Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Display Case > Video Game Collecting

Old 06-09-2012, 12:15 PM

DB5's Flag is: Germany
Default It has to be limited, it has to have a certificate of authenticity, etc.

Okay, I've been hearing guys say that to be called a serious CE collector, you need to value how limited the CE is first and foremost. So, having a CE that comes with only the game and a piece of paper that says you have heaven's luck on your side, because only 500 exist and you have #1; is much more "special" than having, say, a CE that comes with a lot of top-class, high-quality stuff but is produced at 150,000.

I don't get it. Now before you start calling me a cunt or anything, hear me out.

Assume you're a collector who collects because he just likes to. And if a franchise you love is releasing the next game with a CE, then you'll get the CE because you're a fan and you wants nothing but the best. So you don't really care whether or not a CEs limited or not. If the CE is topnotch, then you'll buy it, even if it was produced at 150,000.

So my question now is, assume that you don't plan on selling your CE ever (or for a long time), why should you worry if whether or not your CE is well, limited? The Bioshock 2 SE is still regarded as how a CE should be, and while it's not limited, it's still "special." Even if the price plummeted to a Grant or a Jackson, I believe CEs like the Gears of War 3 EE, the Killzone 3 HE and Bioshock 2 SE were still worth their original MSRPs.

Anyway, I'm not one of those people who call collectors "elitist nerds," that collectors are insecure enough to need a ficticious boost of self-worth by owning some extra crap that are only owned by 499 other insecure losers. I just don't really care about how rare my CE is. If I feel it makes me happy, then I'll buy it, even if the price will be slashed to half in a month. That being said, I'd love to have the Uncharted 2 FHE, but I won't pay $3000 just because it's limited to 200 or something. I'd love to own it because I definitely see the appeal: it's Uncharted, and Uncharted 2 is probably last decade's best game.

So again I ask, without including the thought of resale value or bargain bins, why do you need your CE to be limited or rare just so that you can be happy about it?

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by DB5; 06-09-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:57 PM

thatzeldacollector's Flag is: Wales
Default Re: It has to be limited, it has to have a certificate of authenticity, etc.

For me it just has to say 'collectors edition' or 'limited edition' on it. The difference in the box alone and the extras you get compared to the standard edition is enough for me. Numbered items are just that extra bit special but even then it makes no odds what number I have. There are very few Zelda items that are known to be literally limited in number even if it says so on the box so that's the only way I've ever known.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:13 PM

toxicatom5's Flag is: United States
Default Re: It has to be limited, it has to have a certificate of authenticity, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB5 View Post
I've been hearing guys say that to be called a serious CE collector, you need to value how limited the CE is first and foremost.
To me what defines a "serious" collector is more about dedication than anything else. Anyone who puts in the time and effort to learn about items that are available, and to build a collection that fits their particular collecting habits (regardless of value) is a "serious" collector.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Cosmic_Link's Flag is: England Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB5 View Post
So again I ask, without including the thought of resale value or bargain bins, why do you need your CE to be limited or rare just so that you can be happy about it?
I read the whole post, but this is the main issue. The main reason I prefer that CE's are limited and numbered is not so much for the resale value, it's that I don't want them to plummet to unbelievably stupid prices within weeks of buying it. Just makes me feel ripped off! >.<

If I know a CE is REALLY limited, I know the chances of it dropping in price are low, so I will pick it up at launch, otherwise I will wait it out for a potential price drop. Collecting Video game CEs is an expensive hobby as we all know, so if I can save cash somewhere, I will!

Most of the CE's I have are pretty run of the mill and aren't as limited as the more expensive ones. I think the most limited CE I have is my Risen 2 Keg! XD

So long as there is sufficient, good quality content included to make it worth the price tag, I'm not too fussed about it being numbered or such, but it does make it that bit more special. Also if something is numbered and limited, I'd be preapred to pay a bit more than usual for a numbered and truly limited edition.
Looking to trade Kid Icarus AR Cards. Click here for what I need. UPDATED 14/04/2014

Click here for my intro thread.
For items available exclusively to the UK, see my thread for help with item forwarding.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_Link View Post
So long as there is sufficient, good quality content included to make it worth the price tag, I'm not too fussed about it being numbered or such, but it does make it that bit more special. Also if something is numbered and limited, I'd be preapred to pay a bit more than usual for a numbered and truly limited edition.
Well put Cosmic!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM

comaamen86's Flag is: UK

numbered or coa i can take or leave, as soon as i get a ce i usually open like a rage induced chimp so there is half the value gone right there

Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 PM

rapister's Flag is: Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaamen86 View Post
numbered or coa i can take or leave, as soon as i get a ce i usually open like a rage induced chimp so there is half the value gone right there
LOL nice

"Nothing is missed, everything is pre-ordered." .................. -Collectors' Creed
WANT : Any Lollipop Chainsaw items
Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaamen86 View Post
Hilarious!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:26 PM

fattyuk's Flag is: UK

Collecting for value purposes or future "investment" is pretty stupid IMO, you should collect what you want for the whole point of collecting - not finicial reasons.

ESP where as recently where the collectors market is getting bigger every other person it's buying multiple copy's of new CEs keeping them sealed for resale purposes in the future..... and considering there's more than a few people doing this give it a few years when a) no ones interested in them or b) your going to have every other person selling sealed copys thus sealed copys won't be rare lol
Old 06-11-2012, 02:48 AM
*BANNED*

Robalvarez2010's Flag is: United States Earth

I will be completely honest. I first started buying collectors edition because 1 I have always been the type that if there are two versions of a game I always have to get the best one and for resale value since I don't open any of them up. But then after about 2 years collecting I started telling myself that really half of the games I own won't be worth anything because they are mass produced, because peoples mentality is that it will be worth money just like the Nintendo ones. But what people don't understand is that durning the Atari and Nintendo times no one really had the mentality of collecting that's why if you find something sealed or at least brand new from that era it's worth a lot of money. Not like now that everyone now usually collects them to try to make an extra buck, because honestly you know how many people think the same way we do now, oh if I keep this sealed it will be worth money. If you wait let's say 20 years to sell your game you will most likely see another 20,000 or even more at the same time unless is one that is very limited. Also during the Nintendo days how many games came out with a collectors edition maybe 5 of them not like now that every game comes out with one and they mass produced them. That's why the ones that are actually limited and I don't mean limited to 30,000 , I mean limited will be worth more money that's why I try to collect those and also I like the idea that I am one of the few who has it and who ever is on here and has there collector sealed and tells me they are not doing it for resale value then that's bullshit because then why will you have it sealed it the first place. This is my honest opinion so I hope no one takes it the wrong way.

Last edited by Robalvarez2010; 06-11-2012 at 02:52 AM.