PDA

View Full Version : Game UK in administration - information and help., will update

gurpswoo1
03-26-2012, 04:01 PM
HI guys

I am sure most of you havd heard, The GAME group have decided to go into early Administration, the website is down and displays the following message:

MJA Jervis and SD Maddison have been appointed as Joint Administrators of The GAME Group plc, Game Stores Group Limited, Gameplay (GB) Limited, Game (Stores) Limited, Games Station Limited, Game (Retail) Limited and Gamestation Limited on 26 March 2012, to manage their affairs, business and property as their agents and without personal liability.

We are currently reviewing and processing orders placed on this website.

MJA Jervis and SD Maddison are licensed in the United Kingdom to act as insolvency practitioners by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we hope to be back up and running very soon.

If you require assistance with an existing order our
customer service team are happy to help you.

Please email us directly at
customerservices@game.co.uk

I have been on the phone with a GAME UK customer service rep. Here is all the info I have so:

The website is down for at least 2 days, no new orders will be processed.

The Administrators and GAME UK management will restructure the site and business in the hope they can continue the trade.

Existing pre-orders are currently no longer guarantee until the they restart trading and if the restructuring is successful.

If you are in the process of returning an item then don't expect to be processed and refunded for a while. Also it is likely you will not a see a refund and you should consult your credit card company for advice.

Now for the stores
The stores are no longer getting any stock, if you have placed an order on the website and asked for it to be delivered to the store. Don't expect it to turn up.

All the stores including Gamestation are not taking any pre-orders, if you paid a deposit for a pre-order, the store will not refund you. They did say there maybe an option to get your deposits back, direct from the administrators at a later date. This though is unconfirmed and there is no plan as of yet for this.

If you have Rewards points, gift cards and GAME points cards, they are no longer usable in stores and are currently worthless.

You are also unable to trade in games for cash or credit.

Lastly the stores are still operating as normal in terms of sales, you can purchase current stock but no new stock will come in. If you do buy stock you can not return it, it is sold as seen. This goes for new and used stock.

In terms of prices, the stores are not doing any special sale prices, the current sale is still going though. The reason for this is that the administration want to get as much money as possible from the stocks in stores.

I will update this thread as more information comes in.

For those that want to contact customer service please use the following information:

E-mail: customerservices@game.co.uk
Telephone: 01256 784000

For Branch numbers please use the noto0870 site: http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

Update: Here is a list of stores that have already closed :http://www.computerandvideogames.com/341489/game-gamestation-full-list-of-reported-store-closures/

227 stores have been confirmed closing, one thing that I noticed it that stores with high rent bills i.e in a expensive area are being closed down. while other closure are down to low profits.

Update 28/03/2012 - - GAME customer service has once again confirmed that the site is expected to come back online in a few days.

GAME has also confirmed that stock at the closed stores will be reallocated to stores that are still operating, however there are conflicting reports from GAME mangers that have been told they should sell off a much stock as possible to raise funds. Some have also reportedly been told they will get a £500 bonus for doing so. Not sure what will happen but I'm inclined to go with a bit of both.

Lastly , again no refunds or are taking place.

Cosmic_Link
03-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Looks like I've lost my £9 reward points... lol Ah wellz... Shit happens! :shrug:

Lets see where it goes from here. Hoping for a buy out... Don't want to lose GAME and Gamestation high street store... :sorry:

gurpswoo1
03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Looks like I've lost my £9 reward points... lol Ah wellz... Shit happens! :shrug:

Lets see where it goes from here. Hoping for a buy out... Don't want to lose GAME and Gamestation high street store... :sorry:

One thing is a near certainty, most of the Gamestation stores will be closed. Those that remain will be rebranded to GAME.

flairjen
03-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Was in town today and my local gamestation is closed down

Cosmic_Link
03-26-2012, 06:01 PM
One thing is a near certainty, most of the Gamestation stores will be closed. Those that remain will be rebranded to GAME.

Yeah, I was just listening to the Radio and it was said that 300 stores will be closed and 2000 jobs lost... >.< First thing I thought was they're gonna close all the GS stores... :( Looks like there's gonna be more people down at the job centres. >.<

Atleast it's kind of good news... if they're closing 300 stores, that means that they will hopefully be able to pull back with the remaining ones! :D Fingers crossed! ^o^

Gemini-Phoenix
03-26-2012, 06:02 PM
MCV have been constantly updating a list of all of the GAME and Gamestation stores which have closed down as from today:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/store-closures-begin-at-game-and-gamestation/093365

They also printed a list of all the services which are affected by the administration, including GAME reward cards and gift vouchers:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/game-suspends-reward-and-gift-cards/093368

gurpswoo1
03-26-2012, 06:49 PM
This really is bad news, 277 of the 602 will be closed in the UK. What surprising is that my little town stop is still open while the ones in expensive area i.e large rent bills are closed.

