - it helps that Kojima dates his signature. Obviously you can never be certain though.

Veggz
06-08-2016, 08:15 PM
I have a few Kojima-signed items. Generally I try to figure out the event the seller got it signed at (often it will align with their location) and also compare the signature in question to confirmed signatures. I used to use an image that had a timeline of Kojima signatures and showed how it changed over the years - it helps that Kojima dates his signature. Obviously you can never be certain though.

That is very smart, thanks! A timeline showing how peoples signatures change sounds really helpful.

I guess it's the part about not beeing certain that holds me back.

Maybe I should just educate myself to be an autograph authentication expert lol

vhal_x
06-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Typically if they have some form of proof of attending an event, or possibly a photo with the person in question, those are the best ways.

Unfortunately, majority of the time it's complete reliance on gut instinct. Sometimes a sig can be easy to spot as fake, other times not so much. Just carefully go over the item, and compare with others. Not much else can be done in some cases, unfortunately xx

Veggz
06-09-2016, 10:27 PM
Typically if they have some form of proof of attending an event, or possibly a photo with the person in question, those are the best ways.

Unfortunately, majority of the time it's complete reliance on gut instinct. Sometimes a sig can be easy to spot as fake, other times not so much. Just carefully go over the item, and compare with others. Not much else can be done in some cases, unfortunately xx

Yeah it would help a lot if seller had a photo with the person!
If I dare to buy something signed I will definitely try to go over the item and compare it with other signatures, thanks!