PDA

View Full Version : Mass effect 3 CE UK packaging comparison and Warning

gurpswoo1
03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
OK so I got copies from a few retailers and I thought I should share my findings on each retailers packaging. There is also a big warning on one of them and I suggest anyone in the UK read the Gamestop UK part.

Anyway so lets start off with Amazon.co.uk, It's a well know fact that Amazon has been one of the better ones out there, in terms of items arriving in the best condition.

I received one X360 and one PS3 CE in a box, it was packed well with brown paper in all gaps, although it was not in the centre of box so any impact from the side would cause problems.

Worst is that the X360 copy was on top of the PS3 copy, this mean't that the PS3 copy has crease marks from being crushed by the heavy X360 copy on top. It will go back for replacement. The X360 is fine except there are scrape marks on the cellophane seal . The PS3 copy does not have these marks.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7177/amazonu.jpg

---------------------

Play.com

Play.com has quite possibly the worst reputation in terms of packaging, I had hoped that they their recent takeover by the Rakuten Group would change the way they deal with Collector's Edition. Sadly they are still the same, they sent the game in a jiffy bag. I was seriously lucky when they arrived in near mint condition, however those overseas are unlikely to get them in good condition.

More worryingly, the Collector's Edition has the exact same scrape marks on the seal. Again this is a X360 copy, could this be a manufacturing problem.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6971/playwj.jpg

---------------------

Shopto.net

Shopto are hit and miss at the best of times, however I was told by another member here that you can pay an extra £6 for a box and a courier service. So I manage to get both options from two friends here. The free delivery options came in today but it was sent in a just a jiffy bag, there is edge and side damage, which is what you expect. So overseas buyers this is unlikely to get to you in mint condition.

The courier option did indeed come a box but is a very hard to see where the extra £6 is going. All they did was place the jiffy bag in a box side ways. That's it, it still arrived the same day. It did arrive in mint condition but again the same scrape marks on the seal, not as bad as Amazon and Play.com but still visible.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9400/shoptpoor.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9241/shoptgood.jpg

---------------------

Sainsburys

I have never ordered from Sainsburys before, mainly because I expected them to be like Tesco and Asda. Anyone who has ordered from them before will know how bad those two are.

However to my surprise Sainsbury is the clear winner here, they used an oversize box so any damage to the sides will not effect the game inside. Secondly the side walls overlap so are reinforced. Lastly they use a shrink wrap to hold the game in place. preventing it from sliding around. The best part is that there are no scrape marks on seal, 100% mint. Big Kudos points should go to Sainsburys on their packaging. :1:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7417/sainsbury1.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2166/sainsbury2.jpg

---------------------

Gamestop UK - Warning to UK buyers

If Sainsbury represent the best of this group, Gamestop UK represent the bad, when I say bad I mean worst.

Firstly the packaging, I paid an extra £5.50 for the courier option which I had hoped would mean a box or better protection. This was not the case, they used a jiffy bag and an oversized one at that. The result of an oversized jiffy bag is that the game is free to move about and so causes even more damage, even when it's in the delivery van waiting to be delivered.

You guys have likely already figured out that it arrived damaged, it has crush marks and again the weird scrape marks, however the damage is not the worst part of ordering from Gamestop UK.

When I opened the jiffy bag, I was amazed that the game was a not a UK BBFC version but a Euro PEGI version. Likely the Ireland one, after investigating the Gamestop UK website I found evidence to prove this. The website support and order enquires are from Ireland. Checking the Gamestop Ireland website also confirms they have the same items in stock as the UK one.

EDIT: Also the PEGI version is Shrink Wrapped sealed compared to the UK BBFC which is Cellophane Sealed. Thanks Richm for reminding me.

If any of you guys care about which version you keep and have ordered from the Gamestop UK website, please check your copy immediately even if it is opened.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3810/gamestopuk1.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8450/gamestopuk2.jpg

----------------------

I hope the above information is useful, especially to new members who have yet to experience the good and bad of ordering Collector's edition from these retailers.