Cosmic_Link
03-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah, the big Gamestation on New Street in Birmingham is closing... >.< That's been there as long as I can remember! I used to love the retro section downstairs! :D Was awesome...

GAME Group ruines that store... :rant:

Tater
03-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Got the call today to say my store has survived for now. Will try and post any information that I can, though MCV have been spot on with most stuff so far, so that's where I would keep looking.

gurpswoo1
03-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Yeah, the big Gamestation on New Street in Birmingham is closing... >.< That's been there as long as I can remember! I used to love the retro section downstairs! :D Was awesome...

GAME Group ruines that store... :rant:

I think I'm right and the ones with large rent bills are closing.

Both the Coventry one in West Orchid and the Leicester ones are closed too, despite the huge amount of people traffic in their locations.

I do know those two were very expensive spaces to rent.

gu8
03-26-2012, 07:12 PM
this is shit, im actually in the process of returning 12 items back to game.co.uk all at a price of 79.99 each!!!

gurpswoo1
03-26-2012, 07:28 PM
this is shit, im actually in the process of returning 12 items back to game.co.uk all at a price of 79.99 each!!!

Wow this news is probably the worst thing for you, make contact with your credit card company quickly for advice, because the onus will be with them to cover GAME debts to you.

gu8
03-26-2012, 07:33 PM
i paid with a debit card mate???

Gemini-Phoenix
03-26-2012, 07:50 PM
MCV has updated their page with a full list of stores which have been affected. Here's the link again:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/store-closures-begin-at-game-and-gamestation/093365

Interestingly, neither the GAME or Gamestation in Ipswich seems to be on the list, which implies that they must be considered high performers. It's just a shame that both stores are tiny. I've seen more spacious Transit vans!

Cosmic_Link
03-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Just looked at the List which Gemini posted again, and it appears that Gee might be right about them closing all the big, high rent stores. They chose to close down the GAME store in Sutton Coldfield whicih is a much bigger store in a prime location and kept the crappy little gamestation open, which is hidden in the deepest darkest corner and sounds like the GAME and Gamestation's in Ipswich...

I've seen more spacious Transit vans!

:haha:

davidw
03-26-2012, 08:03 PM
i paid with a debit card mate???

I think you could be knee deep in the proverbial now...

gu8
03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
surely something can be done, will have to call them tomorrow, see what they say, pricks

gurpswoo1
03-26-2012, 11:10 PM
surely something can be done, will have to call them tomorrow, see what they say, pricks

Ok you may have a serious problem, do the following:

1) Check if you have a Visa debt card in which case you can still do a charge back.

2) If you do not then you need to contact Customer service on the details on the first page. Ask if the refund is already in progress. But here is your problem, administrators keep parts of the business going to get the most money they can. The refund and exchange part of business are always closed forever once administrators take over. So there is a 99% chance of you not getting money back.

3) If it is not then make a claim with the administrators, however expect a long delay before or even if it is returned. Ask for the contact information from customer service. In all case consumers are the last people to get money back, if they do it is usually less than 5p per £1.

4) This is Long shot but you could contact the financial-ombudsman which is free, see here: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/default.htm

That is the best you can do at the moment, sorry I can't be more help but this is way the system works.

Good luck.

Hans v Hube
03-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Many thanks for the list gurpswoo1

I see Reading, Newbury & even Banbury on the list but no Oxford?

In fact Reading have lost 2 stores now & at this time only have a Gamestation.
Knew most of the staff at all 3 sites even out & about outside the shops/always nice people never pushy say like Dixons etc.

Paul

Hans v Hube
03-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Also in the UK we are going to get hit big time by a post charge price hike which could also affect Game, the wish to offer free post on orders when i hope they are back up & running

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17522500

nipperkipper
03-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Ah man i forgot to spend my points:suicide:

davidw
03-28-2012, 11:24 AM
i've never minded paying for postage anyway - in fact i'd normally pay more for a better service via a courier etc as i prefer them to deliver it anyway

gurpswoo1
03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Also in the UK we are going to get hit big time by a post charge price hike which could also affect Game, the wish to offer free post on orders when i hope they are back up & running

Ouch that's a 40%+ increase, This sucks, sending out games will be even more expensive.