Those of you who have ordered this edition from other retailers please let us know your experiences.

Gee :beach:

Madigan
03-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks gee for the info :thumb:

It's good to know, especially for international buyers. I'm going to avoid ShopTo at all cost.

This was my fear, "the jiffy bag of death". 3 of 5 retailer packed it like that :suicide:

EDIT: A mod should sticky this and change the title to "Retailers: packaging comparison" or something like that.

driv3r
03-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Excellent review!
Sainsbury has some excellent packaging!! :O

gurpswoo1
03-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys,

Yeah I was surprised by Sainsbury's, Have to give it them. They prove me wrong.

I was also expecting a copy from HMV aswell. Guess it's not coming on release day.

I have also been told by a few other members that ASDA has a reach a new low point. As soon as I get more info I will update.

vhal_x
03-09-2012, 05:18 PM
I ordered from ShopTo after tonnes of people telling me they were brilliant :facepalm: xx

Matrix6
03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks G, you hit the 'spot' ;)
I shall report on my order once it has arrived. Shopto sent mine.

oXdanXo
03-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Damn I cancelled from Sainsburys and ordered at gamestop to save £3, if it comes and it's PEGI, they're getting it back with a strongly worded e-mail :)
I'm already P****d with them now and they haven't done anything yet.

gu8
03-09-2012, 05:29 PM
my xbox version from gamestop.ie was pegi, the ps3 version was bbfc

ferrari100
03-09-2012, 06:28 PM
I got three ce's from Gamestop and they were bbfc

gurpswoo1
03-09-2012, 06:29 PM
my xbox version from gamestop.ie was pegi, the ps3 version was bbfc

This is making no sense at all, think I will contact them directly for comment.

ferrari100
03-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I got three ce's from Gamestop and they were bbfc

sorry these were xbox versions.

Seems to me both uk and ie share the same warehouse and weren't bothered who gets which rating.

Although, in legal terms, they probably should of thought about it a little more.

Sazzle15
03-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Got delivered 1 from asda - large jiffy bag but came mint, 1 from zavvi.com in a box again mint condition, was worried about these 2 but luckily they were great as my amazon CE guide

gurpswoo1
03-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Not happy with this jiffy bag rubbish.

gu8
03-09-2012, 07:36 PM
not for heavy CEs mate, no way

Pielord
03-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Why does the rating really matter?
I'm just happy I finally have ME3!

gurpswoo1
03-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Agree that there is no different in the game.

However for many collector's, having the right version that was released in your country makes a huge difference.

As a sealed UK collector I take which version I get very seriously, The BBFC certificate has and will likely always be the most important aspect of my collection.

I know is has little difference to the game experience itself in the same way that the US or Australian version can all be played on my console. But it's not the point, I want the version that was sold in this country.

Lastly the UK version has historically been more desirable than other PAL releases and you shouldn't get a version intended for a different market if you pre-ordered the game. It's just wrong.

nipperkipper
03-09-2012, 08:56 PM
How many copies did you order lol? Was it to ensure you got one mint?

Anyway, i ordered single copies each from Gamestop, amazon, zavvi, hmv and play

Amazon came in snug fit cardboard wrap - damaged (creases)
Gamestop - Jiffy and damaged very bad (bbfc version though)
Zavvi - Cardboard wrap around - no damage but scrape marks (WTF?)
Play - Jiffy - badly damaged
HMV - Unknown as didnt arrive

So to conclude - best copy frpm Zavvi:scratch:
3 out of 4 damaged so far

gurpswoo1
03-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Ouch that really is bad Nipper

I order 2 copies each from Amazon but they cancelled to one. So I rushed to get another and I saw Sainsbury had one. But then Gamestop got them back in so I ordered from them.
I thought I cancelled the Sainsburys one but guess I didn't. Good job I didn't.