Cosmic_Link
03-28-2012, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I heard on the news yesterday! What rip off... -_- Can't even get 2 stamps for a quid now! Robbing fucks!

gurpswoo1
03-28-2012, 05:14 PM
update:

GAME customer service has once again confirmed that the site is expected to come back online in a few days, with what features no one knows.

GAME has also confirmed that stock at the closed stores will be reallocated to stores that are still operating, however there are conflicting reports from GAME mangers that have been told they should sell off a much stock as possible to raise funds. Some have also reportedly been told they will get a £500 bonus for doing so. Not sure what will happen but I'm inclined to go with a bit of both.

Lastly , again no refunds are taking place nor are the reward or gift cards use usable.

gu8
03-28-2012, 07:34 PM
gee thanks for the info regarding my returns mate, didnt even notice you had responded, i will look into it and let you know what happens

vhal_x
03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Game to end administration with RBS buyout!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/341891/game-saved-rbs-to-rescue-retailer-tomorrow-claims-report/

Nick1701
03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Both the stores in the Arndale Centre in Manchester have closed, which is a suprise as I would have thought they would have tried to keep at least one city centre store going. It's a real shame as I had friends in that store, and I did an Assassins creed Cosplay appearence in there. I will miss it.

gurpswoo1
03-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Game to end administration with RBS buyout!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/341891/game-saved-rbs-to-rescue-retailer-tomorrow-claims-report/

If this is true, Gamestop share price will fall as a serious screw up on their part.

Either way this is good news, I presume it will be a different entity though.

vhal_x
03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
At least if it's true we won't lose GAME completely, just hope that they bounce back and become a decent store again xx

Tater
04-01-2012, 07:07 PM
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/official-game-exits-administration/093722

Onwards and upwards as they say.

On a side note, we've got stock in of the new Star Wars Console and Game and reports suggested we wouldn't. The console is stunning.

oXdanXo
04-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Game have just been sold and saved :)

gurpswoo1
04-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Good news for the UK, so happy.

But bad news for Gamestation and the other stores oversea. Hopefully they can find buyers soon.

vhal_x
04-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I thought they bought GAME Group, so both GAME and Gamestation ?

As all 333 of the GAME Group stores that are still open have been saved xx

gurpswoo1
04-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I thought they bought GAME Group, so both GAME and Gamestation ?

As all 333 of the GAME Group stores that are still open have been saved xx

Oh right, for some reason I was under the impression that all the Gamestation stores had been closed.

Tater
04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
All back to normal, gift cards within 24 hours.

Cosmic_Link
04-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Awesoeme! ^o^ This is great news! :D

Likey
04-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Did any of you guys make use of the sales? Post lists of what you bought with how much you paid/saved. :)

I saw stuff like Fifa go for 49p but I didn't buy much in the sale as most of the good stuff were gone.

vhal_x
04-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Didn't really get anything in the sale :shrug: Not like there was much good stuff to be had haha xx

Likey
04-20-2012, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't have minded stocking up on game guides if they were like 1p each. :)

vhal_x
04-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Yeah, they were nowhere near that low here haha, there was a couple of CE guides going for £5 - I actually picked those up (forgot about them haha; Deus Ex and GOW3) and I got the Dead Island book for 48p, not much else to be had though, sadly xx

Cosmic_Link
04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
I got Deus Ex Guide for £5, Dragona Age 2 Paperback guide for 99p and Divinity 2 DKS for £3.98, 2 copies Mass Effect 2 for £5 each... :D

No CE's though... :( Was pretty shit really.

Was in GAME yesterday and thought seeing as they were in the shit recently, I would've thought they'd look at their pricing and EVERYTHING was still really expensive... :S They need to sort themselves out... >.<

vhal_x
04-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Yeah, when I went in a week or two ago, everything was sky high prices.

They had the Tales of Monkey Island CE in there, which I got on the GAME.co.uk website a while back, for £15. In store, they had it for £50. :rotf:

Dicks. xx

joynulk
04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
some things never change

gu8
04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
the only thing i managed to get was 2 x deus ex collectors eds instore for 7.98 each, one was sealed, the other, brand new but unsealed. heard about people getting zelda skyward bundle for 48p etc etc

davidw
04-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Got Space Marine CE for £1.99 on their site - and also Shogun 2 with chess set for £20