I ordered the HMV and Play ones afterwards for friends but for some reason the HMV one hasn't turned up.

You got the scrape marks also and from a store I didn't order, anyone else get these scrape marks.

nipperkipper
03-09-2012, 09:32 PM
The scrape marks must be a production fault - they seem too uniform in length to be due to the retailers/storage or handling

gurpswoo1
03-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I thought as much, I'm glad I got a mint copy from Sainsburys without these marks.

This defect is going to make mint copies very valuable indeed.

Pielord
03-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Well mine is BBFC but i don't plan to sell and got mine from gamestop some creasing but it doesn't bother me that much as it's my own personal collection and i got it for £50 rather than £70

oXdanXo
03-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Let me know what they say please Gurps? I hope I'm in the same boat as Ferrari

gurpswoo1
03-09-2012, 10:24 PM
No problem will update thread once they reply. I also message them on Twitter for a PR response.

RyT
03-10-2012, 01:48 AM
HMV used to do what Sainsburys does before.. but they are also a hit and miss.. I received my ninja gaiden 2 CE like Sainsburys but my FFXIII in a jffiy bag so -.-

Lemur
03-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Umm so PEGI is bad? I thought the whole of Europe uses that?
Germany usually has PEGI or USK versions as well. I always found the PEGI ones looked way better.

Johnny
03-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Now i have a little more faith in zavvi lol.

RyT
03-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Umm so PEGI is bad? I thought the whole of Europe uses that?
Germany usually has PEGI or USK versions as well. I always found the PEGI ones looked way better.

not bad.. just collector's prefer items that are produced locally (in my case no lol as AU ratings are big and ugly :D)

I do find PEGI ratings look good than the BBFC.. Truthfully I always thought NTSC ones are the ones highly sought after, but apparently, as long as it's EU version, it costs more.. a) cause it has multiple language option, b) more countries uses PAL (for wii, 3DS and some of xbox360).

But then again not saying NTSC versions are not worth it, if it's exclusive, it's worth more as well

Twisted
03-10-2012, 05:42 AM
i'm a little confused...is the Mass Effect 3 UK packaging IDENTICAL to Australia?..or is australian packaging DIFFERENT??...this is important to me, can someone please clarify?..(i'm looking for the PS3 "squared" packaging version)

RyT
03-10-2012, 05:49 AM
i'm a little confused...is the Mass Effect 3 UK packaging IDENTICAL to Australia?..or is australian packaging DIFFERENT??...this is important to me, can someone please clarify?..(i'm looking for the PS3 "squared" packaging version)

PS3 versions for UK/EU/AU releases are squared.. just saw one in store just now.. squared as well.. Apparently for UK versions their CE are cellophane sealed.. EU with PEGI ratings and AU I think versions are shrinkwrap.

oXdanXo
03-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm ordering one from Sainsburys now as I've opened my Gamestop order to see a PEGI logo :( Argggggggggggggggggggh.

Gazereths
03-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I got a 360 and a PS3 version from Amazon, they arrived in separate snug fitting cardboard packages, the 360 version was mint, the ps3 version had some slight damage to the seal, only a pull in one corner no tears. I opened that one anyway, got a mint copy from, a gamestore near me.

Fairly happy with Amazon's packing.

gurpswoo1
03-10-2012, 11:43 AM
There is some confusion on the which region has what seal type. So far

The UK BBFC version for Xbox are Cellophane sealed.
The Euro PEGI + ACB + OFLCNZ and USK versions for Xbox are Shrink Wrapped

All PAL PS3 CE are Squared versions and are Shrink Wrapped sealed ( All of Euro + Aus + NZ)

The North American versions for Xbox are sealed with rectangle sticker on side
All the US PS3 versions are the same shape as the Xbox CE but seal is Circle Sticker on side.
Both of them do not have a full game seal like the PAL versions, also they don't have Steelbook, they have Metal-pak.

RyuShinEX
03-11-2012, 06:27 AM
wow, what a mess for PAL region.

oXdanXo
03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Everything will be different, it's just the age rating, for example
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pegi+logo&view=detail&id=124BA404D894734A89141B19DB822A79979871C9&first=0
Top right hand corner is the 18 pegi logo on ME3, replaced that by http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bbfc+logo&view=detail&id=A777CD37AF2ED95A95D2CD22D0E46A280403ACDB&first=0
Thats the only difference between UK and euro PAL releases, other than in the UK anyone could buy an 18 pegi rated ME3 as it's guidance, you'd have to show ID to purchase the 15 BBFC rated version as that is law. In Germany they tend to have the pegi logo shifted on copies and a USK logo either as a sticker over the pegi logo or printed on the box next to the PEGI logo.

No real difference but I'd rather get BBFC logos where available as that is UK Stock and I believe less in comparrison to the whole stock allocation for the EU so might one day be worth more to other collectors. I'd pay a lot of money for a Metal Gear Solid 4 UK PAL Play.com exclusive collector Edition, where I'm trying to sell my EU PEGI rated version.

(I never used to be sooooo OCD)

Johnny
03-11-2012, 04:07 PM
It's settled, if a receive a PEGI i will opened it, if it's a BBFC, i will keep it sealed >:, i can resist the temptation to play the game.

Lemur
03-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Asia version is just scotch tape to hold everything in place. Also it's a metalpak. So I guess Asia got shafted the worst. Lucky I've got a PS3 PAL steelbook on the way to me. I'll just play the Asian copy.

gurpswoo1
03-11-2012, 05:47 PM
So the Asian version is the same as North American NTSC versions.

Lemur
03-12-2012, 06:53 AM
US copies also came with the scotch tape? :blackeye:

vhal_x
03-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I think he means with the metalpak Lemur :) xx

gurpswoo1
03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
US copies also came with the scotch tape? :blackeye:

What do you mean by tape, do you have pictures

Lemur
03-12-2012, 01:18 PM
The metalpak/cardboard package were held in place using just scotch tape to prevent them from falling out of the box. No shrink/plastic wrap.

I don't have pics as I already tore the tape off.

Just imagine your xbox copy after opening the shrink wrap. The contents would slide out. So now you put scotch tape at the opening to hold them all together. That's the load of shit packaging we got :blackeye:

gurpswoo1
03-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Then it the exact same seal as the US NTSC versions

Terrible way to hold the items together,

vhal_x
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
They were sellotaped in? Surely that risks horrible peel marks? xx

Lemur
03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
They were sellotaped in? Surely that risks horrible peel marks? xx

The good thing is they used those crappy scotch tape you can buy in stationery stores. Not too sticky so it came off very cleanly.

vhal_x
03-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Lucky, what an awful way to package something though? What are game manufacturers and retailers thinking these days? :no: xx

twistedsymphony
03-12-2012, 09:57 PM
What do you mean by tape, do you have pictures

pics in the game DB show the method they used to seal.. it's a square sticker over the side, no cellophane or anything.
http://collectorsedition.org/uploads/2011/06/mass_effect_3_n7_collectors_edition_xbox_360_ntsc_ bioware_ea_03.jpg

Lemur
03-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Nope we didn't get that big square sticker. We got the thin office type of scotch tape. 1 small piece on each side to hold 1 item in place.

gurpswoo1
03-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Nope we didn't get that big square sticker. We got the thin office type of scotch tape. 1 small piece on each side to hold 1 item in place.

That really is bad, what's up with the distributors there. I thought it couldn't get any worst than the USA version.

Lemur
03-13-2012, 02:35 PM
That really is bad, what's up with the distributors there. I thiught it couldn't get any worst than the USA version.

Yeah they're pretty much retarded. On the bright side at least we got this free normandy replica for preordering the CE.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/lemurking/DSC00282.jpg

With that extra freebie they probably needed to cut costs somewhere so I guess the scotch tape was their solution. :hammer: